Bday gift-- too much or just right?

ThisisIt606

I was inspired by another boyfriend/ bday gift post.

We are both turning 28 soon ( me this month, him next) and have been dating 4 months, we also are exclusive.

I went shopping this weekend to take advantage of sales.

Bday gifts

1) He shops mostly at a combo between 2 stores. I got him a nice plaid shirt from one of these stores ( on sale).

2) he's been talking about this color changing light that you can control via an app on your phone. He didn't buy it bc he said he couldn't find a good price/ justify spending the money. I was able to find a good price online and got that

3) movie gift card. Good for 2 of us and has his favorite character from a movie he wanted to see on it.

^ does this seem too much or just right? don't really have a budget. Obviously nothing crazy expensive but I'm usually a very generous person when it comes to gifts and like shopping for people.

My bday is this month and I know he already got a groupon for 4 ( covers me, him, and 2 of my friends) for an event I wanted to go to. This event is something I planned to do for my birthday with my friends and I also invited him. He found the groupon and volunteered to buy it. He asked me what I wanted for my bday so I also told him it would be nice to go to dinner and named a restaurant. he said he's still going to get me something in addition, he asked what I wanted but I told him I wasn't sure ( which is true). I just mentioned the dinner.

He's already gotten me some small " just because gifts". He said he sees things which remind me of him so he picks them up.

I've done this for him as well.

Final question... I'm going to get a bday card. I'll think of something to write but how is best to sign in? We haven't said " I love you " yet so I feel love, my name would be a little out of line. So far I've just been using ~my name.

I want to make it a bit more personal/ caring but not sure how to sign. Maybe a heart and my name?

The gifts you have gotten for him are good. Not overly extravagant, just right. And as far as the card goes, writing Love, name, does not imply "I love you" per se. I would go with that.

• Like 2
  • Author

Cheap implies something that is either extremely low in price or poor quality/ brand. None of this stuff is. I go for gifts that I know the person will like that also have a quality name behind them.

• Like 1

Are you going to take him out or cook for him on the day itself?

As for the card, you could sign "xoxo, yourname."

• Like 2

The gifts you got him sound well thought out. It's really nice that you got him something he really wanted, but couldn't justify buying for himself. You did good.

I like the idea another poster suggested for a card signature . Your name with some X's and O's.

• Like 1

I think your approach to the birthday gifts is fantastic. Especially the light one because he probably has no idea you remembered him talking about it. I like the presents you forget you even wanted til you receive them. Also, signing love and then your name isn't anything like saying "I love you" in my opinion. I wouldn't stress that too much.. Lastly, maybe I could get your advice as a woman. My girlfriends birthday is the end of the month. I already have a few little gifts I got her but I'm contemplating buying her jewelry. Nothing crazy, just a small diamond pendant.. We have been together for a few months, is this too much in your opinion? Should I stick to smaller things?

• Like 1

I think what you got him is perfect! It shows you've put thought into choosing something that he would like. As far as the signature on the card goes, i'm thinking something like "Yours, (your name)", or if you can think of something personal - maybe a nickname you two have, or a 'pet' name, etc.

If nothing comes to mind, or you don't want to use 'Yours', i'd just stick to using your name.

• Like 1
Cheap implies something that is either extremely low in price or poor quality/ brand. None of this stuff is. I go for gifts that I know the person will like that also have a quality name behind them.

I'm glad you have that opinion - but if you ask for opinions and criticize the opinions that you get that you disagree with, you're not really seeking opinions, you're looking for validation...but yeah, still seems cheap to me - what you're getting him and what he's getting you...just my opinion. Again, though, it's the thought that counts and there's nothing wrong if we have different opinions...

Stage5Clinger

I think they are just great. For me it gives me butterflies when someone took note of something I said or paid attention to what I like enough to buy things based on that. Super special he's a very lucky man.

• Like 1
  • Author
I think your approach to the birthday gifts is fantastic. Especially the light one because he probably has no idea you remembered him talking about it. I like the presents you forget you even wanted til you receive them. Also, signing love and then your name isn't anything like saying "I love you" in my opinion. I wouldn't stress that too much.. Lastly, maybe I could get your advice as a woman. My girlfriends birthday is the end of the month. I already have a few little gifts I got her but I'm contemplating buying her jewelry. Nothing crazy, just a small diamond pendant.. We have been together for a few months, is this too much in your opinion? Should I stick to smaller things?

Thanks for the input! Diamonds seem pretty expensive and a bit over the top for now in my opinion... but the idea of jewelry is very nice and thoughtful. Not sure what your budget is but a place like Swarvoski has nice crystal jewelry. Maybe a bracelet? These are nice, bc they are light weight and can be wrapped around the wrist in different designs/twists.

Slake Dark Blue Bracelet - Gifts - Swarovski Online Shop

good luck with the gift! :)

• Like 1

You got him 3 things. At 4 months in, that sounds like way too much to me but if the cost of the groupon is about what you have spent, then OK fine. I'm looking for parity here. If the gifts are comparable it's all good.

I would sign the card with Fondly, Warmly or Best Wishes but I would avoid Love at this point. The heart comes across as a tad immature; it's something you'd see a high school girl do.

Riptide, don't get the necklace, especially not a diamond necklace. For the 1st birthday keep the overall budget under $100 otherwise you seem like you are trying to buy her affection. Thoughtful is lovely. Over the top sends the wrong message. Besides if you get her diamonds now, how are you going to top that in the future?

Riptide, don't get the necklace, especially not a diamond necklace. For the 1st birthday keep the overall budget under $100 otherwise you seem like you are trying to buy her affection. Thoughtful is lovely. Over the top sends the wrong message. Besides if you get her diamonds now, how are you going to top that in the future?

Thank you, I think you both are right and I will save the diamonds for the future. I appreciate the tips. I will have to come up with something else as I only have 1 minor gift so far.