GOD, CHURCH, RELIGION- Does it Matter In Dating, Mate Choosing & Sustaining Relation

richwhitegirlsingle

richwhitegirlsingle

ok, god, religion, and church. many people say you have to have come relationship, but this has been proven wrong with the LGBT and many mates doing well without such.

I going to be brief and wonder, does god, religion, and church matter in dating or would you go with one that was educated, high income, sexy and attractive, great personality and nice, and everything else but not into this

Morality over-rules religion in my book.

Personally, I would take the two evenly, I'm not very judgmental when it comes to most things. If the two were identical in every respect except for personal beliefs, it would make no difference.

If the former was lacking all of the qualities the latter had, on paper, the latter would likely be a smarter choice. However, if the former displayed those same qualities, it would be an even match, and would come down to strictly matters of the heart.

Overall, I don't personally take much into account with love, if I love someone, that's that, as long as they're not utterly mad, it really doesn't matter what they believe in, or how much money they do or don't have.

• Author
richwhitegirlsingle

well, going to church, bible or holy book study, prayer,and all that are part of some folks households. I mentioned LGBT because the church does not accept their practices and while they are religious, its called sin. A relationship without god, religion, and church must still have some moral and ethics base and this hasd not been indentified. where do such morals come from. we just live each day presuming we know whats right and wrong. but if you live by religion, the codes are too strict and take away all the fun and free time. Its oppressive, BUT CAN YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP without god

Of course the LGBT community also have religious folks. They "interpret" scriptures like the non-LGBT community- according to their view of the world.

I consider myself, Non-Religious, but Spiritual, but have dated ladies who claim to be christian. Is religion important, yes for those who need it to be.

• Author
richwhitegirlsingle
Of course the LGBT community also have religious folks. They "interpret" scriptures like the non-LGBT community- according to their view of the world.

I consider myself, Non-Religious, but Spiritual, but have dated ladies who claim to be christian. Is religion important, yes for those who need it to be.

well 2 women and men can be together in a relationship But if sex is a big part of the formula, THE SINS AGAINST THE BIBLE or any religion is huge. no religion accepts sexual penetration between same sex and most LGBT won't sustain without it. thus, they can be religious, but I am not sure what way. Thus, these groups are complaining of their relationship rights be taken away by those who feel religion comes first in dating and should be out abive their dating interests

well 2 women and men can be together in a relationship But if sex is a big part of the formula, THE SINS AGAINST THE BIBLE or any religion is huge. no religion accepts sexual penetration between same sex and most LGBT won't sustain without it. thus, they can be religious, but I am not sure what way. Thus, these groups are complaining of their relationship rights be taken away by those who feel religion comes first in dating and should be out abive their dating interests

You don't see the SINS AGAINST THE BIBLE among religious people? It happens every day. There's just not an interest group that openly publicizes that particular lifestyle.

Many, many forms that the sins come in....many.

• Author
richwhitegirlsingle

well, the question was, what relevance does religion have in dating. is it more about qualifications and character of the mate or absence of such and their religious values. would date someone not saved or even atheist

GorillaTheater
well, the question was, what relevance does religion have in dating. is it more about qualifications and character of the mate or absence of such and their religious values. would date someone not saved or even atheist

I would think that, generally, like attracts like. That generally the non-religious are for the most part attracted to non-religious, and the same for religious folks.

Not universal, of course. My wife is religious, and I'm kind of lukewarm on the whole thing. But that can be a stressor in a relationship.

But honestly, I'm not sure I've answered your question, or even what your question is, specifically.

• Like 1

Plenty of religious organizations have found a way to justify same sex relations no matter how most people interpret the holy books. There was the prime example of a Protestant reverend who left his wife to live with his male lover and was then made a Bishop by his organization.

Yes faith does matter your activity or lack there of may qualify or disqualify you in the eyes of another. It depends on your location whether faith in general or a specific group will hurt or help.

I agree with gorilla. Not too certain what the question is, but here I go.

Everyone wants to find someone who meets their values system. People who use religion as a way to predict and gauge said values, do so. I live in Texas and most claim to be religious and christian. Do they divorce any less? No. Do people around here cheat any less? No. People use prerequisites based on what comforts them.

Some people are "convinced" that you can't be moral, ethical if you're not religious. So, they select only religious people. Some to the point of precluding even other religious, christian denominations that don't ultimately fit their own political leanings.

The non-religious tend to look at the religious with as much suspicion. Only seeing hypocrisy and intolerance. So the non-religious tend to avoid the religious.

• Like 1
  • Author
richwhitegirlsingle

is religion necessary. do you fear any bad luck dating someone who is atheist or not saved or even LGBT

is religion necessary. do you fear any bad luck dating someone who is atheist or not saved or even LGBT

No, I do not.

• Like 1

Well, if you're asking me personally, i'd say NO to both. There are studies that seem to show that truly committed religious couples stay in marriages more than the general population. But that has everything to do with the stigma placed on divorce and doesn't necessarily mean that they are happier.

In the end, for me, it's about commitment and dedication, plain and simple. Some people need a religious context to achieve this and others don't..

would you change your religious values if it would help your date or is confident where you are

If I am willing to tolerate (and to some extent, understand) other's belief systems, I expect the same in return.

If they do not wish to do so, we're likely not going to get very far in the first place.

would you change your religious values if it would help your date or is confident where you are

I seriously doubt that I could even if I wanted to. I have strong feelings about my lack of faith, so wouldn't seek out someone who was "religious" in the first place. RELIGION is among the top 5 considerations that people entertain in regards to relationships. It can eventually be an extremely contentious point if both are not on the same or very similar page.

