Wrong Texted

Betany

Hi, I'm new here with a slight problem that seems pretty small compared to what others go through, but for once my inner compass has me lost. (Apologies that my enter button does not allow me to separate paragrahs.) I have been seeing a guy for week and things were going good. He seems really into me and determined to date me and make a go of it. The other night we were texting and in the middle of it he texted "I want to see you Amberrrrr!" That is not my name and I asked him who that was. He said he didn't know and that he doesn't know any Ambers. He acted really perplexed, reminded me that his iPhone has been acting up lately (it was) and seemed frustrated. Even texted in capital letters "I DID NOT TYPE THAT!" Few minutes later he said he did a search and it was a text he sent someone over a year ago. I have heard of phantom texts reappearing, especially since iPhone users have the option to keep their texts forever, but have not heard of a repeat text going to someone else, rather than the original recipient. The next day he said he had been drinking the night before but still does not know how that text went to me in the middle of an unrelated conversation with me. To me it's simple, if he wants to prove what he said is true, why could he not take a screen cap showing the original text had a different date or time stamp on it? He says he has been very real with me and that after thinking about it, this person is someone who lives out of state that he does not talk to anymore. He insists he is not seeing or talking to her and he doesn't talk to multiple girls. Should I believe him? What outs can I possibly give him??

I would have never believe your story but it did happen to me.

I was texting back and forth with my friend when some strangers texts got mixed in our conversations. The spelling and sentence structure was really bad so we knew it was not her or I that had typed it. One of the strangers message even got inside my friend text so her words were mixed with their words.

Weird!

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes things do go wonky with technology. I've had something similar happen altho it wasn't on a smartphone/iphone.

Celeste.Carol

You two have been dating a week, and if you like him, give it a try. If red flags are going to pop up, they will come with time and that will give you a better read on him.

I've had some interesting technology-based experiences as well. One time I was texting my girlfriend and a text that had never been delivered (and I did check this on my phone after the fact: it never successfully sent) from three months earlier got mixed with my message and made both of them extremely confusing. I only figured out what happened when my girlfriend asked why I was speculating on an event that I had already happened. So, it might be entirely possible that his phone is sending you weird stuff-especially if it has been acting up.

However, if you think this is a red flag it's likely a good idea to go with your gut. If this the only time anything involving this guy has troubled you, then I'd say you should probably give him the benefit of the doubt and keep dating him. If there have been other red flags, then you might want to consider moving on or at the very least having a frank discussion about what exactly this guy wants from you.

-Reph

Ughh thanks guys. Now I'm going to be wondering if all those girls I texted and never heard back from got the text in the first place. lol

Anyway, you've only been seeing him a week. He's allowed to be seeing other people at this point. If it had happened after a few months when you're more serious then I'd be saying otherwise. So I'd give him a break on this, real or not.

I call BS! You can get a text jumbled... late or early... even not at all!... or a mixture of all of the above... but he was already having a text conversation with you so the likelihood of a "technology glitch" being the case in this scenario is extremely low... (as in I'm 99.9999% sure) he was texting Amber AND you at the same time and got mixed up... period.

btw.. I'm a technology major.

• Like 2
  • Author
I call BS! You can get a text jumbled... late or early... even not at all!... or a mixture of all of the above... but he was already having a text conversation with you so the likelihood of a "technology glitch" being the case in this scenario is extremely low... (as in I'm 99.9999% sure) he was texting Amber AND you at the same time and got mixed up... period.

btw.. I'm a technology major.

After a few days of thinking about this and some other things I don't like about how this is going, I call BS too so I'm going to move on. Thanks everyone for your advice. :)

My friend recently showed me two funny messages he accidentally sent (He uses siri) in one he called the girl the c word (He meant to sat can't!) and another it said "Mary" instead of maybe.

Stuff happens. And even if he was texting you and another girl, so what. It was a week.

If you don't like him then fine, dont see him again.

But I think after 1 week you shouldn't expect him to act like your finance.

• Like 1