Girls in meetup groups

sb6052

In summary my question is basically about what to do with a girl who seemed to lose interest/not respond/turn you down if you have to see her again repeatedly in some activity.

So I've been part of a meetup group that does all kinds of events, from outdoorsy things like skydiving, hiking, and sports to social events like parties, bars/clubs, happy hours, movies, games/trivia, racing, etc. Though there is a variety of things to do, the main core of the group is relatively closely-knit, meaning the same recurring members tend to go to many of the events. I paid my membership up front several months ago so I'm making myself attend most of them to make the most of it. Though part of it is doing cool things, the other thing it's advertised as is a club for singles to mingle and find others they're interested in, possibly sparking relationships. In fact you have to be single and not married to qualify in the first place.

I've gotten to know several of the people, and at a social party event the other day I was talking to a girl who was a decent/friendly acquaintance of mine from several prior events, having talked casually and randomly ran into each other outside of it also. We usually hit it off pretty good and chatted lightheartedly for about half an hour, laughing and talking about some other people in the group who were weirdos or oddballs, or making fun of all the stupid attempts guys made on her in the past, and she mentioned that she was doing a “friends with benefits” thing with someone but wasn't sure how she felt about the idea of taking it further with them, as she had the feeling he was possibly going to get more serious. I mentioned that I do similar arrangements sometimes, and told her that taking it to the next level could be exciting, but that it was up to her and she should just play it by ear and do what she felt like. But then I kinda moved away from that topic to more fun things like music festivals, saying we should go to one because have the same tastes in common. I asked for her number, which she gave me, but now that I think about it she may have hesitated slightly; but it could just be an impression.

Anyway I was genuinely busy with many things the next few days and only texted her about four days later. She hasn't responded in three days, even though it says she read the message right after she got it because we have iOS. I'm not that bummed out about it, since I wasn't sure I really wanted to do anything with her anyway and was more just hitting her up to see where things could go, either in a friends direction or something else. I basically just wanted to see if she was interested in checking out a show sometime, either just us or as a group if that's how it turned out, but I never even got to propose this.

The thing is, since we go to many of the same events, it's going to be a bit awkward now going to some of these if she's also there. How should I deal with it? Do I even mention and address the text she ignored from me, or bother talking to her at all? I thought she was actually pretty cool just as a person/friend and am totally fine not doing anything romantic with her, but this just made things weird; she could've at least replied and steered the convo toward indicating that she wasn't interested that way, and that would've been fine with me. We also have several friends/acquaintances in common and hang out with the same circles within the group. Also, I don't want to come across as that needy guy who asks girls why they didn't respond, but I also don't want there to be an uncomfortable elephant in the room so to speak. But I don't know her that well that I feel comfortable just bringing this up either. Hmm.

I'm guessing the reason she didn't either had to do with the four day wait after last talking to her, or possibly that she thought I was interested in her and she meanwhile was actually starting to get more serious with her “friend with benefits”, not wanting to give me the wrong idea or get tempted or something. I don't get why she couldn't just say that, since we were on pretty good terms up to then, and she seemed like a really nice, upfront, friendly person. Also, before this she saw me at another event talking to/hitting on some other girls, which we even discussed and she seemed to have no problem with that at the time, unless she was masking how she really felt and I actually came across as just insincere and shallow and jerk-like. Hope not. At least with random online girls, if you're done with them, that's it. With these meetup groups it gets weird if you get turned down and still have to see the person repeatedly, especially if they end up with someone else lol.

Been to quite a few of these meet up groups and it can get a bit out of hand sometime with people talking behind each other's back, gossip and the like about who's secretly got a crush or who's seeing who.

In all honesty with your situation I would say that you don't mention the non-response and leave it at that. You've already been given the hint, she never responded. Leave it for a couple of weeks then sound it out and see how she reacts if you flirt and have a fun convo. She has maybe got her eye on someone else, maybe the FWB is more serious than you think, maybe thought you were moving to quick, or maybe some other reason you have probably no idea about.