I always let my dates know very early about my religious preferences and practices so that there is no misunderstanding as things move forward.

I've come a long way in my religious journey. Began as an atheist, then agnostic, then conservatively religious to now, very suspicious/skeptical of the religious community and the institution.

I simply try to keep it simpler by dating ladies who beliefs are in line with my own.

Im an atheist and prefer one. However I would be open to a religious person so long as they arent judgmental of my beliefs, nor are judgmental of the lifestyles and religions of others.

And this includes abortion and gay rights. Im very liberal about those issues...so a religious person with conservative views regarding those things would not work.

• Like 2

I will just say it like it is.

I don't give two craps about religion.

I may be labeled as a Christian because I was born in a Christian-based family but I avoid church since it is just a very boring activity and I don't need a "pastor" to tell me what I need to know religion-wise esp. since the church system is just another avenue to get rich these days. I may one day just read the Bible just because I'm curious but, other than that, I have way too many questions and no actual answers for me to give myself up to any religion. Unless someone shows me cold, hard proof for why they side by their religion, I'm not going to believe them at all.

Outside of that, I don't care at all what each religion means and anyone, male or female, who tries to push their religion on me, including Christianity, is automatically deemed as an personal enemy.

If you believe in religion, great, and I have no issues dating a woman of any religion. Just don't tell me about it. I don't care.....at all.

• Like 2
footballfan10

Doesn't mean anything at all in terms of mate selection. A "Christian" girl would pick a good looking, tall/muscular, confident and exciting Athiest man over a short, insecure/needy, boring, "average joe" Christian man every single time...And the same goes for men in picking women. The "Christian" man will pick the hotter women everytime regardless of her faith compared to the less attractive Christian one.

I'm an atheist myself and as far as morality is concerned I just try to not do anything to others that I wouldn't want done to me....So I consider myself a decent moralistic person.

Obviously there are some people that have no morality and don't have a problem harming/stealing/killing etc etc etc...Unfortunately these people (both men and women) exist.

You could change or try to change any number of things about yourself in order to find date. It would be easier to just find someone with the same beliefs and values as yourself.

Especially if you are seeking long term, most people want someone in the same zip code at least, so to speak, when it comes to background and heritage. That helps a lot when it comes to decisions about lifestyle, raising a family, blending families, etc.

• Like 2

I am not a spiritual person. Although I do have a very different out look on the definition. Honestly, I think everyone fears divorce. Not just people who believe it is wrong because God said so. And if we're talking about Christianity alone(since everyone seems to be directly/indirectly referring to it), divorce and remarriage isn't necessarily a sin according to Jesus(under one circumstance).

When it comes to dating you want someone who believes in the same things you do. And you have to understand that people have strong faiths in God, Allah, and other deities from religions we haven't mention in this topic. You might find "religious" people who aren't well grounded in their faith. But there are people who live very spiritual lives and believe their Truth is the one and final truth. It's not just something they do on Sunday but it's apart of their everyday life. And for them, maybe it makes things better. So why wouldn't they want someone who believes in something similar?

You might think that giving 10% of your paycheck to a church is a scam. While the woman or man you're dating honestly believes that an omnipotent being is going to bless them for doing so.

My parents are Christians, my best friend's parents are Buddhist. They incorporate their beliefs in everything they do. They created a very strong faith-base system in their relationships which they honestly believe improves their marriages.

I think questions like this just don't apply to religion either.

Edited by NeoGen85
  • Like 1
You could change or try to change any number of things about yourself in order to find date. It would be easier to just find someone with the same beliefs and values as yourself.

Especially if you are seeking long term, most people want someone in the same zip code at least, so to speak, when it comes to background and heritage. That helps a lot when it comes to decisions about lifestyle, raising a family, blending families, etc.

Exactly. And sometimes people change their mind because love can truly open people's hearts. Still, it's good to have those core values in common.

• Author
richwhitegirlsingle

well, relationship morals, values, and ethics must come from somewhere. many thinks its religion and god, while others think its evolution. i do not think relationships evolve and mates change. they are pretty much static and unchanging. Many think money, gifts, improving weight and looking sexier, going out to eat and dinner, and other incentives will make it all work out. But this is not necessarily the case.

many oppose god and religion because it puts too many restrictions on dating

Drseussgrrl
well, relationship morals, values, and ethics must come from somewhere. many thinks its religion and god, while others think its evolution. i do not think relationships evolve and mates change. they are pretty much static and unchanging. Many think money, gifts, improving weight and looking sexier, going out to eat and dinner, and other incentives will make it all work out. But this is not necessarily the case.

many oppose god and religion because it puts too many restrictions on dating

I oppose religion because it makes no logical or intellectual sense and has historically been a means of controlling people.

With that said I couldn't date a religious person.

• Like 1
footballfan10
I oppose religion because it makes no logical or intellectual sense and has historically been a means of controlling people.

With that said I couldn't date a religious person.

Agreed except I wouldn't care if it "historically had been a means of controlling people" if I thought it was actually true... Like if on page 20 of the bible Jesus started talking about electricity and micro-organisms or something that was literally impossible to know about during that time period unless he really was God/had divine interaction.

I'm a nihilist myself and only reject all religions/faiths/spirtualities because I think they don't make any sense logically...If I thought they did than I would accept them...even if I disagreed with some of the contents (like being against gay marriage when I support it etc)

As for the "where do you get morality" comment...Well first off not everyone has morality or a moral compass. Thankfully (for the sake of our species) most people do (and yes I do believe it comes innately) but there are people who has no morality whatsoever....

• Like 2