Complicated relationship

dollchick

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year. He is my best friend and we love each other very much. Recently,he has expressed to me that he doesn't want me to move to another state with my family that he hopes I choose him bc he is in love with me and wants to start a future with me. Well sadly,our relationship is not that simple. First,my parents do not approve. He is a felon for selling drugs however he no longer sells but he does still smole pot about 2 to 3 times a week. He has huge debt,never saved. All my friends also feel he isn't right one for me bc of all I described but I do love him,no doubt in my mind or heart. Part of me feels I belong with my family but I am 29 and love this guy. But another part feels,like everyone is,right and I'd be,making a huge mistake. He knows the pot makes me upset and he lies to me alot to cover it up. He says when we begin out future and,we live together he will then def stop bc he knows I don't like it. It's hard for me to believe him though because of all the lies.

You love him, that's great but if he really loved you then he'd change for the better. You're not asking for anything unreasonable, you're just wanting him to get his life together. He seems to be in a big mess and it will never improve unless he does it on his own; it's almost impossible to motivate someone when they're too lazy to change themselves.

Even if you're right, are you happy being with him and how things are turning out? If you try to imagine what things would be like with someone else, like the type of guy your family would want you to to date then do you think you'd be happier with life?

If you breakup then the pain lasts for a month or a few, but staying with him lasts forever. If you just get threw it then life after will be a lot better.

Edited by wb1988
  • Author
You love him, that's great but if he really loved you then he'd change for the better. You're not asking for anything unreasonable, you're just wanting him to get his life together. He seems to be in a big mess and it will never improve unless he does it on his own; it's almost impossible to motivate someone when they're too lazy to change themselves.

Even if you're right, are you happy being with him and how things are turning out? If you try to imagine what things would be like with someone else, like the type of guy your family would want you to to date then do you think you'd be happier with life?

If you breakup then the pain lasts for a month or a few, but staying with him lasts forever. If you just get threw it then life after will be a lot better.

Good point. .....