How long should you let men do the "chasing"?

Eighty_nine

Just curious.

Guys, when is it safe for women to start initiating contact regularly, planning dates, etc? After you're exclusive- or after you're officially in a relationship?

Or, do you think even during the first 6 months of a relationship, it's a good idea to remain just a little aloof, unavailable now and then, etc. to maintain a little "mystery?"

After the first date.

Seriously, if you like the guy and enjoy spending time with him and talking to him, don't play games.

There is a gap between being aloof and needy. Just be normal.

Honestly, if a girl never initiated contact with me or suggested any sort of activity for a date, I'd start to think that she didn't like me and move on.

• Like 4

I think for the first one month or so he should initiate. You can plan, but he should do the asking out. Later on make sure there is balance in the relationship. Meaning, about 50-50, with him initiating a bit more, but making sure you don't turn around and start chasing at any time during the relationship. No matter how long.

• Like 1

I don't believe in the concept of chasing, which implies one person running away and the other running after them.

I like for a man to take the lead but I reciprocate. I don't pretend to be aloof or busy or things like that. I don't drop my life for him, but I don't sit around consciously ignoring calls or doing deliberate things to seem "mysterious."

The first few dates I like for a man to initiate contact or plan it but after I'm sure I like him if I want to see him or invite him out I don't hesitate.

• Like 13

Straight away. To be honest, the most important thing to me if I like a girl is her interest level and enthusiasm. I've done enough 'chasing' to last a lifetime.

I don't believe in the concept of chasing, which implies one person running away and the other running after them.

I like for a man to take the lead but I reciprocate. I don't pretend to be aloof or busy or things like that. I don't drop my life for him, but I don't sit around consciously ignoring calls or doing deliberate things to seem "mysterious."

The first few dates I like for a man to initiate contact or plan it but after I'm sure I like him if I want to see him or invite him out I don't hesitate.

This is the type of woman that I very much appreciate dating. I am very happy to show her a good time.

• Like 1
Just curious.

Guys, when is it safe for women to start initiating contact regularly, planning dates, etc? After you're exclusive- or after you're officially in a relationship?

Or, do you think even during the first 6 months of a relationship, it's a good idea to remain just a little aloof, unavailable now and then, etc. to maintain a little "mystery?"

It is about balance. You should reciprocate when a man calls or texts, for the first month in a balanced way. He calls, you answer, he texts, you respond consistently and as soon as it's convenient. Don't play the mystery game by not responding in a timely fashion. And, you are available when you are available. Don't say you're not available if you are. There will be times when you're not available and that's legitimate. Mystery is about you and what you are all about. Let him see that slowly. It shouldn't be a mystery that you are interested in him. Think about how you feel when a man doesn't respond in a timely manner or suddenly stops be available or inconsistent.

After the second month and he has been consistent, you can call or text first and when he responds you answer. Then the ball is in his court again. At this point, I initiate once to every three of his. Later make it one to every two of his. He does need to see a reciprocal thing going on.

• Like 2

Never initiating a text or a call is game playing.

If she wants to text a guy and tell him something she should. None of this waiting till he texts so she can reply.

• Like 1
From the beginning.

A woman can plan, ask for & pay for even the 1st date.

I'm not so sure about this. I think it's pretty much expected that men make the move. Women give signals and the men are supposed to pick up on it. There is even a whole thread out there by Phoe about how women can take the initiative and everyone said that women shouldn't.

A message for a message strategy always works. If two mature people like each other you will not have messed it up by showing obvious interest.

MercuryMorrison1

I would even go as far as to say you can start initiating things right away, ''Before the First date''.

Some guys will be intimidated by this because it is somewhat uncommon for women to just do a cold approach on a guy she's interested in. But other guys will appreciate the directness.

One of my biggest frustration's in my years of dating have been that sometimes women play aloof to long...Then when I start to pursue someone else, they get pissed at me and act like they don't understand why I quit chasing them, and then I get pissed because I don't understand why they have an attitude with me because as far as I knew they weren't interested!

So I do appreciate it when women are direct with me.

venusishername

I think if you like each other, there's no reason to 'play games' to appear 'mysterious' or 'not too available'. If you are genuinely unavailable, then that's different of course. I think it's perfectly fine to say, "I'm free on Thursday or Saturday" so he has a choice, and it's not like you're just sitting around waiting for him to ask to see you.

As far as initiating, I personally feel comfortable with a man initiating a bit more until an exclusive relationship. But it is important to reciprocate, if you are so inclined. But in general, I would say that I would only start initiating more regularly/frequently once we were in an exclusive relationship.

chimpanA-2-chimpanZ

No chasing, no games. A message for a message is good advice for the first few weeks. I've dated guys where we talked constantly and where we didn't talk very much, and it's so frustrating to be with someone who you suspect is holding back in some way. You shouldn't have to bait the other person into wanting more! You shouldn't even spend very long wondering if the other person is as interested as you are. I don't like to appear too eager, but when my boyfriend started sending me kissy emoji and George Michael lyrics on a daily basis I was totally at ease.

Contrary to what some dating sites suggest, no one thinks "well, I did really like her but she just texted me first, guess I'd better delete her number". Even an old-fashioned guy would be super jazzed to be contacted by a woman he likes.

• Like 1
Contrary to what some dating sites suggest, no one thinks "well, I did really like her but she just texted me first, guess I'd better delete her number". Even an old-fashioned guy would be super jazzed to be contacted by a woman he likes.

Exactly. Women get scared that the absolute worst thing they can do is come across as needy and clingy. Yes, that's a turn off for many, but initiating once or a couple of times is not needy or clingy. If you text someone 10 times in a row with no response, that's a different story. If a guy gets turned off by you dropping him a line, then that's not the guy for you.