Is he still hung up on her

I have been with my boyfriend now for 8 months. We are very happy in our relationship. But things about his ex girlfriend for 5 years still play on my mind. Like I found some provocative pictures that he kept in his garage. He said that he wasn't hiding them just that they were there. Every time I want to go out and have fun in the upper part of town-which is the next town over-it's where everything is at - and she lives and works at, it's a big deal and he avoids going. He lied to me about them being engaged.

He said that it was a abusive relationship, she would hit him. I am very upfront about my past relationships in the beginning, but he will not talk about their relationship what so ever! He says that she is CRAZY and might do something CRAZY if she saw us. I do know that he loves me very much b/c he shows it. But I need to know if he still thinks about her or still has feelings for her. By the way, I do not hate, but by the pic's she defiantly doesn't COMPARE to me.

She’s overweight, no educated, over tanned and old. I myself am young, educated, have a good job status, and am a very pretty girl. I’m not conceded but confused on shouldn’t he see the difference. Why would he fall so hard for her and put up with her crap. And then not go out of his way for me as he did her. Please Respond. Confused