Do you do "good morning" and "good night" texts?

Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine

This is for people who are dating someone.

Me and my bf do this, but it only really started in the second month of dating :love:

whichwayisup
This is for people who are dating someone.

Me and my bf do this, but it only really started in the second month of dating :love:

Morning texts okay...But do phone calls on occasion for goodnights.

I tell ya, when I was dating my H (well, bf/gf back then) we had some pretty steamy phone convo's and late night chats! ;)

Eddie Edirol

I hate texting, so no. Funny part is, my gf send me an occasional text that she is going to bed, which means she cant sleep, which means Im bieng called on for a lullaby. Sweet, innit? its nice to be needed.

No. I'd get exhausted with that many texts. I'll send a text occasionally when he's at work (something upbeat/cheerful/letting him know what's for dinner/letting him know what's for dessert ((^_~)), but I don't do it all of the time. Otherwise, it's just drudgery and routine. I might as well just copy and paste the same message.

Add that onto the fact that we live together, so goodnight is simply rolling over, kissing, and saying, "See you in the morning!" So I guess we've replaced the text with the real thing.

And the wake-up text is replaced with sex before work.

eerie_reverie

The problem with getting into a pattern like this is that the moment there is a break, you wonder if something is wrong.

The problem with getting into a pattern like this is that the moment there is a break, you wonder if something is wrong.

true. i got into that whole thing in a previous LDR; never doing that again !

if i felt the urge to wish her good night and good morning on a consistent basis, i think i'd suggest we move in together.

My boyfriend and I do. He works 11PM to 7AM, so it's sorta the opposite. I'll text him "Have a good night at work!" and he'll say "Have a good sleep!" and in the morning when I'm waking up and going to school/work/wherever, he'll say "Have a good day" and I'll say.... yeah you get the picture.

My BF hates texting (and I'm not crazy about it either) so no morning/evening texts. We have a lot of fun over email though. It sounds geeky, and yes, it is. :love:

Not in a relationship just yet again (the new guy is really communicative via text/phone, and I find I like it though, because he still respects my feelings about not constantly texting but manages to communicate well in ways I haven't always experienced), but I never have in a relationship, and I cannot imagine I ever will. I could see maybe talking to someone every day (never really done that either, though it's always been close/regular) but not on such a regimented schedule. Now, if I were married, and away/husband was away, I'd always call to say goodnight, if possible---my parents do that when one is away, and I think it's a cute habit, because they always say "Goodnight" before they go to sleep living together (like actually say it and kiss goodnight) as a ritual and make a big deal of it, kind of.

Which doesn't mean it's a bad idea if someone else does it. I just don't like being that tied to my phone, personally. I see my phone as a necessary evil, a tool I require, but constant communication isn't my goal.

Yep, and it puts enormous pressure on both parties to maintain it, even when it might be really inconvenient.

My husband and I always did this both before and after the marriage. Usually with phone calls or IM - not texting. 18 years of marriage and never stopped. And he would always hit me up during the day with a quick "drive by loving" or some other message to make me smile. I never got tired of it.

Eddie - when we were just dating, I sometimes had trouble sleeping. My husband/boyfriend used to call me and tell me a good-night story when I went to bed. He would make up the most wonderful stories about us and the future. Those are the best memories.

when we were just dating, I sometimes had trouble sleeping. My husband/boyfriend used to call me and tell me a good-night story when I went to bed. He would make up the most wonderful stories about us and the future. Those are the best memories.

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard! :love:

welikeincrowds

This strikes me as the sort of thing that would be discussed on Seinfeld if it were still on air. In fact I can imagine the whole plot.

Seriously. Can I borrow your husband? I'd have to find and pay a writer for that kind of sentimental amazingness.

when we were just dating, I sometimes had trouble sleeping. My husband/boyfriend used to call me and tell me a good-night story when I went to bed. He would make up the most wonderful stories about us and the future. Those are the best memories.

That's a cute story. I like little rituals like that (not so much phone-related, personally, as I kind of hate phones, but I see the allure definitely).

When we were first dating and in an LDR, my now-husband and I would usually be in contact mornings in IM from work, before we got too busy with work to talk. Then at night we were also usually either in IM or on the phone--but this was NOT an every night thing. There were nights when one or the other of us was busy, for whatever reason. If we were going to be out really late, we'd often text each other a simple Sweet Dreams. None of it was because it was expected, it just felt organic, a couple of hours of conversation would go by in the blink of an eye.

Now when he goes off on business trips he calls me every day and either texts or IMs me at night so the phone ringing doesn't wake up the baby. If he's in a really different time zone, we just play text tag. He also still contacts me during a regular week at least a couple of times from work to let me know he misses me and would rather be home with his family.

No, but we talk randomly throughout the day if I'm by the computer at work. Usually just to catch up on each others' day. If our day has been busy then we usually call at night. If my guy wanted a morning and night text from me I think i'd set my phone to auto-text him at set times of the day because I'd consider that a chore.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

I don't quite see it as a chore at all and it developed organically. We first did it every once in a while but then it got more frequent. We both LOVE texting and I hate speaking on the phone (always have).

He does it when he wakes up and is still in bed and before he goes to sleep (when he is in bed again). It's never just boring "good morning" and nothing else. There is always more substance to it and each day it's different.

As for routine, I don't worry if he breaks it as we usually speak at some point later in the day anyway. I would start to get worried if he went for say 2 days without any contact.

I always do. I'm a pretty affectionate guy and like to let her know I'm thinking of her. When there is a "her" to think of.

When in a relationship, I've always sent/received good morning/night texts., if we didn't actually talk on the phone. I thought it was normal/common.

My ex and I did this. We worked opposite hours, so when he was getting into work, I was getting into bed. Even though I stayed up talking af texting him during his shift. every time I woke up, it was from his morning text. When this stopped, I knew it was over and I was right. The thing is that I know look for This in other guys, even knowing the anxiety it causes when it ends. He would even call to let me know , usually leaving a voice mail when his phone was barely getting service.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

Yeah SG I am also surprised to read that people here see it as a chore. I always had it in the past too...

in my last relationship, we didn't own cell phones when we first started dating (:lmao:), so we would talk online in the morning and when he got home from work, and talking on the phone before bed whenever we could.

after we both got cell phones, we did sent "good morning/good night" texts to each other, as well as talked on the phone every night before bed. as the relationship got older, we dropped the morning/night texts, and, instead, we would text each other things like: "love you, ___," with the blank being filled by a random pet name for each other, during our lunch breaks. we also talked on the phone every night before bed for an hour or so.

this became a common thing and never really got old. every day during lunch, i awaited a cutesy text with a silly pet name that always made my day better. unfortunately, because it became "expected," this was also always true:

it was still nice, though, especially since it was one of the few things that did not change during our 6yr+ tumultuous relationship.

at present, i have been with my bf for about 2 months. he sends me good day/night texts everyday, as well as little emails throughout the day with silly images he finds online that he thinks i will like. he is a sweet guy, and i don't mind the texts.

i think that, generally, it is a rather normal thing to do, especially early on in the relationship. it's one of the sweet things to look forward to in new romances. as it progresses, it may get a little overwhelming, however...as unfortunate as that may be.

BF and I never did that. We would usually exchange a couple FB messages throughout the day or talk on the phone on his lunch break.

Since we've been living together, we just say good morning and good night face to face :love: