Oh gawd, what am I getting myself into....

Popsicle

Started talking with a man online. We are both attracted to each other but he is 47 with a 3 year old. My kids are almost out of the house. Am I crazy?

Well, do you want to be involved in raising a child?

What sort of custody does he have?

Some people love children, and this wouldn't be crazy for them.

Me? I would be running for the hills like my hair was on fire.

• Like 3
Started talking with a man online. We are both attracted to each other but he is 47 with a 3 year old. My kids are almost out of the house. Am I crazy?

no, not really. if you dig each other then it's all good. his ex will probably have his kid most of the time.

• Like 1

I would date him, I miss my son being a baby and later, school age years were wonderful, and I loved raising him (he's 16). I'd probably be game. But that's not for everyone so if you feel you don't want to deal with raising a kid all over again, don't date him.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

The last man I dated was 48 when we started dating, 49 when we split, and he has two very young children as well (mine are teens). I gotta tell you, as time went on I was kinda like, "why did I get into this?" I met his children and enjoyed them very much, but the long term responsibility of adding two more kids to my mix if we'd ended up getting married or whatever really scared me, and I doubt I'd do that again. We did not break up because of the children at all.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah, I really have to think about this...what I want. I don't want to offend him, but I really not wanting to raise kids all over again.

What sort of custody does he have?

Not sure yet. I'm not sure it matters. I know at the very least he has a couple of weekends a month, maybe even every weekend.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
no, not really. if you dig each other then it's all good. his ex will probably have his kid most of the time.

Why do you say this?

I guess the odds are that most dad's do not have primary custody.

But my dad did. I slept at his house every night except for some weeks during the summer.

todreaminblue

no you arent crazy .....love is crazy...follows attraction or goes wherever and to whomever feels it...no matter the situation....or time ...or place...or age....or young kids attached.......deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2
viatori patuit

Eh, its what you make of it.

Kids can be a PITA. I am married now to a woman with two small kids. I met one when one was four and one was 7 months old (dad took off when she was pregnant). There are days where I would like to duct tape them to a wall in the closet, and days they are a blast to be around.

I just don't think perfect compatibility exists. There are always friction points in a relationship. I would prefer kids to say money or sexual issues. It is up to you though if the situation is worth it.

So, are you ready to mother a 3 year old?

• Like 1

For me, it's too young, but not completely out of the question if this guy turns out to be perfect. I would be okay, maybe, with a 6th grader (12ish), but loathe the junior high years and who knows how they'll be as teens. A biggie for me is if they can fend for themselves, so you don't always have to work around a sitter. Other issues are extracurricular activities. To not have to run around like a crazy person and spend a ton of money on the activities is great! I'm guessing you're not on the market for producing more offspring, so another issue is if this man wants more children.

I'm quasi seeing a guy who has a special needs child, and that's a big thing to consider.

Pretty unfair though when you think that just about every women a guy meets from 35ish upward is gonna have kids he;ll have to deal with.

You see it on date sites to , they literally ask he doesn't have kids but hang on , she has 3 and you have to love too.

My view , l mean sure, l'd rather she didn't have young kids , tbh l'd rather she didn't have any, or one maybe.

But hell if l fell in love with somebody that did well , we just gonna have to go with it and make the most of us l guess, that's ok.

l know it's only a few dates yet so it mightn't even matter anyway. But if you fell in love then so what , ya deal with that too.

love don't grow on trees right.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Pretty unfair though when you think that just about every women a guy meets from 35ish upward is gonna have kids he;ll have to deal with.

You see it on date sites to , they literally ask he doesn't have kids but hang on , she has 3 and you have to love too.

My view , l mean sure, l'd rather she didn't have young kids , tbh l'd rather she didn't have any, or one maybe.

But hell if l fell in love with somebody that did well , we just gonna have to go with it and make the most of us l guess, that's ok.

l know it's only a few dates yet so it mightn't even matter anyway. But if you fell in love then so what , ya deal with that too.

love don't grow on trees right.

Yeah, it's true, but it is also terrifying to think of it long term.....double the college expenses, weddings, taxi driving all over the place lol. I don't know. I'm 45 and in the "home stretch" with my kids both in high school. I have no desire to date someone who has never had kids, but I prefer someone also in the home stretch or older than me with grown kids so we can just look forward to grandkids together.

• Like 1
mortensorchid

I guess it's a double edged sword - put kids into the fold and you have a quadruple edged one.

I don't think it's unfair. No matter the circumstance, you're not going to pursue someone who has a "thing" you simply don't want. That's reality. Some things are going to be deal-breakers while other situations are more of a gray area.

• Like 1
  • Author

I thought I’d come and update. I decided that I couldn’t do long-distance so I guess that solved the problem. I guess I’ll have to wait until I get there to date.

My last relationship ended because of my exes 32 year old daughter. She mounted a long term campaign against me and in the end she won.

I wish he'd had a 3 year old instead. Would have been much easier.

No more men with kids though. I'd rather be single.

• Author
My last relationship ended because of my exes 32 year old daughter. She mounted a long term campaign against me and in the end she won.

I wish he'd had a 3 year old instead. Would have been much easier.

No more men with kids though. I'd rather be single.

Not all men and their older kids are that way.

You can tell fairly early how they’re going to be if you pay close attention and are honest with yourself.

• Like 2
Not all men and their older kids are that way.

You can tell fairly early how they’re going to be if you pay close attention and are honest with yourself.

So true. She was a nasty piece of work from day 1. And he was pathetic with her. I should have paid closer attention. On me that I didn't. I thought love was enough. Nope.

• Like 1

He can be a friend, but if you're done with small children, keep him as a friend and that's it.

• Like 1
  • Author
He can be a friend, but if you're done with small children, keep him as a friend and that's it.

Well there is one exception I would make, and that is for widowers.

My heart goes out to them too much...