Defeating the stereotypes (even when they're right)

Malia25

This past year, I've really emerged from my bubble and started dating more - and I've come to realize that a) it's draining and b) guys are jerks! Ok, jk on the latter. ;) I thought dating was supposed to be fun? I went into this phase saying that I would base all opinions on my OWN experiences and not let my friends/family affect my decisions/feelings. But truth be told, they've been right EVERY time so far...and this is based on the standard racial/career stereotypes.

With one guy, my friends warned me about the men of his nationality and cocky/self-assured they are. I laughed it off and told them he was different. Fast forward 2 months later and I come to find they were right. Now I can't bring myself to date men of this nationality again...

Then there was the military man. "They are players who just want sex!"

And then Mexican men. "Don't bother. They like 'em younger & submissive!"

And now, at the present day...the Computer Programmer w/ the well paying full-time job, who is also pursuing a Masters Degree. Oh, I heard it all from my coworker today (who works in IT and has dated many CP's in the past). And the funny thing is, before I told her anything about him, she started naming off traits of "these" guys: cocky, egotistical, sarcastic, very intelligent and will always let you know it, will never let you have the last word, etc. The sad thing is I totally see those traits in that guy, but I have this terrible thing where I like to actually get to know the guy and see for myself.

She also said that because he's a well educated Mexican man, he knows how desirable he is - regardless of his looks. He has money and he knows how to use that to his advantage. I haven't even met the guy yet!! I'm really attracted to his wit, intelligence, ambition (and ability to write really well) - but her stereotype is nagging at me. No one has ever been wrong so far in their assesment of my dates. =/ I just really want to prove them all wrong one day. Has anyone else experienced a case of the stereotype blues?

**And before I get flack, I KNOW, these are JUST stereotypes and absolutely do NOT apply to ALL men. I can't emphasize that enough. Ha! I know, mmmkay?! ;) And despite what I said, I would date all these "types" of guys again - regardless of my past experience. One guy can't ruin it for 'em all...

I know stereotyping is wrong, but they exist for a reason. Its the people that break the mould that gets my attention.

• Like 1