Short and Bitter Sweet

Craig87

I hung out with this girl over summer and we hit it off pretty well. Everything was good, but it ultimately ended for what largely seemed like timing reasons and emotional compatibility. She never really opened up, which was fine and I never pushed that much. I was not thrilled when it was over, but it was short-lived enough and I guarded my interest from the onset. She seemed like she was figuring out a few things, and I was too.

She suggested to stay friends, frankly I was fine with it but I was not going to initiate. Ultimately she did. We ended up staying in touch for a few months afterward and had pleasant conversations. I went out of my way to initiate invitations in platonic group settings and so forth, but we could never meet up and every time I suggested something there was no follow through on her end.

Kind of feel like an idiot for agreeing to go along with the friendship since I wound up being the only person to make the effort in the long run. Anyway, I sent her a general text that addressed my feelings but broke off the relationship suggesting that maybe our personalities were just not that compatible despite a general affinity for each other and that nobody was to blame. She made a general positive comment but didn't really seem to care which is what I expected. I deleted the number etc... not that I would have an issue not reaching out but that is usually more of a symbolic process for me because ending relationships no matter what they are is always at least a little difficult.

Anyway, kind of stings a bit since I feel like I invested a little bit of energy and I was receptive. Feel a little blue about it, I know it will pass in a couple weeks if not a couple days, but this place provides spot for me to connect with other people about this stuff. Anyone have similar experiences?

Edited by Craig87
Everything was good, but it ultimately ended for what largely seemed like timing reasons and emotional compatibility. She never really opened up, which was fine and I never pushed that much. I was not thrilled when it was over, but it was short-lived enough and I guarded my interest from the onset. She seemed like she was figuring out a few things, and I was too.

This reads to me like neither of you really weren't all that into this... you two were more like "meh" with one another.

Happy Lemming

I've never had much luck trying to stay friends with someone I dated. When it was over, I moved on and did the "No Contact" thing.

Some of the women turned into FWB's... I'm guessing the "no contact" process made them miss me or want me??

• Like 1

I think we've all had it get awkward when one person is more interested than the other or when neither are that interested. Best intentions and all that, but things will just oftentimes get awkward. Sorry it stings.

There will always be rejections. The important thing is that you did not let fear of rejection stop you from going after what you want. The guys who play it safe, dragging their feet, never risking rejection, will never know what could have been.

I've been rejected. I am very blunt and come right out and tell the guy. When I'm rejected it helps me to move on quickly because there's no longer anything there to think about - how does he feel? ... what does it mean, etc.

Don't feel bad. You are moving along in life doing it right.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Let’s be friends from a girl = kiss of death. When a girl suggests this 9/10 it is lack of attraction. Your best shot in these cases is saying falling off and working on yourself. If she reaches out, steer it away from friendship

• Like 1

As you learned "let's be friends" is typically one of those things that one party says to lessen the emotional sting, occasionally even for both sides. It usually does not mean that there will be a genuine friendship.

Anyway, kind of stings a bit since I feel like I invested a little bit of energy and I was receptive. Feel a little blue about it, I know it will pass in a couple weeks if not a couple days, but this place provides spot for me to connect with other people about this stuff. Anyone have similar experiences?

I think you handled this really well. And you realized that you were not compatible, so that is a good thing. It does sting though I understand when investing time and your heart in someone only to have it not work. A neighbor of mine reached out to me not too long after I had a bad romantic experience with someone and we hit it off at first. I am super shy, so this rarely happens. Our friendship ended because we talked about possibly dating, but we were not compatible. Even for a friendship. I still feel heavy hearted about it at times. These kind of experiences are good in the long run