What is the farthest you would travel/have traveled to meet some one you met online?

Lobouspo

I normally don't get too excited about women I meet online, and won't travel outside the city I live to meet them, but I met someone on OKC who I really seem to have alot in common with (educated, professionally employed, same religious background and beliefs etc.) She lives about 75-80 miles from me though. Is that too far in your opinion? Would it be worth it to meet her for dinner in her town?

You should read the threads in the Long Distance forum if you think 75 miles is far!

Noticed your signature. Have you seen the DVD Why We Fight? Not the WWII series but the one from 2005. Sounds like it would be up your alley.

• Like 1
january2011

At that distance, it's possible to spend weekends together quite comfortably.

My SO and I are about 5K miles apart and the journey to see each other requires almost an entire day of flying. We've been together two years now.

• Like 2
Ninjainpajamas

You know....in your 20's I think it's feasible to have a LDR if you're into traveling and aren't that committed or obligated (aka settled down).

However if you're pretty busy and got enough going on at home, you'd be surprised how strenuous some distance can have on a relationship. What do you consider "far"? or even long-distance, for me it's much farther than 75-80 miles, but that's because I've had that experience and it was much farther than that. For me that doesn't even really fall into the LDR category necessarily, anything beyond an hour is a bit much IMO but that's not terribly far...I like to ride/drive, so for me it's not a big problem.

Furthermore, if you're looking for something "serious" then that kind of forces one or the other to possibly uproot their lives...for someone you don't know as well as you think you do. That means changing jobs, living situation, moving away from family.

The tricky part LDR's is they give you a false sense of stability in a relationship because you're not actually living together or close enough to be apart of each others daily lives. And that's a huge compatibility factor...I personally think anyone can just about have a stable relationship that only lasts on the weekends because it's easy to make time for yourself...especially for those who are quite independent, those individuals might not realize the attention and strain and new found "qualities" in their partner when it comes to living together when that move finally comes or even just breaking away from the regiment.

But at any rate, depending on where you are at in your life and what you're looking for...I would say it's a "bad idea" in general, if you're just looking for a weekend GF then I'd say go for it, actually works out quite well for some.

Just realize you're going to cross that bridge eventually....sometimes very early on to someone considering uprooting their lives because they are "perfect together" on the weekends and then that could very well end up in disaster.

LDR are manageable, you just have to ask yourself how much time and attention you actually need in a relationship, it may prove much more difficult for some than others.

Keep in mind those who have done LDR, typically don't want to go back :p it presents some unique challenges and stresses communication constantly, to maintain it.

I would be prepared to travel thousands of miles (serious LDR) if we knew each other very well and have been communicating for a long time (minimum 1 year) prior to my visit.

Edited by Zulnex
She lives about 75-80 miles from me though.

I met a guy online that was 90 miles away as the crow flies (up to two hours drive with traffic). We had a few good exchanges when I tried to dismiss him because of the distance.

He convinced me that considering everything we had in common, it wasn't that far (and he had dated women in other states that involved flying, so this was minor in comparison).

I relented and just over a year later, we got engaged and I moved to live with him. :)

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine
I normally don't get too excited about women I meet online, and won't travel outside the city I live to meet them, but I met someone on OKC who I really seem to have alot in common with (educated, professionally employed, same religious background and beliefs etc.) She lives about 75-80 miles from me though. Is that too far in your opinion? Would it be worth it to meet her for dinner in her town?

I don't even consider that long distance at all...

Female, subset romantic - just over 6000 miles

Male, subset platonic - just over 6500 miles

The lady I married lived about 60 miles away when I met her online back in the late 90's.

I don't even consider that long distance at all...

I guess being from Pluto, 75/80 miles is just next door.

If I met a girl I really feel for, I don't care where she lives, I will find a way. Don't point out technicalities of long distance relationships. It will not be long distance, I will figure something out to make us happy. I have been too long as a worker ant in the world. If I feel for her, there is me and her and then there is everything else. If the world ends tomorrow, I don't want to have just been here, working a job, making a living.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
I guess being from Pluto, 75/80 miles is just next door.

If I met a girl I really feel for, I don't care where she lives, I will find a way. Don't point out technicalities of long distance relationships. It will not be long distance, I will figure something out to make us happy. I have been too long as a worker ant in the world. If I feel for her, there is me and her and then there is everything else. If the world ends tomorrow, I don't want to have just been here, working a job, making a living.

I 100% agree. I have had bad LDR experiences in the past but still, I value the connection over everything else. Those practical details just don't concern me. So many people are way too rational for my liking.

• Like 1

400 miles. Met this girl online over a forum about our field. One day i had to attend a conference in the city she worked in, so We decided to meet and have lunch. We had a lot of fun and it lasted for a year with her or me taking trips to each others city every now and then to meet.