Is online dating worth it :)

GTR King

Is online dating websites worth it or not?

Has anyone had any success from it? E.G Long term dating??

I have Been on OLD for a year and 5 months since being single.

I have dated 3 girls so far & talked to quite a lot more...

2 (one date)

1 (3 dates)

My profiles are good & have good pictures.

Just wondered what people thought of online dating?

Edited by GTR King
losangelena

I found my BF on there. We've been together six months so far.

Before him though, I met about 30 men over the course of 10 months who didn't work out for one reason or another.

Living in a huge city, it gave me access to a dating pool that I wouldn't have otherwise. I work from home (no coworkers), and most of my friends are married or gay (and have very few single, straight male friends), so being out and about and meeting someone would be tough for me.

People will say that OLD is a waste of time or that everyone lies about themselves, but even if you meet people IRL, there's still a certain amount of work you have to do to get past that best-foot-forward facade. I consider myself to be a sincere, relationship-minded individual, so it was only a matter of time before I met someone similar.

I've had plenty of luck with OLD, although it's definitely not for everyone. Truthfully, it sounds like you're struggling a bit - 3 dates in 17 months...that's a bit slow. If I sign up, it's 3 dates in the first 1-2 weeks and 1-2/week thereafter until I find something I like. I've met people I've dated for years online. The first 1-2 dates are usually a bit rougher than if you met them elsewhere, or already knew them, but thereafter it's effectively the same.

If it honestly is taking you ~6 months to line up a date, I'd try changing a lot of things - what you say in your first message(s), your photos, the sites you're on, etc. I'd target at least 1+ new first date each month, otherwise I don't think it's worth the time and effort.

That said - I think it's totally worth it - I meet about a third to half of the people I go out with online...it's super easy, in particular if you have a busy schedule and only feel like browsing late night while on the sofa.

• Author

Thanks for advice last girl i met form OLD (tinder) Spoke for 2 months 3 dates then went cold on me (Annoying but happens so o well)

But i am gonna keep at it and see what happens you never know i might find the perfect one.

I do go out clubbing & do other things & get to meet girls in person but i am shy around them so don't talk much etc...

I have nearly had 3 dates with other girls but they flaked...

All the girls/guys I know said my pictures are perfect and my profile is fine.

I normally say Hey How are you? You been up to much? :) xx

I am on Tinder POF OKcupid

Edited by GTR King

Lets see:

* my best friend found her man online a year ago and they're moving in together in 2 months.

* my daughter's best friend met her husband online, they are expecting their second child

* my youngest brother met his wife online

* one of my brother in law met his wife online

* Some people at work met their SO online.

Looks like where I am it works for people.

• Like 2
  • Author

Yeah it dose work but where I am there few girls on there but most still on there from year ago...

CrystalShine2011

I found my BF on OKCupid and we have been together for a couple years now (with a break..long story.)

I think it's a great way to meet people!

• Author

Only started to properly look on OLD about June/July last year as wasn't ready to date

1st Girl August (POF)

2nd Girl November (Tinder)

3rd Girl Jan/Feb (Tinder)

Speaking to another girl from old (Tinder) Got her number last month

Worked great for me. Lots of dates. One 3 month relationship. Then met love of my life - 7 months so far!

Sister met husband on Match.

• Author

Wow that's good :) longest I talked to someone was 2 months. But gonna keep at it.

Been on POF for two years on and off. During that time I've had ZERO dates and had my confidence battered down to nothing with a constant stream of trollworthy comments regarding my appearance and height. I've recently started getting in better shape and started getting some more positive responses.

However, I had to block one weirdo on there and the next day she created a troll profile and went on the warpath calling me a psycho, a danger to women and that I had I had severe issues if I felt it ok to block somebody as beautiful and sought after as her!

The penny finally dropped that OLD is generally a cesspit of despair unless you are in the top 2-% of attractiveness (Google '80/20 rule' and 'OKCupid 80 percent') That realisation, along with the subsequent deletion of my profile is the biggest boost to my self esteem and self respect that I've had in the past two years.

• Like 1

I think it works for some and not others.

The site I am on is very 'erm... well none of the local chaps want to talk much... at all. They like to look but not talk or meet and many of them have been on there for a very long time. Its the same old faces popping up for both males and females.

When my subscription runs out I will not be renewing. I may try another or I may just go out and have fun. Not decided yet.

LookAtThisPOst

To me, it's been nothing but mostly unresponsive women in my area that are of course, STILL on the site(s) as permanent fixtures. Most have unrealistic expectations which keeps them single if they've been on the site for years.

