Thoughts on 22 yr old dating a 17 yr old

SectorStar

Grrr I'm sorry I had wrote a rather lengthy post but for some reason it won't show all of it. Anyways is it so wrong to date someone in my category as long as no sex is involved? I made it clear to her That I'm not having sex with her till shes 18 and so far shes agreed to it.

Edited by SectorStar
HeartOfAPhoenix

I'm 20 and I wouldn't date a 17 year old. if they are under 18 and you are over 18 I just see that as someone who desperately wants a relationship but can't get with someone of their own age. In my opinion I'd rather be single than date someone who is either fresh out of high school or still in high school.

fortyninethousand322
I'm 20 and I wouldn't date a 17 year old. if they are under 18 and you are over 18 I just see that as someone who desperately wants a relationship but can't get with someone of their own age. In my opinion I'd rather be single than date someone who is either fresh out of high school or still in high school.

Pretty much. When I was 21 there was a 17 year old girl I worked with who had a thing for me. I would have dated her except for the age thing. And the only reason I even entertained the thought at all was because other women (especially ones my own age) wanted nothing to do with me. Oh well...

• Author

I've tried to date people my own age honestly, but the problem is, once you hit my age in your 20's, it is VERY difficult to find people that aren't pregnant or already have someone else's kid(S). I know theres people that have done it and lived a decent life, but I rather not inherit all the drama that may come with it like baby daddy issues and such. Where I work at Costco, the median age range is 18-30, and I swear all but maybe 3 girls there are pregnant or have a kid, heck theres one girl who just turned 21 and has TWO kids!. I'm not sure if I just live in a bad city or that "normal" for people my age. I made it quite clear to her that if we're gonna date I'm not having sex with her till shes 18 and if she likes me as much as she thinks shes does she'll wait, so far shes agreed to it. The age of consent where I live in Oregon is 18, but I don't see what the harm of dating is, especially beings it can be defined as many different things. If your just doing things like eating somewhere or talking under the stars while sitting under a tree and leaning against each other till 1 in the morning like we've done before, I don't see whats so wrong with that.

Edited by SectorStar

If the only people available to you are folks you'd never consider dating, maybe you ought to consider figuring how you can move up in the world. I've taken that advice myself.

Pretty much. When I was 21 there was a 17 year old girl I worked with who had a thing for me. I would have dated her except for the age thing. And the only reason I even entertained the thought at all was because other women (especially ones my own age) wanted nothing to do with me. Oh well...

Come on a 4 year difference? She was a year away from 18. Not like you was 21 and she was 15

fortyninethousand322
Come on a 4 year difference? She was a year away from 18. Not like you was 21 and she was 15

What was i going to do? Legal age of consent here is 18, plus she had just turned 17 and it was early in her junior year of high school. So she basically had two years of high school left and was under 18. Considering that I was almost done with college, it wasn't exactly the ideal situation.

HeartOfAPhoenix

4 year difference yes, but also consider that there is a huge difference of a 17 yr old dating a 13 yr old... and very little difference of a 37 yr old dating a 33 yr old.

it's more about maturity rather than age.

azsinglegal

17 can get you 18-20. LOL

22 yrs old wanting to date a 17 yr old sounds like you don't want to grow up and date someone your own age. She's a teenager, your a legal (drinking age) adult. This is one of those cases where I think age does matter.

fortyninethousand322
17 can get you 18-20. LOL

22 yrs old wanting to date a 17 yr old sounds like you don't want to grow up and date someone your own age. She's a teenager, your a legal (drinking age) adult. This is one of those cases where I think age does matter.

Well he did so that a lot of the girls his own age he's meeting have kids already. I mean it could be that he's not meeting the right women but I can sympathize with him a little bit. Although I wouldn't date a 17 year old.

azsinglegal
Well he did so that a lot of the girls his own age he's meeting have kids already. I mean it could be that he's not meeting the right women but I can sympathize with him a little bit. Although I wouldn't date a 17 year old.

If he thinks a lot of girls his age at 22 have kids, wait until he's older. I'm 38 and cant' find a SINGLE person without kids to save my life. I don't have any, don't want any, don't want to be a step parent...which pretty much puts me single forever.

I would think at 22 having kids is the minority, not the majority.

Grrr I'm sorry I had wrote a rather lengthy post but for some reason it won't show all of it. Anyways is it so wrong to date someone in my category as long as no sex is involved? I made it clear to her That I'm not having sex with her till shes 18 and so far shes agreed to it.

I think if her parents allow it, then I don't think it's bad.

I dated a 17 year old when I was 22. Her parents loved me, but I ended up breaking it up after 9 months.

She apparently was raped by a friend years before she met me, and was still suffering some major trauma. I tried to get her to go into therapy, but she refused, and her emotional problems ended up driving a wedge in between us.

I stated all that so no one thinks I'm some heartless monster. We never had sex either.

xoxoDaniellexoxo

I've had friends go through this and when I was that age I would have thought about it, but it's hard when two people are in totally different places in their lives, one is in the last year of high school, one has finished college or going into grad school. If it was a 19 year old and a 23 year old I think that's a little bit more realistic, but it's hard to say since I don't know you two. And I don't mean that in a bad way, but you can never judge til you are in someone else's shoes.

It depends on where you are in your life and what you want.

I know a 26 year old guy who is dating a 19 year old, from his own words "a lot of things are easier with younger girls" but he nevertheless cries that sometimes she is really immature.

I think if her parents allow it, then I don't think it's bad.

Agree, OP nothing wrong with it. People the world over are capable of having a nice dating relationship without sex being involved. It's only in the U.S. where people assume a pervert is behind every tree. Best to get her parents' permission though.

Edited by dasein
xoxoDaniellexoxo
Agree, OP nothing wrong with it. People the world over are capable of having a nice dating relationship without sex being involved. It's only in the U.S. where people assume a pervert is behind every tree. Best to get her parents' permission though.

I agree, I'd be a lot more concerned if it was a 16 year old dating a 30 year old! In the long run the age difference is smaller than some married couples! But I agree on the parent permission :)