Date nerves?

thelastunicorn

thelastunicorn

I recently met a very sweet and genuine guy and it's pretty clear that he has very little to no dating experience at the age of 31. While I think that's kind of strange for a man his age it doesn't concern me too much because he does have a very mature understanding of how relationships work and knows what he's looking for. He's good about asking me out and he's always a gentleman but he's very bad at communicating in person. On the phone he's completely fine but when we're on a date he's so nervous around me that he can barely speak. Is there anything I can do or say to help him open up a bit?

I'm actually going out with him today so advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Like Fairy

It is just going to take time and repeated exposure to see if he can ever get a handle on his nerves or not.

It's up to you how much time you want to give him..........

Maybe doing something, an activity such as miniature golf or something else along those lines, would give him a bit of a distraction in order for him to feel the focus is not completely on him.

But if he continues to be nervous after several dates, he is probably not the guy for you.

He needs to find a nervous girl and they can be happily ever after nervous together. :laugh:

Kingston100

OMG are you dating my boyfriend? :eek:

Just kidding.

My guy was like that in the beginning, and even now he will get quiet every once and a while. It really threw me at first, because I am sooo talkative.

I found that awkward silences can be broken by asking him leading questions (nothing with a "yes" or "no" answer).

I also found that he became less nervous after I kissed him, so I usually would kiss him after we got out of the car and were about to walk into the restaurant or wherever. I just think he needed a little reassurance that I was there on my own free will.

• Like 1

Be gentle with him. Take the conversational lead. Ask questions and nudge him a bit but make him feel safe.

Maybe suggest some dates that are more activity in nature with you walking around. My last two dates with a girl were at a sporting event as well as a Dave and Buster's playing games. It's really relaxing and easy going.