How long does it take for a girl to get over a 5-year relationship?

Earlier this year, I met a girl who just broke up from a five-year relationship a couple of months ago, partly because of family's disapproval.

We got along well since we met, although at times we do have difference in personalities and preferences. At times it seems she's still affected by her past relationship.

I have been getting mixed responses from her, even for friendly gestures such as invitation for lunch. She didn't respond to some texts and wasn't responsive on certain days.

I don't know if it's me or is she not ready to believe in anyone yet?

Clarence_Boddicker

Many girls get over the relationship, before they end it. Not sure how they can do that, but it's not uncommon. Every girl is different of course.

Earlier this year, I met a girl who just broke up from a five-year relationship a couple of months ago, partly because of family's disapproval.

We got along well since we met, although at times we do have difference in personalities and preferences. At times it seems she's still affected by her past relationship.

I have been getting mixed responses from her, even for friendly gestures such as invitation for lunch. She didn't respond to some texts and wasn't responsive on certain days.

I don't know if it's me or is she not ready to believe in anyone yet?

There's no way she is "over" a 5 year relationship after only 2 months. She wants attention and distraction from the pain but deep down knows she can't handle or get into another dating scenario yet. Spare yourself and don't reach out to her again or respond to her.

• Like 1

Five years is a long time to invest in a relationship. It's really hard to process that length of time, and I'm guessing you don't know much detail about it. So you can't second guess her at all.

If you like her then you're going to have to give her a lot of space, which may not suit you.

She needs a lot of time to adjust to life without her ex, and feel whole as an individual. I agree with the others it's best to back off, and let her play around, date other guys, and enjoy her freedom.

Things don't usually work out dating someone who is newly single, because you both are at different places in your lives, and she wouldn't be emotionally ready to commit to someone new.

Her rebound period will last between one to 1.5 years. This is just a rough estimate, nobody can say for sure, even she won't know until the day comes when she is over it.