What you said here

I mentioned that I do similar arrangements sometimes, and told her that taking it to the next level could be exciting, but that it was up to her and she should just play it by ear and do what she felt like

Sounds like you were trying to hint to her that you want a piece of the FWB action but not showing it through your actions as you likely have came across as just a friend by the way you acted when you first met her. I done this all too often with many of the women at the groups if I fancied them. It creeps women out if you befriend them then try and get with them after say a few weeks, and do it through indirect hints like you done rather than flirting and attracting her to you, not acting like a friend.

Also I'd say watch what you say about anyone in a group, especially to women, as they will think your a blabber mouth and can't keep things private so will be unable to trust you. Even if they instigate it try and not feed the convo too much and move it on to something else.

I think that you are saying is that you do fancy her but making excuses for yourself when she doesn't show that attraction back. you either want her as a sexual interest or a friend.

Edited by 2011
  • Like 1
  • Author

^That does make a lot of sense, actually. I was acting pretty friend-like and rather asexual the first two times I met her. Well I guess there was a bit of subtle flirting but not much. With these groups I tend to move slow because of what you just said; gossip tends to spread easily and if you act too soon and do something silly it can affect your chances with others. But that hesitation may have hurt me here. At the same time, I kind of abruptly sped things up with her when talking to her that time and asking for her number... maybe it seemed a bit forced or unnatural.

And yeah that time I was kind of hinting that I potentially wanted some of the FWB action but it was really just a shot in a dark; I saw what her situation was and just wanted to casually plant a seed there that may have turned into something down the line, and if not, no biggie; could still be friends since she was cool. I honestly didn't feel super strongly about this girl, and I was talking to quite a few others that night. But yeah trying to mix being friends with other things seems to not work that well.

These groups do tend to have some problems that I noticed. One is that by the very nature of this group's activities (doing things in medium sized groups over extended periods of time), guys tend to get themselves landed in the friendzone pretty easily if they don't make a move fast enough. Many others are dissatisfied with it because of this. I guess the organizers wouldn't be making money if they facilitated relationships that easily.

Another problem with this meetup group thing is that for some party/reception events, where the object is ostensibly to meet as many new people as possible, I've noticed that I talk to some girls and they really seem attracted and there's a real spark there, and then I excuse myself and go mingle around, doing the same with other girls, and when I come back to the earlier ones, they look pissed and will barely talk to me... I don't get this; I thought women like it when men have options and don't just hang around one of them the whole time. And besides, I was just getting to know some other people... But these got really jealous and catty just by seeing me moving around talking to others.

It seems kind of hit or miss if these groups are good for a given person. Some tend to do really well with them, but many people have complained that they aren't getting what they wanted out of them.

by the very nature of this group's activities (doing things in medium sized groups over extended periods of time), guys tend to get themselves landed in the friendzone pretty easily

Well, yes. That is the whole point of the site. It is for making friends and socializing. It's not a dating site. If you want that try POF or OKC or whatever. That's not to say you can't flirt or get dates with people there (I know many people who have), but many of the people who go are not looking for dates, they are looking for friends with a shared interest, activity buddies, a group to become involved in. Many have the "don't poo where you eat" attitude, that they don't want to make things awkward in the group by dating the members.

Many others are dissatisfied with it because of this. I guess the organizers wouldn't be making money if they facilitated relationships that easily.

They should have read the site before signing up then. If they want dates then they should use a dating site. It's not rocket science. Did the "organizers" promise to facilitate relationships? Or do they organize activities for people who want to participate in a group environment?

I thought women like it when men have options and don't just hang around one of them the whole time.

Eh, where did you read this? How old are you? It sounds like typical PUA rubbish. Any woman over the age of 18 will be pissed if you blow her off to go talk to other women. Wouldn't you be pissed if a woman blew you off to talk to other guys?

It's only awkward if you make it awkward. It doesn't have to be. Don't let one person keep you from doing what you want to do. That gives her entirely too much power over living your life the way you want to. Continue going to your MeetUps. If your paths cross, don't completely ignore her. Say hey in passing or if she says hi say hi back. Be friendly towards her, but don't linger or focus any attention on her. Focus on connections with others in the group. Stay cool and relaxed and take it from there.

Here are two examples...I do MeetUps too. And even though I don't go for dating, inevitably there is attraction at some point. It's all how you handle it. One guy I met pursued me and I wasn't interested. He made things very awkward, even getting angry at one point. I didn't like his attitude so I would avoid him when we were on the same outings. (He no longer shows up to that meet up.) Another guy showed interest. I let him know I wasn't interested and he kept his cool. We still show up to the same MeetUps and even hangout and catch up on the trail...

