What are the chances of meeting a guy at the gym?

LongBeach00

LongBeach00

I did a gym membership a few years ago. When I worked out, I was mostly on the trendmills. I was hoping to meet a guy there, but most of them were too busy lifting weights and what not. And some people were just minding their own business. I never ended up meeting anyone. Should I spend money on a personal trainer or join some fitness classes to meet guys? Because being on a trendmill alone, didn't attract attention.

soithascometothis

This is what makes everything so confusing for guys. I thought the general rule was that women were at the gym to work out, and wouldn't want to be approached by guys looking for dates. Especially during/after a hard work out. That said, I have friends that have met girls at classes (yoga, etc). I can't imagine trying to hit on a girl who was on the treadmill unless there was some reason to, like she dropped her wallet.

The thing to keep in mind is there's been a lot of talk about "Not approaching women at gyms, because they're busy working out and don't wish to be bothered".

While men are sure to check out ladies at the gym, most of them probably aren't going to up and approach you. Especially if it's their regular gym.

What you need is a social situation where you're encouraged to interact with the opposite sex, so a boot camp, pump session or whatever.

This approach also has the advantage of socializing you with the same group of people over time, improving the chances of an approach.

Guys wont approach in the gym, 99.5% of Women hate being approached - so we just won't do it.

You will need to break social norms and approach guys at the gym if you want to meet a guy.

• Like 1

I've gotten dates from 3-4 totally cute girls at the gym, but they all approached me. You get some seriously cold responses from women at the gym if you try hitting them (in particular when they're working out) - I like to look, but it's not worth the effort to do any more. Treadmills and cardio equipment are absolutely the worst - at least with equipment you can share a few words with the person when their going from machine-to-machine, or exercise-to-exercise...just what do you do if they've been 20 minutes on a treadmill, are super sweaty, and panting and can hardly say a word?...you'd be better off with a cold approach in the parking lot.

From my personal experience (I'm a woman), guys will not approach you at the gym (especially when you're working out).

The friendliest lines I got is their short "hello, hi, hey".

I've seen guys at the gym checking me out. Some guys who happen to train on the same days, same time slips with me for a period of time. I do notice that they could sneakily look at me while I don't notice but others than that, nothing happens.

Yes, indeed you should do the classes (not women type of classes but just kickboxing or boot camp where there is a mix between men and women. You may get lucky ;-)

No guy wants to be the creep at his local gym. If you're in good shape there's a 99% chance guys there are interested, but they won't approach you because it's generally considered bad gym etiquette.

If you want to meet someone at the gym, just running on he treadmill alone won't do it. You'll have to actively be available to talk (hang around at he drinking fountain, go to the steam room afterwards) or else give some obvious green lights - smile at a guy you're interested in, or make a comment/question related to working out.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

I actually work as a personal trainer, and this topic amuses me because it's men that say they want to meet a woman at the gym 99% of the time. Whereas most women stress how much they don't want to be hit on at the gym. In fact, a few of my female clients have actually taken a pair of headphones not even attached to anything and worn them just to keep guys from talking to them.

My advice would be that you make your initial interest in a guy you're attracted to really blatantly obvious. Just walk right up and say "You're really hot and it's getting in the way of my workout." Plus it doesn't hurt if you're wearing something sexy as hell at the time either. :sick:

CrystalShine2011

I wouldn't try dating anyone at the gym except for particular situations...if you are in a spinning class or something on the side, I think it's appropriate. (Mainly because there are more opportunities for contact.)

People will get on to me about saying this, but I saw this work a few days ago.

Go to the weights or gym equipment

Don't wear earphones

Act like you need help and don't know what you're doing

I saw a woman do this just the other day, and it WORKED. She had a guy talking to her in no time. I don't know if it was romantic or not, but she's on the right track (getting men to talk to her).

Or like other people said join a class but not a girly one.

• Like 1
No guy wants to be the creep at his local gym. If you're in good shape there's a 99% chance guys there are interested, but they won't approach you because it's generally considered bad gym etiquette.

If you want to meet someone at the gym, just running on he treadmill alone won't do it. You'll have to actively be available to talk (hang around at he drinking fountain, go to the steam room afterwards) or else give some obvious green lights - smile at a guy you're interested in, or make a comment/question related to working out.

This ^^^

The fact that most adhere to a 'Headphones on/World off' policy makes conversation in general a rare occurrence at the gym. I communicate with my fellow gym-goers via a sequence of eyebrow raises designed to let them know that:

a: I only have one set left.

b: Yes, that 20kg plate is free.

c: Still got three sets left, so you're welcome to cut in.

LongBeach00,

In my experience I didn't meet guys at the gym per se but in the coffee bar afterwards. The gym I belonged to had a snack bar where people could chat after working out.

Does your gym have such a facility?

OMG so easy for a girl. Just walk up to a guy and ask him to show you how to lift XYZ. Then start a conversation.

• Like 1

I've been approached a few times at the gym, even when I have headphones on. Usually they say... "I've never seen you before, did you just join?" then the conversation goes from there.

Don't wait around for them to approach you though, do what PogoStick suggested :)