Why do people alienate themselves at social events?

I had just met a new woman at a picnic event celebrating the 4th of July weekend.

She came with a friend, I actually had a older male guy with me talking to the older woman, and me talking to the woman closer to my age

Apparently they had come together, she said she hardly leaves the house without her.

Later that day, we started talking more, but her older friend was sometimes answering for HER friend. She's says something like, "Yeah, every time we go out, she has to drag me with her (she meaning the younger friend drags her older friend with her)

And her friend also said, "Also her boyfriend has Multiple Schlerosis, so he cannot do outdoor activities and doesn't have much energy as she does."

Not sure if her friend is trying to say, "She has a boyfriend, back off, dude"...but I think that's the jist of it.

Anyhow, later in the day, they were both alienating each other from the rest of our group, just talking to each other.

Even some of the other members of the group were telling them, though in a playful manner, "What are you guys doing way over there for? We don't bite!"

It's not uncommon, but there's ALWAYS 2 women (not sure if if it's JUST a woman thing) they come to a group outing, people try to be friendly with them, and they just won't have anything to do with mingling.

They just stick together like they're joined at the hip.

WHy do people do this?

I was wondering if it was because she had too many single men trying to talk to her, and they were starting to discover that...since she HAS a boyfriend that a group full of mostly unattached men might be a bad idea to begin with? LOL

I used to feel out of place at singles' meetups and I'd always leave way too early, but then I figured out it's because everyone else just wanted to drink, not to meet someone.

Hasn't been a problem since I started going to singles' meetups where alcohol isn't part of the picture.

• Author
I used to feel out of place at singles' meetups and I'd always leave way too early, but then I figured out it's because everyone else just wanted to drink, not to meet someone.

Hasn't been a problem since I started going to singles' meetups where alcohol isn't part of the picture.

Well, it wasn't really a "Singles" meetup, but more of a 4th of July Pool Party/Picnic/Vollyball day

Most people in said group are single....but that's just a coincidence. :-)