Why don't men follow back on instagram? Is it a dating site now?

I'm a guy and my girlfriend keeps asking me why I only have girls following me on there. That's because I have added guy after guy with the same interests as me on the site and only about 2 out of 50 will follow back. There are guys posting on there that have exactly the same interests as me, they post almost the same stuff exactly, they are into the same subculture as me yet almost none of these guys will ever follow back. Majority of time when I add females with the same interest they do follow back so that's why.

So my question is do guys only use that site to follow women and try and hook up with them or something? Every time I see a guy that it would be cool to make friends with they never ever follow back. I don't find many people in real life to chat to as friends that have the same hobbies and interests as me so that's why I like to meet friends online

PegNosePete

If I got a follow request off a random person I didn't know, no matter how many shared hobbies we have, I would ignore it too.

Not necessarily because I thought they were trying to hook up with me, but because I don't want my social media to be connected to a load of random people I don't know.

• Author
If I got a follow request off a random person I didn't know, no matter how many shared hobbies we have, I would ignore it too.

Not necessarily because I thought they were trying to hook up with me, but because I don't want my social media to be connected to a load of random people I don't know.

Really? I don't know almost anyone on my instagram because I use it to connect with people from all over the world that have the same things in common. Most of the people that follow me also have a load of random people on their page from different countries. These people are only posting things from this particular interest group. They aren't sharing personal pics or anything like that. There are many little communities of people on instagram that share interests, for instance: guitar collectors, metal heads, etc and none of them know each other personally.

Really? I don't know almost anyone on my instagram because I use it to connect with people from all over the world that have the same things in common. Most of the people that follow me also have a load of random people on their page from different countries. These people are only posting things from this particular interest group. They aren't sharing personal pics or anything like that. There are many little communities of people on instagram that share interests, for instance: guitar collectors, metal heads, etc and none of them know each other personally.

Everyone just uses IG/social media differently. Some people are very private, while others don't really care.

Personally, I have ~4K followers on Instagram because of my business, but I only follow <350 accounts and they are 1) people I personally know 2) accounts related to my company/industry and 3) meme accounts, lol.

But no, never for dating, but I do know some people who do, or at least find people to start talking to or they are interested in.