How common is it for a guy to suggest watching TV on first meeting/date?

Bobbi7

So, I decided to go on a coffee date/meeting with a guy I met OLD. We met up for coffee, good conversation, etc, etc. He then asked me what my plans were later that night. I just told him I was going to stay in and watch movies. Thinking that it was going to be the end of our meeting, he then suggests that either I go over to his place to watch tv or him to my place. I was like Wth? I have no interest in having sex with the guy on the first meeting. Geez. Then, we just decided to see a movie at the theater, then that was it, no plans on seeing each other again.

WaitingForBardot

When in college I had a friend who's dating system was to invite women he had just met over to our house to watch tv. The "problem" was, we did not have a tv, which was immediately apparent upon entering our house. A few of them would just leave, but the majority ended up staying the night. The woman he eventually married was one of the ones that stayed.

• Author
Oh he wanted to Netflix and chill huh?

Hahahha

Yeah, I suggested salsa dancing, since he's an instructor, but he declined saying that he went dancing the night before.

• Author

So, basically its more "tactful" to say Netflix and chill instead of being straight forward and saying: Let's have sex! I never understood this theory.

• Like 1
Rejected Rosebud
So, basically its more "tactful" to say Netflix and chill instead of being straight forward and saying: Let's have sex! I never understood this theory.
Bobbi7 I notice in your posts that you are always trying to understand why some guy did or said something and what it means ... I think it will help you if you just think about what you feel and what is good for you! :bunny::bunny: I mean a guy you just met, would it be smart or safe to go to his or your house right now? What good would come out of it unless you really really wanted to have sex immediately? So, probably that would not be a good idea! And if he never calls you again you can be sure it wouldn't have been a good idea, right??
  • Like 1

It's called plausible deniability.

I have never had a guy suggest this on a first date. I think you may want to consider screening your dates better (said in the kindest way :)).

• Like 1
WaitingForBardot

Yes, it is. Not too difficult for me to understand anyway...

And I'll take a stab at the theory: If you invite a woman over to f uck, she has to make up her mind and commit on the spot. If you invite her to watch tv/netflix/whatever and she accepts, she's not agreeing to sex, but she's at least open to the prospect at that moment. Maybe not that night or maybe not even ever, but as of that moment it hasn't been taken off the table.

As long as you've been clear that your interest is romantic, and it's not just an invitation to a friend...

Edited by WaitingForBardot

Hahaha. I always invite a girl over to watch a movie when I'm expecting to get sex. It's just hilarious that he asked you are the first date!

Watching TV/Movies at someone's house ISN'T a date.

Hanging out ISN'T dating.

A guy should be putting effort into dating in the beginning. If he's just asking to sit on the couch, he's lazy, and most likely just looking for sex.

I don't know how common it is but since you are in your mid 30s I would assume any man your age who suggests this is not somebody you want to date.

• Like 3

Actually, this is why I don't do coffee meets. My first date/meet has to be something interesting. Can be free or cheap... But it has to show some creativity or effort.

This screens out the vast majority of incompatible men.

I agree with the other poster... Screen harder in advance.