This idea of "the one"

QueenDeath

With all of these people in the world that we meet, the paths that we cross, the amount of people that we connect with. Is there even such a thing called the one? or is it more like the one until the relationship comes to an end and then you move on to someone else? is it possible for someone to fulfill all our needs? does the one really exist?

No.

People in relationships find someone they like, who likes them back and that's it.

No such thing as "the one" or fate or any of that nonsense.

Plenty of people die alone. Where was their 'one'?

For me, it's this:

...[it's] more like the one until the relationship comes to an end...

The One [at a time, please]. ;)

It's not just relationships, it's life altogether. That's why the idea of a soulmate ("the one") is new-age and very romanticized.

I look back on my exes with fondness and continued love. They have helped me become who I am today, and it took a lot of energy and pain to get to where I'm at now. They were part of my journey, and I will always be grateful.

That being said, some people's journeys start from the moment they meet until the moment they die, while most others just go with the flow of life and meet who they meet, love who they love, and continue to grow as people.

I believe that our deep rooted fear of ending up alone is entirely constructed. If we grew up like early humans, constantly surrounded by family without even so much as any potential for societal pressures or necessary conformities, then none of us would feel starved for love to have to compensate for via romantic relations (meanwhile we have friendships, family relationships, or relationships with pets that are all equally a valid form of love, just different.) Society demands so much more of us now.

I digress. We will meet thousands if not millions of people in our lives. How can we be so selfish as to wish for only one to love, and whose love to experience?

• Like 2
Daisy-oliviaWentcher
No.

People in relationships find someone they like, who likes them back and that's it.

No such thing as "the one" or fate or any of that nonsense.

Plenty of people die alone. Where was their 'one'?

agreed! If there is the "one" you're already assuming that your happiness depends on them and that you are not complete as a person until you have found the "one". I don't buy it. Make it your priority to find the "one" within yourself first and when your ready find an awesome buddy that you can imagine growing old with. Partners should be like incredible add-on's or bonuses to an already fulfilling life, rather than the expectancy that they need to fulfill your needs in order to fulfill your life.

• Like 2
With all of these people in the world that we meet, the paths that we cross, the amount of people that we connect with. Is there even such a thing called the one? or is it more like the one until the relationship comes to an end and then you move on to someone else? is it possible for someone to fulfill all our needs? does the one really exist?

I don't think so.

I think they are the one for this moment in our lives. That moment may be days or it may be decades. We may see them walk away from us; we may see them take their last breath. They are the one for that period in time space.

oooh, is that haiku?

Edited by kendahke
  • Like 1