let me know your feelings on this subject regarding my boyfriends religion and

AccoutingAsh87

AccoutingAsh87

My b/f and I have been dating for 3 years now and he's 7th day adventist, which is that he goes to church on saturday, and i believe in the same thing, but i go to church on sunday; i'm not a 7th day adventist. I've been going to his church (off and on) for about 3 years now, and i like going there. I don't mind going to church on saturday at all. The subject has come up regarding if i'm going to convert to become a 7th day adventist because we can't take it to the next step (marriage) if I don't become one. He hasn't pressured me at all into converting, but i knew the subject would come up sooner or later down the road. So, recently the subject came up. I told him that I don't mind becoming his religion at all, but i'm just scared to because that is a big step. So, today I asked him if he would consider converting to going to church on Sunday, and he told me no because that's not just what he believes in. I wasn't that much involved with going to church when he met me, but its just the principal behind it, i guess. So he basically won't convert for me, but i'm willing to convert for him. Thoughts?? I love him dearly and he loves me the same, but i just don't know now regarding this subject.

A religion isn't just a fad. If you truly believe in a particular religion, it's about your life and your fate. You don't just "convert " because you love someone. I mean, certain cases I guess but it would be very hard. He doesn't believe the doctrine your church preaches so by converting, he would be abandoning his faith.

I'm a Christian who would never convert to say, Mormonism, because I don't believe in it. By making the decision to convert just because of a boydriend, you obviously aren't very set in your beliefs. That's fine but it's ridiculous to hold it against someone else who is.

LivingWaterPlease

Since you are a Christian I would suggest that you pray about it. Ask your bf to give you some time to pray and ask him to pray about it, too. God knows what He wants for you and for your bf, too!

• Like 1
Since you are a Christian I would suggest that you pray about it. Ask your bf to give you some time to pray and ask him to pray about it, too. God knows what He wants for you and for your bf, too!

Besides, there's no conversion necessary if you're a Christian

Some denominations may require it, but that's rare. Seventh Day Adventists are a sect of orthodox Christians like Baptists or Methodists.

Maybe you feel like he doesnt love you as much because he wont put his belief aside for you.

Lets pretend he was a vegetarian, and you were okay with becoming a vegetarian, in order to live a happy life with similar values. Would you see yourself asking him to start eating red meat? If you did, and he said no, would you feel like he loved you any less?

Think about it..

You need to have a very serious talk now. As someone that was dumped over religion (I wasn't Christian enough) the mere mention of scenarios like this makes me cringe. If he hasn't already done so, he needs to explain exactly where he is in his faith and you need to understand what it means. If you aren't on the same page (i.e., if you have not found it in your heart to convert as you believe the views of the 7th Day Adventist) and he is hard core he will not take you as his wife. Three years invested in a relationship means nothing to someone who puts God and faith first and believes that staying in that relationship isn't honoring God. Again if that statement doesn't jive with you but that is where your boyfriend's beliefs are, you will not work as a couple.

Before you make the decision to convert, just make sure you check the belief system thoroughly. They're reasonably adamant about adhering to the beliefs, and as far as typical Sunday Christian churches go, many consider some of those beliefs apostasy.

Without any discussion as to who is right and who is wrong, all I'm saying is that as you begin to examine this belief system, you may find that you don't buy in to all of it, and that could pose problems for somebody who has been raised like that. SDA's seem to be pretty good people, friendly, generous and all that. But the devil is in the details, as they say.

I think it would be a prudent step to take no matter which religion you're considering.

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." Acts 17:11

Why not examine the scriptures to see if what the SDA church teaches is true?

Edited by LivingWaterPlease