Dating a French Men

freetolove

I recently befriended a French guy and he asked me out. He's extremely attractive and successful yet, he says he's looking for a long term relationship and came on pretty strong. Anyone else have experience with French men? (obviously it various but I want to see if anyone had success or failed dating a French guy)

I've never been with a Frenchman but was once with an Englishman. Even though we spoke the same language, I was often pretty astounded at the cultural differences between us. Plus, he was one of the close-minded, opinionated types of English and that didn't help, and he was very verbally abusive.

No matter what culture someone is from, if they try to move the relationship forward too quickly, that's always a red flag. You might also run into cultural differences that you can't bridge. I'd be careful if I were you.

still_an_Angel

I dated one, we got along really well, loved his accent! We shared a lot of our past with each other as we were both intrigued how it was growing up (him in France, and me in Asia). I don't think there was anything particularly different about him being French, but then again, nearly all of the guys I dated were foreigners. In the beginning I was thrilled to get the chance to discover if the saying "the French are the best lovers" is true. And he was pretty good! He was pretty adventurous and taught me a lot of stuff on how to pleasure men, again, this is just the way he is, its got nothing to do with him being French. He was the first guy who gifted me with a huge dildo, for when he's not around and I get lonely lol!

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

He's a French guy...they always come on strong.

French guys are known as hard-core pursuing and swooning types who end up fooling around on the side later on, in my neck of the woods.

If you do that as an American guy you get called a "cheater" or a "player"...if you're a French guy who does that you're just called French....bastards.

Edited by Ninjainpajamas
  • Like 2

most men come on strongly and yeah, the "I am looking for a serious relationship" line is also served by the large majority of men, irrelevant of nationality.

so I'll give you the same advice as if you were dating a guy of any other nationality: keep your legs crossed and watch if his actions match his words. In time, you'll be able to tell if he's legit.

i dated French speaking men for the last 10 years, the only communality that comes to my mind is that they might enjoy playing hot and cold on you.

cheers

Many french people do not have puritanical/presbyterian views on monogamy like Americans do, so understand that going in. If you require strict monogamy, don't deal with French men unless you're just in it for a dalliance. Watch the movie "Le Divorce" to see what I mean.

Is he French from Europe or French from Montreal? I see you are in NY, if he is from Montreal than there is not much difference between you 2 except he is much more liberal in his way of thinking than Americans. What you guys call liberal down there we call conservative up here. He is certainly 100% pro-abortion, pro gay-marriage, against death penalty and don't try to get him into a Church. Other than that you got yourself a good guy, a good lover, and yes he does understand monogamy.

• Like 1

Hahaha, the stereotypes that are being excreted here... Then again, the french have their fair amount on stereotypes on americans...

Luckily among the french as well as among the american there are many who're just normal guys.

OP, don't take the french bashing too seriously, they're good or bad lovers, just like any other men you encounter. Yes french culture is less strict and less religiously influenced, so they may be less hung up on social norms. That doesn't mean they can't ever respect a partner.

Good luck!