So it's all how you handle yourself. Live your life.

LookAtThisPOst
Well, yes. That is the whole point of the site. It is for making friends and socializing. It's not a dating site. If you want that try POF or OKC or whatever.

Let me clarify what the OP was more focused on as he's a paying member of the singles-focused Meetups which caters to and open to the idea of dating.

What's kind of interest that it's all moot considering that I see the same faces in the "singles" labeled Meetups as I do the "non-singles" labeled Meetups. :laugh: Well, this is at least where I live. The same members tend to mix into the other Meetups regardless.

If they want dates then they should use a dating site. It's not rocket science.

Seriously? Considering the non-responsiveness men get on dating sites and the perverts/married people etc, you honestly think this is a better option that real life, face-to-face Meetup gatherings?

Here are two examples...I do MeetUps too. And even though I don't go for dating, inevitably there is attraction at some point.

Right, think about it, people have met out in public by different means whether it's a Meetup or not. Either through non-Meetup events, Facebook gatherings...by the way, some of the Meetup organizers went the way of Facebook to save money and brought Meetup members, on Facebook, along with them.

But the chances of getting together at a Meetup, dating, etc is just as likely at any other public event which has been happening pretty much since the beginning of time. lol

Edited by LookAtThisPOst
  • Like 1
  • Author

Yeah sorry I should've clarified a bit better that this is at least partially a group oriented toward finding significant others. When they "sell" it to you, they do mention that as being a big part of it, though I guess not everyone necessarily does it for mainly that reason. You have to be single to join (but to them that only means not married; people can date and stuff in it). If you get married during your membership, then you're out, haha.

So as far as other people's experiences, how should one approach these things? How fast is too fast to go for a girl and her contact info in these groups? Some girls attend events very frequently while others only go to maybe one every month or two, despite paying a lot of money for a yearlong membership.

I went to another tonight where I was talking to a girl for 2 hours. We stayed till the end at last call and as I was planning on leaving with her and getting her number, some other people from the group just joined us randomly and sort of essentially "c*ckblocked" me lol. One was a plain unattractive looking girl who seemed into me and might have been jealous at the girl I'd been talking to all night (who was really pretty and a brand new member), and the other was some dude who was probably into the same girl I was but who had gotten nowhere with her, unlike me. Oh and some older guy who didn't seem to have any idea what was going on also joined us.

Anyway I then hesitated about getting her number since we were leaving in this group of 4 or 5 and the conversation turned all boring and general cause of them. That kind of threw me off and the girl I was talking to ended up just saying see ya and went to her car before I could get a number off her. Though she gave me this kind of prolonged glance at the end without saying anything. I at least found out what the next event she's attending is, telling her I might see her there...

I wonder if it was due to the circumstance that that happened, or if she just wasn't ready to hand out contact info yet. Obviously when meeting a total stranger on the street, you have to get their info then, but with these groups there's a good chance you'll see them again. Only problem is, you don't know when that is necessarily. And by the time you see them again they may have lost that initial interest or spark that you cultivated (there's even people in this thing who's names and backgrounds I totally forget, despite recognizing their faces from past events, because I see them so sporadically). I've come to learn the hard way attraction has an expiration date.

Oh and as an update, with the other girl I mentioned in the original post, I haven't actually seen her since. I haven't gone to as many events lately since I've been hanging out with other friends, but luckily so far I haven't had to encounter that situation. And either way, you guys are right; I shouldn't really worry about or dwell on that, and just play it cool, be casual, etc. don't give her any special attention if I do happen to see her. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Edited by sb6052
Grumpybutfun

If she was talking about her FWB situation with you, she wasn't into you as other than an acquaintance. Be casual and friendly but don't mention anything and move on, try not to think about it anymore. It is wasting your mental energy you might need for someone more available to you.

As far as the last encounter....the one that was cockblocked....see what happens next time you meet. Suggest something instead of just getting her number...if she says she likes plays or wine or jazz...plan something with her so you two can attend it together.,that way you can get to know each other better while having a set outing.

