Marriage forever... forever, ever, forEVER, EVER?

Do people still believe in marriage till death do us part? I'm just curious because if that's the case, WHY is the divorce rate so high esp for couples married less than a year?

Are people not taking their vows as seriously as before? Are people taking less and less time to get to know the person they are marrying? Or is the divorce rate higher, because divorce is now viewed by society as a highly accepted exit-strategy to a crumbling marriage?

The reason I ask is because my bf seems to be a firm believer in marriage i.e. til death do us part & all that good stuff. Whereas me - I don't think anything in life is certain and/or guaranteed, esp not marriage. It doesn't hold the same meaning. If it isn't working, divorce seems to be the quick fix esp as it's so easy to file now a days. So, I really don't see WHAT the big deal is with people afraid to commit i.e. get married because in MY mind if it ain't working you just get out!

My bf says this comes from my all-or-nothing mentality. I just wanted to know how you LS folks viewed marriage. Maybe there's something wrong with my thinking, but I think I'm somewhat cynical.

C.

I believe in the "'til death do us part" thing, but then again I was raised in a religious faith where marriage is considered Big Stuff, A Vocation Not To Be Considered Lightly, that Killing Is A Lesser Sin Than Divorce, lol ...

I think a lot of the "starter marriages" I see are among people who marry quickly because they are so "in love" but don't consider the realities of trying to merge two lives or lifestyles. That it's always supposed to be a honeymoon, happy-happy stage, perfect in every single way. And they're unprepared when reality comes crashing in (this is based on personal observation, mind you), resulting in the high turnover of short-term marriages. I also think our society encourages couples to divorce since marriage really isn't upheld as a viable institution and newlyweds often go into their marriage with the thought "I can always get a divorce" at the back of their brains. Why bother with marriage when you can just stay bed buddies and not have such a big legal hassle involved when it doesn't work out?

granted, there ARE good role models of married couples out there, but they're rarely publicized, especially in the entertainment industry. Nope, it's all about who's porking who, who has run off with whose betrayed spouse, etc., and it's sad to see how younger generations are basing their lifestyles on that, instead of steadier, long-term relationships between couples who work at making it work.

– end squawk –

To me marriage is an outdated concept. The institution was put in place to transfer/inherit money and property. Now women can own property and do anything they want so they don't need to be contractually commited. That being said, I will probably get married one day, and though I hope it will be forever, if it does not work out I'm OUT. I think that the divorce rate is so high now because people marry mostly for love, when that love dies out, they bail. When a lot more was involved in marriage and a woman was unable to walk away and make it on her own divorce was less common. I don't think marriage is anything to rush in to or have a casual "we can always get out" attitude, but it sure is a good option if needed.