with a Girl that's been through abus. relationship

GivingItAshot

GivingItAshot

I don't think there's anyway to make this story short.. so I'll just start.

Over a decade ago I dated a girl for possibly 2yrs. We were somewhat younger and I was very carefree and not committed. I cared for her, but was still probably not mature enough to properly settle down. At some point we went our separate ways. She was probably pretty hurt at the time.

Now 10+yrs pass. I entered a relationship a couple months later that lasted 10 yrs and honestly went nowhere (long story but definitely not my fault). She dated one or two people and ended up with a guy who she would one day marry. She moved to another state... Apparently this guy was physically abusive. She left this guy just several months ago. I had ended my 10+yr relationship several months prior (but it was on the downhill for a long long long time). Almost a month after leaving this guy, we somehow bumped into eachother. I always thought this girl was someone I got alone with well. Always had lingering feelings for her. So immediately we were dating and sleeping eachother again.

Her work schedule is very difficult to work around.. During this time were were probably only seeing eachother once a week. Actually at first twice a week then once a week. When were with eachother.. things become really emotional. In other words it's obvious we are very serious about one another. She has always believed she was meant to be with me. She still has feeling of love for me etc.. Could see spending the rest of her life w/ me etc.. I somehow see the same possibility but I'm not going to verbalize possibilities.

As these 2 months go on.. I'm more into starting a relationship than she is. She warns over and over again. Things like I'm not ready, I'm healing etc.. etc.. She even states how she wished she had met me a couple months later after figuring her life out, because she's afraid one of us will ruin the chance we have together in the future. I push to see her more often.. She sorta pulls back. I'm probably definitely more ready to start something than she is..

After a couple months we sorta.. backed completely off. I require more attention. She is unable to give it, states things like "I need to figure out what makes me happy". I need to find myself. Nurse myself back to health etc.. I'm trying to be supportive, but I'm also slightly needy in terms of seeing a person. What I'm having difficulty understanding is how to handle all this. I don't understand abuse relationships/marriages. I would think it's easy to move on, but apparently not. I'm trying to determine how to handle this and trying to understand what's best for her/us. I haven't spoken to her for a little over a week now because I thought me being absent from the situation might be best. Also I was slightly annoyed w/ fighting to see her just that one time a week. This is far out of my realm of expertise so I'm hoping someone who can relate can explain how best to proceed.