Good luck, group sounds fun,

Grumps

Edited by Grumpybutfun
  • Like 3
LoveRefreshed

Yeah, grumps hit the nail on the head. Women don't usually mention to a guy they would be interested in that they are actively ****ing another dude, unless they want to make you jealous, but in this situation I doubt it.

I would just ignore her to the extreme. If you cross paths, say hi and be courteous but brief. Go talk to the other women there, and get to know some that would be interested. She won't be so dense to not know that you're doing this because she ignored your text, so if she is into you, she'll pursue you.

LookAtThisPOst
Anyway I then hesitated about getting her number since we were leaving in this group of 4 or 5 and the conversation turned all boring and general cause of them. That kind of threw me off and the girl I was talking to ended up just saying see ya and went to her car before I could get a number off her. Though she gave me this kind of prolonged glance at the end without saying anything. I at least found out what the next event she's attending is, telling her I might see her there...

Well, you COULD have asked for her # right then and there. But the benefit of Meetup is that it has its own messaging service. Just pull up off the RSVP or member list there and then message her there.

That's what I sometimes do with a woman I've met at an event. :-)

Talking about Meetups in general. I would say over 90% of those that are even at events that are NON-singles focused. At least the "Social" clubs where people mostly either meet at restaurants or bars/grills, sometimes there is a band and dancing is involved, as they are mostly single anyhow. Regardless, men are still flirting with the women and vice-versa.

Sadly, yes, if you're the kind of person that prefers to wait to get familiar with a woman by seeing them routinely at Meetups, you may never see them again either...that's the only drawback (and thus my reason for contacting them through the Meetup messaging center). Esp. the +1s that aren't even members.

• Author

^Yeah, the group I'm in isn't actually the real meetup.com thing, but just a local events group for singles where you get memberships for a year or more and then go to whatever event you want (there's usually a different one every day); most of them are free or only have a very small charge. The drawback with my group is that there isn't a messaging service (that I'm aware of anyway), and they don't let you know the people who are on the lists for a given event or who RSVPd. They say this is for safety reasons and basically I guess is to avoid stalking-like behavior from some members, haha. But it does make things inconvenient. You would think after vetting and interviewing each member they would have more trust in them, but no.

And I know I shouldn't have hesitated and just gone for the number like I planned. I have this issue where I always have a very strict preconceived notion about how a given situation is going to unfold and plan everything according to that scenario, but if things change I'm not great at adjusting and often get thrown off because my plan hinged on certain things and specific conditions. But at least I realize this, and will make an effort to be more adaptable and flexible.

Part of the reason I didn't go for it was because I felt sort of bad about doing that in front of the other, less attractive girl who had been into me for a while. She's a really nice, sweet person and I could tell she wants me to open up to her and get to know her more, but I'm just not interested in her that way (I still act really friendly toward her, but more on a superficial level, and wouldn't really go out of my way to hang out with her). But I didn't want to just get this new girl's info right in front of her while having never made any effort to do so with her in the numerous events I spent with her.

So this illustrates another problem with these groups. I like the relative anonymity of just dating random people either from online or other places... At least you don't need to worry about what other people in the group think and don't always have people (esp. those you know) around you. Less drama and gossip. I notice I also tend to do better in approaching women when I'm just on my own, and not thinking about how friends or acquaintances are perceiving my approaches. That's why I don't like wingmen so much. I can afford to do some wacky or unconventional things that sometimes work and not have to worry about being judged by others I do know haha.

And thanks grumps, that's good advice. I will actually think of something to invite her to instead of just asking for her number with no aim behind it. Only problem is, I looked at the calendar recently and noticed the next event she said she was attending isn't going to be for over a week from now. I'm hoping that's not too long and she won't have lost all interest by then.

LookAtThisPOst
^Yeah, the group I'm in isn't actually the real meetup.com thing, but just a local events group for singles where you get memberships for a year or more and then go to whatever event you want (there's usually a different one every day); most of them are free or only have a very small charge. The drawback with my group is that there isn't a messaging service (that I'm aware of anyway), and they don't let you know the people who are on the lists for a given event or who RSVPd. They say this is for safety reasons and basically I guess is to avoid stalking-like behavior from some members, haha. But it does make things inconvenient. You would think after vetting and interviewing each member they would have more trust in them, but no.

