Interested in former coworker

ShiningMoon

ShiningMoon

Hello everyone!

Here I am once again asking for your kind help (I sure look like a heck of a neurotic at this stage ha).

Back in early 2015, I moved to a different country for work. At the time, I was very much caught up with someone I had dated the year before and was not even envisioning dating as an option in my life. I became pretty much closed off. I had no interest in men or dating. I was in pain, so I wanted nothing to do with men altogether.

On my first day at that new job, I was having lunch and spotted this guy (against my will). I was intrigued because he seemed very different from the rest of the people working there (his attire caught my attention). I didn't think much of it. He saw me on the very same day and started a conversation. After that day, he would often come up to me to talk or make silly (and sometimes salacious) jokes which at the time, I thought weren't funny in all honesty. I was attracted to him, but I have a strict policy against dating people in the workplace. It's a major no-no. Hence, despite the attraction on both ends, nothing happened. He asked me to hang out after work a couple of times and I turned him down each time.

I was rather cold and defensive around him which he didn't seem to mind, until I pushed it too far one day. Looking back, I'm embarrassed, but then again, he came across a bit strong. It also didn't help that he was a few years younger.

He left the company shortly after and I more or less regretted the way I treated him. I moved to another country a little bit after and told myself if we ever were to be in the same city again, I'd try and reconnect because I actually liked him. Forgot about him. That was about a year ago. Then, I started thinking of him again in January, had the whole "I should have given him a shot. He's the one that got away ... if only we were in the same city" kind of mindset. He was haunting my thoughts for whatever reason, but since he was in a different country, I just dismissed these thoughts.

Fast forward, I just found out he just moved to where I am currently located (that's so random, I can't even believe it myself). It's his first time over here, different country to him hours away from his home country. We're friends on Facebook, but we don't talk. I'd like to reconnect but I don't know how. After all, I was slightly cold though we got along, we (I) sometimes bickered.

I should also add that he is still single.

His birthday is coming up. Would this be a good idea to initate contact again?

Thanks guys!

If you want to talk to him, why not talk to him?

No need to overthink things, just do it.

If he's just moved to your city, offer to show him the best restaurant, the best bar or whatever, no need to wait until this birthday.