Just come out of a long term relationship. Is it too soon to start another?

serendipity90

serendipity90

I'm 25 and came out of a 2 year relationship at the end of October but was still romantically involved with him until last month. I didn't want it to end but he was unable to see me as much as I wanted to see him so I can see how we might be better off without each other.

In the mean time I've been on a few dates with someone who I used to go to school with and he seems pretty keen on me, I think things are progressing to a point where he wants more but I'm just a bit reluctant about how it will look me jumping into a new relationship so soon. He has helped to take my mind off my break up and I enjoy his company, I find myself smiling around him a lot.

He was asking me why I wasn't sitting closer to him on the sofa when we were watching a movie round his yesterday, I was a feeling a bit poorly but I want to take it slow which he seems ok with. I'm just a bit wary of the whole re-bound relationship thing.

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

There are no hard and fast rules on this stuff. You have to go with your gut. How do YOU feel about what's going on? Do you enjoy his company? Are you attracted to him?

Perhaps you should try to not over analyze things and just enjoy the moment for what it is. I'm assuming he knows you just got out of a LT relationship so he knows what the potential risks are.

If you want to take things slower then communicate that with him.

Good luck.

• Like 1

No, it's not too soon, if you don't think it is. Plenty of people have relationships back to back and do fine. Don't let other people dictate what you should do. If you think it's too soon, then don't do it.

• Like 1

In the only sense it would be "too soon" is if you're still hurt by the last relationship and in some way seeking comfort or the feeling of being with someone and not alone. You have to watch your own actions and feelings carefully. Make sure you're really into this guy and not just with him because it's better than being alone. Sometimes it takes the courage of being on your own to fully heal.

• Like 1

He has helped to take my mind off my break up and I enjoy his company, I find myself smiling around him a lot.

Make sure to tell him you are recently out of a relationship so he knows what he is getting into.

The thing with jumping right away in another relationship is at first you feel wonderful because they keep your mind busy and make you feel good but when you'll be totally over your ex, you risk not wanting this man here anymore as his job to keep your mind busy will be over.

• Like 1