dating an ex's best friend? strange feelings!

PDPullmn612

PDPullmn612

Hey guys,

To make a long story short last February (of 2010), my ex gf and I broke up. About 2 months later she and my good friend (or what was a good friend) started dating. Obviously, this was extremely awkward at first as he and I live together and she would come and sleep over, etc. Either way, that's over and done with and I could care less about those 2.

On Thursday I met up with her best friend after work for drinks. We had a great time just hanging out and talking for a few hours. I guess the weird part about it is ever since I can't stop thinking about her and I keep getting these feelings that I would get when I like someone. Now these feelings aren't new too me, but considering I just saw her for the first time in over 1.5 years, its a little strange to me that I'd feel this way towards her.

Either way, she's a really cool girl and after Thursday night I plan on seeing her again to see what happens. Some might say it would be weird to date her, but considering the given situation I think it would be fine.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for any advice in particular, but if you have any thoughts I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with that, as long as no feelings or other friendships are hurt in the process..like her and her best friend's. Although your ex didn't have the courtesy to take in you and your friend's friendship into consideration and it diminished (from what I'd assume) because of that, don't use that as an excuse to do whatever you want with her best friend. Girls have double standards and you don't want to ruin their friendship based off you guys liking each other and having drinks and talking for a few hours. You may want this chick to talk to your ex about it and clear the air before their friendship faces the same doom that yours did.

Presuming you're both adults, your ex'es friend is perfectly capable of both taking responsibility for her friendship with your ex as well as deciding for herself how she will respond to your expressed attraction. IME, women have no problems with these things. They do what they want. Ask her out on an official date and accept her response. Resist trying to 'think' for her or concern yourself with dynamics which don't directly involve you.

As an example, if she prioritizes her friendship with your ex, she might say 'I'm flattered but I think it's inappropriate because your ex and I are best friends and that friendship is valuable to me'. That's one answer of many. Remember, she's a big girl and doesn't need coddling or a man thinking for her. Good luck :)

• Author
PDPullmn612
Nothing wrong with that, as long as no feelings or other friendships are hurt in the process..like her and her best friend's. Although your ex didn't have the courtesy to take in you and your friend's friendship into consideration and it diminished (from what I'd assume) because of that, don't use that as an excuse to do whatever you want with her best friend. Girls have double standards and you don't want to ruin their friendship based off you guys liking each other and having drinks and talking for a few hours. You may want this chick to talk to your ex about it and clear the air before their friendship faces the same doom that yours did.

Oh, of course I don't think I can do whatever I want just because my ex went ahead and pursued my friend regardless of how I felt or what my thoughts were. While it may seem that way, just because she did it doesn't make it alright for me to go ahead and do it.

I'm not even saying this girl likes me, but I'm definitely interested in seeing her more and seeing what happens. My ex's friend (we'll call her Kelly) and I have been cool ever since the break up, but only just met up and hung out for the first time.

I'm seeing her again this Thursday so after we hang out again I'll make a decision whether or not I'm going to ask her out on an "official" date.

• Author
PDPullmn612

In addition, I normally would never consider dating an ex's good friend out of respect for everyone involved in the situation. But, given the situation of my ex dating one of my friends I'm considering otherwise. I figured if they did it, and my ex has no problem with it, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal to her. Again, she could easily have double standards and be completely against it, but lets hope she can be reasonable about it considering who she is dating now.

Either way, I guess I'll find out sooner or later...