Bots on Dating Sites?

Otter2569

I am on a dating sight but am very inactive. I occasionally go on and look around but rarely contact anyone.

98% of the time I get the exact same message from woman: "Hey there :)"

I think its an automated message to try and generate activity and con members. Anyone have any insight or similar results?

mortensorchid

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. "Hey there" is a greeting you would say to someone face to face, just like "Hello". I for one would always say "Hello how are you?" when someone sends me an IM / email through a dating website. If they respond, then I know that this is, in fact, a person and not just spam / a bot. If we continue a conversation, then yes absolutely it's a person. I would automatically think that it's a bot / spam if there are no photos uploaded of the person's face or if it's a photo of something else (a dog, a landscape, etc.). Also beware the headless torso. That's a whole other ballgame.

yep most of the fakes start of with that message also fakes reply quick and often message first the real ones take ages to reply back or never reply back at all and hardly ever make the first move

Nope, it's an option that only women have on POF. They have an extra button "Flirt" which automatically sends this exact message complete with smiley. It's intended to combat the common complaint by men, "women never send messages" by giving them a quick 1-button method of doing so.

Edited by PegNosePete
  • Like 3

If you mean Tinder. I used to be on it and there where bots who would message you.

You can tell they were bots as the profile pics were professional made up pics of models and there were links to other sites in the messages you received.

I took myself off Tinder after I found out I got more messages from spam bots than real life people.

• Like 1
  • Author
Nope, it's an option that only women have on POF. They have an extra button "Flirt" which automatically sends this exact message complete with smiley. It's intended to combat the common complaint by men, "women never send messages" by giving them a quick 1-button method of doing so.

Who knew?! I got suspicious when everyone used the exact same greeting :eek:

• Author

No. My account has been closed for over a year but a few weeks ago I got prompted for some sort of account update / new feature. My account was unlocked for about 2 weeks and that's when the messages came through.

I am on a dating sight but am very inactive. I occasionally go on and look around but rarely contact anyone.

I think its an automated message to try and generate activity and con members. Anyone have any insight or similar results?

I get this but I'm not bothered by it. I'm more concerned with whether they have a good profile and I find them attractive or not.

For those who don't like the one word or few word messages, you can set your profile to not accept messages less than <so many> words. That is an option.

Michelle ma Belle

I've talked about this on another thread.

Bots on OLD are indeed a reality, particularly if you're a non-member. It's been well documented for years but only really came to the forefront when Ashley Madison was hacked.

Not only are there bots, but in some cases, OLD parent companies employ people to pose as prospects and engage with members whose memberships are about to expire. It's a way to keep them on as paying members.

As with anything online, you have to take things with a grain of salt. If something seems too good to be true, then it mostly likely is. If something seem shady, then it probably is. It helps to be discerning and not get too invested in anyone until you've met them eyeball to eyeball.

Until then, just enjoy the ride :)

• Like 3
  • Author
I've talked about this on another thread.

Bots on OLD are indeed a reality, particularly if you're a non-member. It's been well documented for years but only really came to the forefront when Ashley Madison was hacked.

Not only are there bots, but in some cases, OLD parent companies employ people to pose as prospects and engage with members whose memberships are about to expire. It's a way to keep them on as paying members.

As with anything online, you have to take things with a grain of salt. If something seems too good to be true, then it mostly likely is. If something seem shady, then it probably is. It helps to be discerning and not get too invested in anyone until you've met them eyeball to eyeball.

Going back a few years I was a big proponent of OLD because I had a lot of success. Over time I noticed a change with the increased number of fakes, canned messages and good conversations that all dropped after a few interactions and thought something surely had changed.

Look out for the words "How long have you been on this site"? Always answer with why are you asking that questions? Bring out the fakers!

Bots are use to see where the site is going and doing. Google uses bots for it's SOE.