So...instead of using online dating, instead do meetup?

Christina107

Another post on here got me thinking...that meetup sounds a whole lot better than doing straight forward dating sites, because what I have noticed, is that people that have met and are friends through meetup, are facebook friends and actually hang out in real life-2 people that happen to be single. Now, I'm not saying that they are dating, but wouldn't they have better luck spending time and getting to know them on a friendship level-just hanging out and what not-no pressure and who knows...maybe later on the line, they will decide to date? Instead of a using a cold dating site, where one meeting is either a hit or miss...without really getting to know that person and not spending time hanging out with them in a group setting??? Do you know what I mean?

EngnimaticResponse

Many people treat Meetups as a dating site, but it isn't. It is what it proposses to be: a site to find like-minded people to get out and DO something. If you make a few friends in the process, great. If you meet your future S.O., kudos.

Well, it gives 2 people something in common which makes it more likely they will hit it off, like when you both join the knitting group. And next thing you know you're making little baby socks together.

If you go into meetups to go after women your advances might not be appreciated. It's more of a friends thing.

They do have some singles groups, could try those though.

LookAtThisPOst

They do have some singles groups, could try those though.

Sure you could...however, at least in my area the SAME people in the NON-Singles Meetups are ALSO on the SINGLES Meetup groups as well.

ALSO, I'm starting to find the same people on Meetup on these dating sites as well.

Pretty much 90% of the people in our Meetups are unattached and have some kind of agenda about meeting someone with romantic potential and tend to co-join BOTH worlds between Meetup and dating sites.

OLD & MeetUps are tools. If you are trying to meet new people both have pluses & minuses.

While some people do need multiple interactions with someone determine if they want to date, it's not unheard of to meet somebody at any event & use that as a platform to set up a date. Like OLD it can be as simple as a coffee or drink & doesn't have to progress all the way to dinner at first.

Just be wary of getting "friend zoned" if you wait too long.

PinkInTheLimo

The good thing about meet-up is that the pressure is off. You are not thinking the whole time: "Is there is potential here?" For me I am asking myself constantly that question and I think it prevents me from developing something in a natural way. I find that you have so little in common with someone you never met that meeting a second time feels very artificial. Maybe it feels better when you have enormous chemistry but I am not really a love at first sight person. I need to feel comfortable and relaxed around someone and for that you need to meet each other more often. But if you keep having dates just for the sake of "maybe we will feel more familiar with each other" then it feels so forced.

• Author
Christina107

Like this one guy I saw he checked out my profile on okcupid. Well, I know him from one of the meetup groups that I'm in. I've never been to any of those meet up events for that group, but I do check it regularly and I see that he often attends these happy hours. And I check out the pictures on there and he's always taking these flirty pictures with the girls in that group. Also, I see that he's friends with about all of the girls from meetup on facebook-and some of them happen to be single. So, what are the odds of that? He adds them on facebook-something personal that any girl can see about his personal life. Now, if that was a dating site, there would be no flirty pictures or facebook friends. Now, if I would have attended one of those meet up events where I met him in group, he probably would have added me on facebook and have taken a flirty picture with me..

CrystalShine2011
I think Meetup is good to compliment online dating - especially if you're looking for things to stay busy with.

I agree with this, use it on the side and mostly for friendship. :)