Girl I work with

djcos25

I know the whole "dating in the workplace" is somewhat frowned upon, I just would like some advice here, if maybe anyone here thinks this girl is interested in me, or flirting with me or what.

I work in a call center, my hours have switched, as I work later into the night. Now I'm able to be working with people around my age. I started talking to this girl in between calls who usually would sit near me. We always joke around with some of the calls we get, how some members can be funny sometimes. One day she was telling me about going to a haunted hayride, as she was talking to an Australian kid who has never been, so she wanted to take him (the extent of the "talking" I have no idea). She was looking up stuff in between calls and joked with me later saying "How do I go from haunted hayrides to Apple picking?" She told me how she hates going alone to places, and that she would usually go with some guy. She mentioned his name but right after she looked at me and said "Thats my ex." (Is that a hint?)

Another time when she came in for her shift, she sat near me, said to me "Hello friend." She usually waves to me when she comes in or I'm leaving. She seems happy when I talk to her, more-so comfortable? She sat in front of me one time so I crumbled up a piece of paper and lobbed it over to her desk. She threw it back, so I threw it back, then she threw it back to me again (flirting?). Not wanting to overdo it I stopped there.

I asked her today if she went to the haunted hayride this past weekend, she said no. She's going to 6 Flags this weekend with her friends.

I'm on vacation next week. If she is interested, should I ask maybe if she would want to go to the haunted hayride next week? Like I said earlier, I'm in a call center so its hard to ask in between calls, I'd have to get lucky on a slow night. Plus it would look bad if I waited for her out of work, and I can't exactly catch her before she comes in.

I had a similar experience earlier in the summer. I asked out a girl from work and got her number. She seemed excited that I asked her out. I texted her, no response. Called another time, left a voicemail, no response, but in the hallways she would say hi to me. If she wasn't interested and was just going to go ghost on me why give me the number in the first place? Drop the boyfriend word, I won't know lol.

Just don't want that to happen again and I'm getting sick of OLD. If she had a boyfriend wouldn't she mention it by now in conversation? When she said to me "Thats my ex" that kinda stuck out to me. I'm terrible at reading signs. Any advice? Thanks.

Edited by djcos25
She seemed excited that I asked her out. I texted her, no response.

Read: self esteem boost, stroked ego.

• Author

That doesn't help me for this situation. Any advice anyone? Is this girl flirting with me at all?

When I'm working, sometimes it sucks to have a conversation with someone because you could get a call mid-sentence. One of my friends told me to bring up the hayride again, then later she told me to write on a small piece of paper "Hayride this Sunday, Y/N?" and see what happens. She said its kinda corny but cute.

Edited by djcos25

Honestly, I wouldn't pursue this girl. I think dating coworkers is fine, so long as you don't work together daily in the same office; then it creates the potential for awkwardness/chaos if things don't work out. I've asked out girls at work on a couple of occasions, but only gals who worked in different departments. I just happened to bump into them while walking to or from some building and almost never encountered them before or after. It sounds like you two work together fairly closely. You can ask her out if you want, but understand the complications. As far as whether or not she wants a date with you, I don't see enough evidence in what you described to suggest that she sees you two as anything more than friendly co-workers. See if you can branch out from work in some way. Don't try to limit your options to just girls at work. You don't want to get a reputation at your workplace as "that guy who's asked out every girl in the office."

Edited by oberkeat
  • Like 1
  • Author

Yeah, like I said before I'm terrible at reading signs lol. That's why I thought when she said "Thats my ex" it stuck out to me, plus when we were tossing the paper back and forth. I honestly didn't expect her to toss it back haha.

I understand that once we get out of high school and/or college, the amount of people we socialize with diminishes and we sometimes end up getting attracted to co-workers cuz duh, we're with them like 40 hrs a week...lol.

But yea, there are many complications that can come from dating co-workers....

So, I say try to broaden your social circle. Try to do meet-ups, hobbies, volunteering, or church. Hopefully you can meet more people who may also introduce you to more people.