Can a date lasting too long be the difference between success and failure?

Can a date lasting too long be the difference between success and failure?

If a date goes over an hour into 2 or 3, can that make a great date turn bad?

First dates consist of sitting across from someone and getting to know them. So is it possible that a date that lasts 2/3 hours can be considered a bad date, simply coz you let it drag out too long. When an hours date would have been great.

What I'm asking is can you lose your date and all chemistry with them, simply because you stayed out too long and both laboured the conversation. If so, we should all be really careful to see that we don't accidently labour a date

The length of the date is no problem at all as long as you two are really enjoying yourself and having fun. You just go with the flow. However, you have to know when to end the date. When the date is well past it's climax or on the decline, it's time to end it because the feeling you had at the end of the date seems to be the most memorable and the part that stays with you the most.

• Like 2

Nah it doesn't make a difference. If he/she likes you then it won't matter. I make mistakes with my gf all the time, and we just simply brush it off.

If the conversation is laboring, you should recognize that and end it in a friendly manner before it ends up getting awkward.

My first date with the girl I have been seeing was three hours and it went great. No breaks in conversation or anything. As long as the conversation is flowing and you're having fun, what does it matter?

• Like 2

I once read a relationship advice book called "you lost him at hello" that dedicates an entire chapter to this! Lol. The author basically says to keep your dates short in the beginning and leaving at the height (best part) of the date, which leaves him wanting more of you.

Makes sense, but also leads to games which we all know don't always work out in the end.

My first date with my ex girlfriend lasted way longer than any of us had planned.

The conversations just flowed naturally and we were having so much fun.

The only reason it stopped was we were sitting on a beach and a guy came up to me and told that I was starting to get really sunburned. I thanked him, we checked the time and it was either 5 or 6 and the date started at 1.

Damn I miss that girl :(

Everyone's going to chip in with examples of dates that lasted for ages and went great. But I guess what OP really wants to know, is have you ever been on a date where things felt great after an hour or so, but more strained after two or three?

I certainly have. As a guy who's not naturally talkative/extrovert, it's rare I can chat for that long with someone new without at least feeling awkward/pressured. I've never dismissed someone for the conversation fading a bit though... And of course if anyone I've dated felt things were great early on but then got bored later, they'd never mention it.

So really, I've no idea if it's ever definitely prevented me getting another date. Happy to have been of so much help :)