I got a letter in the mail

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

A few days ago I went down to the mailbox in my apartment building and got the mail. Inside the box was a letter. It was from someone I was chatting with on Facebook. He and I had never met face to face. He said he wanted to meet me after a few days of us exchanging banter. I said I wanted to see a picture of him because he had no pictures of himself on his Facebook page (all cartoon and movie characters). He said he didn't know how to send me a picture of himself. I said I am not going to meet someone who will not send me a picture of themselves or have one of themselves posted on Facebook. He said he still wanted to meet, I said I was not going to do that, thank you, without seeing a picture of him. When he pushed it for a third time I said I really would rather not, then he insisted again. And I blocked him.

I got a letter in the mail from him. He said in the letter than he got my address from the White Pages. He felt that we had a connection and he hoped that someday we would meet. I was blown away by this. The world's full of such socially awkward, lonely people. I find it scary but I am not afraid.

He's hiding. He clearly knows how to send a pic to you. He has your address, so an old fashioned picture through snail mail would have been an obvious option.

He's on FB, knows how to upload cartoon pics, but not of himself? Nah. He's hiding.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

Jesus, nothing creepy about that. I hope you know enough about him to report him to the police on the off chance Mr. McStalkypants doesn't give up.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

What? And still no pic? What a weirdo.

Don't become FB friends with strangers with no pics and no friends in common.

• Like 3

Umm, it's incredibly odd to me that you would communicate with some random on FB with no pictures and then speak about OTHER awkward, lonely people of the world!

Umm, it's incredibly odd to me that you would communicate with some random on FB with no pictures and then speak about OTHER awkward, lonely people of the world!

Good point. How did that start anyways? Do you share FB friends? If so, you could ask them about him?

• Like 1

Do you know his full name?

Is there a return address on that letter?

How do you know he's not parked in front of your home watching your every move?

The problem I see is that you told him very clearly, repeatedly, that you want to see a picture of him, and he repeatedly directly disregarded that. If he were above-board with you, he would listen to your concern and respond to reassure you.

He did the opposite.

He doesn't and probably won't ever consider what is important to you.

Edited by Sunlight72
Ruby Slippers

This is very creepy and stalkery. You have no idea who this guy is, and he persisted after you blocked him, using a method of communication any halfway normal person would realize is creepy and intrusive. He's sketchy, has terrible boundaries and sense of basic manners, and could be a seriously bad guy.

Don't respond in any way to his letter or he'll get clear confirmation of where you live.

I'd also consider reporting this to the police. If there's a return address, maybe they can determine if he has a record of this creepy behavior.

Be careful!!!

Scarlett.O'hara

It would have been creepy enough if he had created another account to get around being blocked, but to contact you at your home is on a whole other level.

This guy knows where you live and has deliberately withheld his identity from you. He wants you to know that he knows where you live, and that should concern you.

I agree with Gaeta, he could be watching you for all you know. Considering he is so secretive and has such poor boundaries, I would assume that he has, especially if he lives locally. After all, you would have no idea it was him.

Now that you are aware of the situation, keep your eyes open for anything that looks out of the ordinary (cars, people loitering, things going missing or being moved), and take extra safety precautions.

Hopefully it is innocent, but you can never be too careful.