I hope I did the right thing?

edelweiss

I've been seeing a fellow for a few months now, and I've been feeling very strongly for him. Care about him deeply, want the best for him and for us, and just want to be there for him really. As much as I can. I feel like he probably feels similarly, but he is maybe a little timid in the love department. I thought I'd take that step. So I told him that I love him. I only wanted him to know that and nothing more.

I wasn't expecting him to say it back or anything, honestly. He embraced me, kissed me, and we just stayed nestled together the rest of the night. Next day like usual. Talking as usual. Everything is the same.

I don't want to press it. I'm not going to ask any questions, or inquire as to how he feels; I just want to ride it out and see what happens. Is that the best approach to this? My only main concern is this:

I don't want him to feel like he has to be a certain way, or do anything different because now he knows how I feel about him, plain and simple.

So did I do the right thing in telling him, or have I inadvertently made him feel trapped or what? I guess maybe I should have thought about it beforehand. But really, I thought it was important for him to know.

WonderWoman911

I don't think you made him feel trapped because of his response after you told him that you loved him. You said that he embraced you, kissed, etc. so that shows that he probably was happy to hear that. But don't pressure or expect him to tell you he loves you. It's only been a few months the two of you been dating, and he probably don't have those feelings for you right now. It may take time. But yes, the best thing to do is ride it out and just allow things to flow.

• Like 1
  • Author
I don't think you made him feel trapped because of his response after you told him that you loved him. You said that he embraced you, kissed, etc. so that shows that he probably was happy to hear that. But don't pressure or expect him to tell you he loves you. It's only been a few months the two of you been dating, and he probably don't have those feelings for you right now. It may take time. But yes, the best thing to do is ride it out and just allow things to flow.

Thank you, this reassures me c:

That's really what I thought. I'm a natural over-analyzer, and I guess because it was my first time being the first one to say anything about how I feel in a relationship...I was a little intimidated by the situation at hand.

LoveRefreshed

your fine. It feels great to be told that, especially from someone you care about. It also took quite a bit of bravery to say it, especially when you say it first and in a position of uncertainty about it all.

The fact he embraced and kissed you after is good. Maybe he isn't ready to say it, but I think most men would have responded unfavorably in that situation.

The first girl I dated told me after nine months and I was on the fence about breaking up with her. I responded with.. "I... don't"... and then we had a good long talk, with tears, and we both ended up single.

It is a risk you have to take, but I think his response was fine. I think most men will feel an obligation to be honest if they are feeling far away from it.

WonderWoman911
Thank you, this reassures me c:

That's really what I thought. I'm a natural over-analyzer, and I guess because it was my first time being the first one to say anything about how I feel in a relationship...I was a little intimidated by the situation at hand.

You're welcome. Just like LoveRefreshed said, it definitely took bravery to express that to him. At least now he knows how you feel about him, and hopefully things will work out for the better and not the worst.