How much does FB matter in...

GTO06

Hey guys,

So, I'm 30 and I've never had a facebook page. How much of a role does FB play in dating if any? I'm considering making an FB page since it seems to be the only thing my relatives use anymore to share photos. I've always disliked the idea of putting personal info on a public site, so I never made one and not sure if I should or not.

To make a FB page or not to make a FB page, that is the question! :confused:

FB has secuity options so only your friends you have invited can see photos or anything on your profile. You can also use an alias which my brother does, you don't have to put any real info on your page such as relationship status (which I would recommend). You can also restrict anyone from posting things or make comments on your wall, etc. It's all up to you. FB can be the anti-christ in dating. FB stalking is common. People can come on here and whined about their new BF/GF not changing their relationship status from single to "in a relationship". Or jealous guys whining that some guy liked his GF's photo. You can avoid the drama just by using the controls to limit people from seeing or posting on your page.

• Like 1

Also, some people actually seem to use FB to meet people...I haven't tried that.

Yeah, I put public stuff that anyone looking me up can see and hopefully get an idea of what makes me tick.

But, I still don't put certain things on FB cuz with all the selling of your information to who knows (maybe the NSA) and because of what I do for a living (they may access my page to check up on me or something...I've heard cases of people getting in trouble and/or terminated for what they put on their FB).

Michelle ma Belle

As much as I HATE social media of any kind it has turned out to be a necessary evil particularly when it comes to one's job and even with family sometimes.

If you're setting up a page to stay connected with family and good friends especially if they're far away, then I think it's a good thing. There are privacy settings available on FB that can and will prevent your profile from being searchable or viewed by just anyone.

For added security and/or privacy you can opt out of using your real name as already mentioned by a previous poster. That's what I do. I am virtually impossible to locate online unless you know what my unique handle is. Easy peasy :)

If you're setting up a FB page JUST for the purposes of dating or to meet new prospects to date, I wouldn't bother. It's been my experience that social media channels have more of a destructive reputation than anything positive.

Personally, I admire anyone who chooses to remain "off the grid". My partner is like this. He's 32 and makes a very conscious choice NOT to participate in the whole social media frenzy that seems to plague our existence these days.

And I love him all the more for it!

• Like 2
As much as I HATE social media of any kind it has turned out to be a necessary evil particularly when it comes to one's job and even with family sometimes.

If you're setting up a page to stay connected with family and good friends especially if they're far away, then I think it's a good thing. There are privacy settings available on FB that can and will prevent your profile from being searchable or viewed by just anyone.

For added security and/or privacy you can opt out of using your real name as already mentioned by a previous poster. That's what I do. I am virtually impossible to locate online unless you know what my unique handle is. Easy peasy :)

If you're setting up a FB page JUST for the purposes of dating or to meet new prospects to date, I wouldn't bother. It's been my experience that social media channels have more of a destructive reputation than anything positive.

Personally, I admire anyone who chooses to remain "off the grid". My partner is like this. He's 32 and makes a very conscious choice NOT to participate in the whole social media frenzy that seems to plague our existence these days.

And I love him all the more for it!

Agreed ^^....

I'm not a fan of FB...I set it up to keep in touch with family and friends. Before FB I had to squeeze in calls when driving or spend hours trying to e-mail people and keep in touch. No, FB won't stop me from having "real" friends and/or picking up a phone and calling someone, but it makes keeping in touch a lot easier. But still, I watch what I say and stuff to family and friends cuz you don't know where that stuff goes or who can access it (even with privacy settings).

• Like 1
  • Author

Good info guys. Still not sure if I want to make one, but its nice to know others don't like the idea of social media as well, lol. Still thinking about. Thanks

• Like 1

It doesn't (or rather, it shouldn't) play a role in your dating life.

I have a very successful relationship and I don't have one. I actually cancelled mine BECAUSE it was starting to cause issues (before this current relationship) with the women I was seeing. It was too much drama.

Made my life a lot easier when I closed my account.

Eh...I mean, FB tends to cause problems for RSs. Even those good ones you rarely hear about anymore. Even emotionally mature adults get weird on & about social media. It can also become a bit of an addiction.

Of course it depends on the person. Truth be told, not everyone should be allowed to be on social media. There can be a lot of drama but if you're not like that and don't have friends or family like that then it'll be fun for you.

Facebook is just awful. It was originally supposed to be a site for college students, but than it caught on somehow with people in general. Now it's just mainly a site that people use for attention. I unfortunately have it, but I rarely go on it anymore.

• Like 1
chimpanA-2-chimpanZ

I'm 28. I've never had a FB page. It's never been an issue.

I know some people talk about drama over pages and relationship status and so on. From what I know, the vast majority of my friends (and my boyfriend) have their relationship status set to "private" so no one can see it anyhow.

• Author

Ok, I think I will stay away from it as long as possible. It is just that my relatives are always telling me to join so I can see their pics and such and sometimes my dates think it is really weird that I don't have one; especially the younger ones, lol. If I do make one, I will just make most things private then.

This has been helpful, thanks guys!