And I know I shouldn't have hesitated and just gone for the number like I planned. I have this issue where I always have a very strict preconceived notion about how a given situation is going to unfold and plan everything according to that scenario, but if things change I'm not great at adjusting and often get thrown off because my plan hinged on certain things and specific conditions. But at least I realize this, and will make an effort to be more adaptable and flexible.

Part of the reason I didn't go for it was because I felt sort of bad about doing that in front of the other, less attractive girl who had been into me for a while. She's a really nice, sweet person and I could tell she wants me to open up to her and get to know her more, but I'm just not interested in her that way (I still act really friendly toward her, but more on a superficial level, and wouldn't really go out of my way to hang out with her). But I didn't want to just get this new girl's info right in front of her while having never made any effort to do so with her in the numerous events I spent with her.

So this illustrates another problem with these groups. I like the relative anonymity of just dating random people either from online or other places... At least you don't need to worry about what other people in the group think and don't always have people (esp. those you know) around you. Less drama and gossip. I notice I also tend to do better in approaching women when I'm just on my own, and not thinking about how friends or acquaintances are perceiving my approaches. That's why I don't like wingmen so much. I can afford to do some wacky or unconventional things that sometimes work and not have to worry about being judged by others I do know haha.

And thanks grumps, that's good advice. I will actually think of something to invite her to instead of just asking for her number with no aim behind it. Only problem is, I looked at the calendar recently and noticed the next event she said she was attending isn't going to be for over a week from now. I'm hoping that's not too long and she won't have lost all interest by then.

Well, I know what you mean by asking someone out in a group setting, but it is a fact that the majority people have coupled up in a group setting or "through friends."

It's the nature of the beast and usually how it's done. I dunno, I've tried the whole "approach a woman cold turkey at my local-small town bistro while waiting in line", but they always get this stranger danger wall that goes up.

They would be just very short, cordial, make minimum eye contact and leave with whatever they purchased. If you're going to be approaching a woman, you better have a very good reason...and that's through an event where other people gather..i.e.- Meetup or sometimes a person in the Meetup will invite a select few to attend events (maybe at their homes), for a BBQ or house party.

Some are pretty hush-hush about who their dating, so I know what you mean. They purposely keep their FB statuses "single" until one day you see them with a brand new boyfriend...over night!

You're wondering, "She's always come by herself to our events, how come she never brought him along?"

She told me she didn't want people gossiping, but I figured...what's the big deal, it's a dude that doesn't even hang in our circles. In fact, it was an ex of hers from over a decade ago! lol

I have to say, my only real means of even making friends IS through Meetup...I know, sad to say. As I think a lot of Meetup members, and the reason why they rarely attend events....basically this is why you see 1,000+ members, but only the same 20 show up routinely, is that the remaining non-attendees tend to already have friends...and are just browsing the site, nothing more. They would be in a situation where all their friends weren't available, and the were stuck alone on a Sat. night.

One time I spotted a woman, very local to me, signed up for quite a few Meetups, but never actually attended events...so..being that she's right down the road, figured I'd just use the messaging system to touch base...get to know her that way.

I've actually scored dates in this fashion. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Yeah maybe I need to look into joining the actual Meetup thing as opposed to this thing I'm doing. Because there are only a handful of actually attractive, interesting, and appealing (in a multifaceted way) girls or women in this. Most people are just a bunch of somewhat sad, lonely, single middle aged guys who have completely vanilla personalities, and I know would make good "family men" if they could just get women or find the right ones; it's just that they're such "nice guy" types that they rarely attract them, even in things like this. It's like most of them are just hoping something will fall into their lap by joining these things. And the women are also mostly in their 30s or so, and not the kind that most people would go for.

There are a few "hot" people but they seem to rarely only show up to the social/party events like once every few months and that's it. But those are always successful in getting what they want at each event they attend. They just go for it and then that's it. Those seem very out of place among the rest of the usual crowd, and often don't even talk or interact with the others or do the activity type events, instead just going for the best looking women.

ChicagoSparty

Who doesn't instantly turn off the 'read' notification on their iMessages? Leaving it on is amateur-level texting.