I think most are on there use it as an extension of Facebook to feed their egos and garner attention. Most of which likely aren't even really serious about meeting in person.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

OLD is a great acronym for it because online dating gets old really fast..LOL

1) Women tend to turn to OLD when they're at the end of their rope. So instead of letting things develop naturally, they push too hard for something serious right away.

2) Women are so guarded and uptight online. In real life, you can walk up, be direct, and playful with her because she's sees you and knows that it's light hearted. Since women get sex emails all the time online, they don't know how to relax and let their guard down.

3) Some women want to qualify and interview you for 1-2 weeks just to meet for an hour over coffee. It completely kills the organic feel of natural interaction. Way too much chatting and emailing online, when it's better just to cut to the chase and meet right away.

• Like 2
OLD is a great acronym for it because online dating gets old really fast..LOL

1) Women tend to turn to OLD when they're at the end of their rope. So instead of letting things develop naturally, they push too hard for something serious right away. I don't. Guard is up yes but figure it couldn't hurt to meet new people and expand my horizons a bit...

2) Women are so guarded and uptight online. In real life, you can walk up, be direct, and playful with her because she's sees you and knows that it's light hearted. Since women get sex emails all the time online, they don't know how to relax and let their guard down. Yes OK I admit I am a bit guarded, but then I am a bit in real life meets too! Its very difficult to get to know someone as a person when in the back of your mind you know that your meeting them to see if they are a potential husband... makes it all very... false...

3) Some women want to qualify and interview you for 1-2 weeks just to meet for an hour over coffee. It completely kills the organic feel of natural interaction. Way too much chatting and emailing online, when it's better just to cut to the chase and meet right away.

You see yet again you believe that women have it easy and are all picking and choosing. Men are just as bad! I know if I wore a low cut top I could probably get more response but to be blunt I would rather not flash my boobs all over the internet and save them for one special chap!

Internet dating is like shopping at Amazon (thank you to the person who said that first)... its not as natural as meeting people as you go about your day. Now I think some are far better in person and some are better at doing this sort of thing on line.

Look at this post - I have exactly the same thing in reverse. The men are still all on there, still all logging on and its the same ones over and over again... for months on end, yet do they want to say hello? No. The way I see it is that it really is their loss not mine. I have been friendly, open, chatty but not a bean. Not so much as a "hi how are you doing"... I am not going to waste time on men who will not have a conversation!

• Like 2

Had a couple of brief relationships. I say yes, it is worth it because I met a lot of people I wouldn't have otherwise. Without online dating I probably never would have had a boyfriend by now. Would never had my first kiss or sex.

• Like 1

I have almost always found that sussing someone out properly beforehand works. The times where I have quickly met up with someone, it's been disappointing.

I have almost always found that sussing someone out properly beforehand works. The times where I have quickly met up with someone, it's been disappointing.

I don't see anything wrong with forming a rapport online over a few weeks or so. To me, it's no different that making a friend from a *insert interest of your choosing* forum etc.

Remember ye olden days of the mid-2000s when you'd chat on MSN before meeting?

• Like 2

I would say definitely give it a go, although I wouldn't use it as the one and only source of dates.

I did date one chap for 8 months that I met on OLD.

Good luck !

• Like 1
I would say definitely give it a go, although I wouldn't use it as the one and only source of dates.

I did date one chap for 8 months that I met on OLD.

Good luck !

Aries AND Scouse? I feel a disturbance in the force....:laugh:

You see yet again you believe that women have it easy and are all picking and choosing. Men are just as bad! I know if I wore a low cut top I could probably get more response but to be blunt I would rather not flash my boobs all over the internet and save them for one special chap!

Internet dating is like shopping at Amazon (thank you to the person who said that first)... its not as natural as meeting people as you go about your day. Now I think some are far better in person and some are better at doing this sort of thing on line.

Look at this post - I have exactly the same thing in reverse. The men are still all on there, still all logging on and its the same ones over and over again... for months on end, yet do they want to say hello? No. The way I see it is that it really is their loss not mine. I have been friendly, open, chatty but not a bean. Not so much as a "hi how are you doing"... I am not going to waste time on men who will not have a conversation!

Toodaloo, your experience is definitely not the norm for women. Most women get so many messages they don't know what to do with them all!

I was on match.com many years ago and I received 500 (yes 500!) messages within the first three days! Those guys were like vultures I swear! It was freaking ridiculous!

What sites are you on? Do you have lots of pics? Not that having lots of pics matters, sometimes too many can be a turn off. I posted two on mine, and was still hit up so many times, I couldn't keep up with them all.

Again, from what I have been told from other women, this is the norm, so you may want to think about some new pics and/or re-doing your profile. I dunno, just seems strange that you would get nothing... :(

I had the exact opposite experience! If I ever did OLD again, I would want to meet for a quick coffee right away....like fitnessfan suggested.