5th date question

enchanted771

enchanted771

Went on this date with this guy...it has been just about every week for the past month. Anyways...we had a nice dinner and some drinks and then he paid for cab ride home because he couldn't drive there and back (25-30 min each way). This is not the first date so common courtesy would tell me to thank him for dinner the next day...but then some people would disagree.

What is the right thing to do?

ThorntonMelon

Do what you WANT to do.

Games don't work. Waiting 3 days doesn't work. If he digs you, it won't be too soon and if he doesn't, it will never be at the right time.

• Author
enchanted771
Yes text. I would've thanked him when i got home same night.
ok-thanks. I would have probably but it was pretty late.
Went on this date with this guy...it has been just about every week for the past month. Anyways...we had a nice dinner and some drinks and then he paid for cab ride home because he couldn't drive there and back (25-30 min each way). This is not the first date so common courtesy would tell me to thank him for dinner the next day...but then some people would disagree.

What is the right thing to do?

Some people would disagree with common courtesy??

He paid for dinner, he paid your trip back home, he deserves your verbal appreciation. YES you thank him! if you don't it means you take him and his wallet for granted.

• Like 5

You should thank him every time for as long as you continue to see him. If it develops into a relationship, you should express your appreciation to him often. A man needs to feel appreciated. Inspite of what some people say, men are emotional creatures and need validation and need to feel appreciated. By the same token, he should make you feel appreciated as well. When that stops happening, any relationship will start to unwind.

What the hell? Who would tell you not to thank someone after a date? Especially if they treated you?

That's the kind of person that SHOULDN'T get a follow up date.

• Author
enchanted771
What the hell? Who would tell you not to thank someone after a date? Especially if they treated you?

That's the kind of person that SHOULDN'T get a follow up date.

Well, luckily I was raised with manners & morals and I did text him. Actually, as I left last night I told him I would make it up to him (expensive cab ride) and buy or make him dinner. He seemed to like that idea. Most likely it will be make him dinner, because I think that shows more thought.

He is just more talkative in person. When we text he doesn't say a lot, but in person he is a nonstop chatter box.

• Author
enchanted771
You should thank him every time for as long as you continue to see him. If it develops into a relationship, you should express your appreciation to him often. A man needs to feel appreciated. Inspite of what some people say, men are emotional creatures and need validation and need to feel appreciated. By the same token, he should make you feel appreciated as well. When that stops happening, any relationship will start to unwind.
Thank you. I need to stop listening to a certain friend of mine. No wonder she is still single.

My husband and I thank each other for dinner. Even though it comes out of the same account, we take turns paying.

Appreciation goes a long way in any relationship. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Author
enchanted771
My husband and I thank each other for dinner. Even though it comes out of the same account, we take turns paying.

Appreciation goes a long way in any relationship. :cool:

I have no problem whatsoever. I just feel in the past, whenever I went out my way he would take advantage or start behaving badly.

I have no problem whatsoever. I just feel in the past, whenever I went out my way he would take advantage or start behaving badly.

How much past do you have? It's only been 5 dates?

If you think saying the words "thank you" is going out of your way, what's a grand gesture, actually having to hand write a thank you note?

Thank you. I need to stop listening to a certain friend of mine. No wonder she is still single.

Your friend is the "crazy cat lady".

• Like 2
  • Author
enchanted771
How much past do you have? It's only been 5 dates?

If you think saying the words "thank you" is going out of your way, what's a grand gesture, actually having to hand write a thank you note?

No, I did thank him :)

• Author
enchanted771
Your friend is the "crazy cat lady".

Unfortunately so! She's one of those women with all these rules and then wonders why she is single & relationships don't last. Because she doesn't know how to make a guy feel appreciated that's why. Otherwise she thinks if she does too much or does any of the contacting in the beginning she will look desperate.

The right guy won't care if you do.

Bingo. Don't be like that friend.

She'll be that woman at 45 asking where are all the nice men at... you know, the ones she kept dumping because she was playing games.

If saying "Thank you" to someone is the reason why they stop talking to you, then that person was probably not good for you anyway.

PinkInTheLimo

In this context, thanking him has absolutely nothing to do with "going out of your way". It's just showing appreciation for a nice evening and his generous attitude.