• Like 2

There's no need for this to be awkward at all. If you really want to address it with her in person then the best thing to do is say something like "hey I texted you the other day, wanted to see if this event was happening on this day or this day, wasn't sure what the schedule was". Or something completely unrelated to romantic interest in her so that she takes it as no big deal. That alleviates the awkwardness and might even make her feel stupid for not getting back to you and explain why without feeling bad about it now.

Versacehottie

I think you should just act normal. Be nice like it's no big thing. Anything else would be weird. This is also your best chance if you want the possibility of something happening with her. There were so many plausible scenarios in your posts that just tells you it could be anything as to why she didn't get back to you. Just let it be and treat her like a friend. See what happens from there, be cool.

I think grumps is right though. Usually girls don't say anything about other guys, especially a FWB situation, to a new guy they have attraction to. It would be one of the worst things you could say to a guy (in a girl's mind) because you are effectively telling him you are not available and to say FWB situation also lets new guy know you are slutty. Not things a girl usually wants a guy to know or think of her if she's interested. And then you hinted at a FWB thing with her for yourself, right when you met her? Whoa, she probably thought that was creepy. Her fault for bringing up FWB situations with a new friend who has obvious flirting interest in her (bad judgement) but then you jumped on it as if that's all she was about. Did I misunderstand? It might have creeped her out to be friends with you as well. Sorry.

• Author

As an update to the situation in the original post, I did see the first girl again recently at a happy hour event, and it was interesting. As I entered I saw her on my way in and just kinda nodded and said hey as we walked past each other, and she just said hey and kept walking as well. I then went to talk to some other friends or to meet new people in another part of the room. Interestingly, after about 5 minutes or less she came over to me and started talking to me on her own accord. We chatted briefly and joked around a bit (I never mentioned the text thing), and then I casually excused myself and moved on to another group of people I was interested in talking to. About a half hour later, she came up to me again to talk while I was talking to some other people. We talked for about 10 minutes about random things, including dating apps and things we used, and again I never brought up the text. The closest we even got to that topic was when she alluded to not replying to some outrageous messages she received from people on dating apps or sites, or how some guy at the last meetup was creepy and followed her home the whole way or how some guys wouldn't stop texting her and being annoying. I figured I could've mentioned it here but didn't really feel like going there. I guess the less attention I showed her the more she seemed interested in me.

The outward reason she wanted to talk to me was to notify me of some private event she was hosting with some friends since one got cancelled, but I can't help but think there was something else to it. Either way, by now I kind of lost a lot of the initial attraction I had to her anyway and wasn't very invested in trying with her, so I just told her I might see her there and went on with my night. Also got a few more numbers later on.

I texted her like two days later asking about that event and she actually responded promptly this time. We chatted back a forth a bit until I sent one last message that was kind of silly and flirty, to which she didn't reply. But I saw her at the private event and we had a pretty good time, though nothing really came out of it. For a brief moment I thought about asking her how her FWB situation was going by now but then thought better of it (still if she's on multiple dating sites and this singles meetup she can't be taking that guy all that seriously). She looked like she was expecting me to make a move but I didn't, and basically just kept it friendly. So that's it.

Unfortunately the other, second girl I mentioned in this thread (who I was actually much more into) didn't work out... I did see her at another event and we had a really good time once again. Another guy was hitting on her but I could tell she wasn't interested in him, and at the end of the night it was just me and him and her kind of hanging around waiting for the other to leave. Eventually he gave up and excused himself, and I actually finally got her number and asked if she'd like to meet up for some drinks sometime, which she gladly accepted, and afterward we talked about Walking Dead for another ten minutes. She told me to text her after giving me her number so she knew who it was but for some reason I didn't do it then; don't know if I forgot or just wanted to wait, but I only texted her two days later and she hasn't replied in five days. Ugh... I don't get it sometimes. Not sure what I did wrong there.

Maybe she later thought about it and came under the impression that I purposely attended that event just because she said she'd be there (I kind of let out that I wasn't very interested in the event itself), which may have struck her as a bit creepy? I don't know. Or else maybe the friendzoned guy who kept hanging around her later informed her that I was hitting on multiple girls at another event or just made up something negative about me to ruin my chances with her.

Edited by sb6052

There is a saying....don't poop where you eat.

However, there is one surefire way to avoid the awkwardness.....find another woman to be your girlfriend and it won't bother you anymore.