Online dating: Has anyone ever continued to go out with someone

Popsicle

Who did not look as good in person as they did in their pictures before you met?

I hear it happens frequently that people in online dating or social networking put up pictures where they look better in the pictures than they really do in person. This thread is not meant to discuss that or the fact that they lied, or whether it's right or wrong. I am wondering if after having discovered that a person does not look as good in person, it is assumed that the person will never go out with them again after seeing how they really look, or is that always the case?

I just started thinking about this because I met up with some ladies from a social networking group I'm in and they all looked better in their pictures (and I probably did in mine too, to be frank). Naturally, people choose their best pictures to post up, but camera angles, lucky shots, good hair days and such can make you look a bit better than you normally do. We see this with models/celebs in magazines all the time. It made me realize that it may not be such a great idea to put up your best pictures with online dating, since it can make you experience rejection that is so common in online dating. I'm thinking maybe you should put up average or your worst pictures. Or, do people still go out with those who look worse in real life than they do in their online dating profile pictures?

Edited by Popsicle

Probably every single OLD I had "lied" about what they TRULY looked like. They would be 50 lbs overweight or have a huge gut or receding hairline. They would NOT be athletic as their profile stated. I just wanted to meet a good guy and not be superficial so I would continue to date them if we clicked personality wise.

I have to add that the deceit of lying about their looks later played out in them being deceitful in other ways. So really I believe it's a huge red flag if someone lies about looks.

• Author

I have to add that the deceit of lying about their looks later played out in them being deceitful in other ways.

This leads me to believe that you did continue to date them, at least for a while, after discovering that they didn't look as good in real life.

And, to be clear, I didn't mean huge lies about looks (like the examples you gave), I mean having the same build and same features, but just putting up your best looking pictures, even though you may not look quite as good in person.

There is nothing shallow about wanting to date someone attractive, that is attractive TO YOU. It doesn't make any sense why you would find an interest in someone that you don't find physically attractive. Everyone has their own idea of what they find attractive, so there is someone for everyone.....even for the fat chick and ugly guy.

• Author

Remember I asked if you would continue to date someone who didn't look as good as their pictures. That was my question.

• Like 1

No it depends on first impressions. If I still find them attractive then ya, but if they are not the obvious thing would be disappointment. I don't waste my time hoping to warm up to someone I don't find attractive...it is being unrealistic.

• Author
I can't remember the last time I saw a girl who looked as good as her pics. Most of the women I know take a ridiculous amount of pics, then use filters on them to make them look better. Real life doesn't work that way.

Very true. So would you continue dating a girl like this once you saw her in person?

Lol....

Usually people say I look even better in person than my OLD pics...lol

Yes, I've been there and done that. I mean, I've had people literally put pictures of them when they were a decade younger...yes, they did.

I think what makes me more angry is the deception of intentionally putting up an old pic.

But yes, some pics are taken in certain lighting, etc. - which makes the person look better in person. That's why I usually push to meet them in person ASAP, cuz I want to verify who I'm speaking to, and I also want to see if there's chemistry...cuz, also, it's too easy to be "good on paper" online - only to be met with someone in person that you simply don't click with.

You know I was thinking about that the other day with OLD and meeting people in real life. I was asking myself the other day that if I saw just the picture of some people I've dated offline - online, would I have given them the time of day? And IMO, sometimes I believe meeting person offline is better cuz, sometimes attraction can develop better than just looking at a picture and a profile.