Relationship doubts....

win1234

Hello Everybody,

I am currently in somewhat of an uncertain situation. I have been together with my partner for 1 and 1/2 years now, and we have had some turbulent times. Recently I have been starting to have doubts about my feelings and am unsure as to our compatibility. She is 1 year older than me and we are in our early twenties. My temperment is far more docile and placid while she has a very strong and at times very aggresive personality. There have been some very bad arguments, and at times pretty violent. We have made up plenty of times, but I am starting to question if this is really right for me. I feel pressurised by her into a paticular way of life that does not really represent who i am. I have always been more of a guy who appreciates time to himself, while my partner is very much a family person. She goes over to see her mother everyday and if I do not come she often feels hurt and feels that I dont want to be with her. I have no problem with visiting her family but I need to see my friends and family to and rarely get to see them. I think if i were more assertive this may solve some of this, but this is not the case. I do know she loves me and we have had some very good times together. However there is things I am scared to do for fear of upsetting her.( Going for a walk on my own, playing a game, etc )On the otherhand I am scared of making the wrong decision....maybe she is right for me ? ... I know if I do end it, it will break her heart, and it will put me into a very tough situation...we have taken a loan out togehter to pay some debts, but its all in my name, and doubt that she would be willing to repay her have if I end it. I know at the end of the day if its my and her happiness that is at stake, money should not really come into it, and it will be a very valuable and expensive lesson that I will have learned. However I cant help having this funny feeling that somewhere out there there is someone who is more compatible with my personality ?

I am sure plenty of you have been in this situation.....any advice ?

Regards,

W.

YOU WROTE: " I feel pressurised by her into a paticular way of life that does not really represent who i am."

That's all you had to say. Get out of it. You didn't have many positive things to say about the relationship. It's very wrong. I can't understand why you borrowed money counting on her to help you pay it back if you clearly saw the relationship was wrong...but you must have needed the money real bad. Cut your losses. If you can pay the money back alone, great. If not, refinance or otherwise stretch out the payments. But get out of this relationship now. There is nothing to be gained by remaining with the wrong person.

I'm sure this will hurt you and you will miss her. You love her for sure. But love falls way short in its ability to keep two incompatible people together. You are not happy and you are very right, there's somebody else out there who will make a much more acceptable life partner for you.

I'm just wondering why you stayed in this relationship so long. The two of you are not on the same page, not on the same chapter and I wonder if you're working off the same book.

• Author

Hi Tony,

We both split the loan in half and she pays me her half back every month. Why have we been together so long ? I dont know - i think on my behalve it may have something to do with a fear of being alone - without a partner, not really sure. The point is that we have had some good and fun times but we have had some frequent and very bad arguments. I think we have both felt that we cannot just be ourselves with each other. I have to make an effort to see her family and she has to do the same. Previously I was in another relationship for 1 year and this did not work out either. I just want to make sure its not my hormones going wild wanting other women. I want to make sure it is genuinly my feelings and that it is my own personal happiness that is at stake here.

I am attracted to her and do love a side to her, but I feel I am asking her to change - to be nicer to me, more gentle, to shout less, to give me my own space, to show her happiness and appreciation at the small things i do ( breakfast in bed, cuddles, etc ) - it feels like if I dont buy her a 6 bedroom mansion, I would risk losing her at times - I can only do my best - and at times it feels that i am giving 110 % but am not getting the type of love I want in return - this not being loads of sex, or me being able to treat her like a doormat, no , all I want to see is that she is genuinly and truelly happy - but alot of the time all I get to hear is when I do something wrong, forget something like, forget to put the bin out ( - after probably cleaning the house from top - to bottom - but this seems to go unnotticed ) - And this certainly does not motivate me to continue to make an effort, and this is why I have started to have doubts.

But the otherside of the coin says that sometimes things have to be discussed and can be worked out. Often its a lack of communication that damages relationships, but is this something more fundamental ?

Regards,

W

But the otherside of the coin says that sometimes things have to be discussed and can be worked out. Often its a lack of communication that damages relationships, but is this something more fundamental ?

You have done such an articulate job of expressing your feelings so eloquently here. Have you also tried to do so with your partner? Is there any chance of finding some compromise, and working on better methods of communicating with each other if you just sit down and tell her the same things you stated here?

...Or have you already tried?

• Author

I have tried....we have tried... it also has to be said that we both come from differing backgrounds....which in essence should make no difference when it comes to love....but I feel lost and just dont feel as appreciated as I could be and I feel unable to be myself.

However ultimately I fear that if she allows me to be myself and allows me more time to myself and my friends and my family, that deep down I may just be trying to escape from the relationship, but am to scared to admit the truth to myself and more importantly, to admit the truth to my partner.....

And to be honest she gets angry and upset when I discuss both my feelings and hers and...our feelings for each other.....why ? I dont know...maybe she is insecure....I am not sure......

What is the best way to tackle this ?

At the end of the day I know no matter what decision I take, no matter what road I follow, it will not be without tears and pain, no decision is perfect and potentially will have both postive and negative consequences for those involved with that decision...........

W

And to be honest she gets angry and upset when I discuss both my feelings and hers and...our feelings for each other.....why ?

Being in a relationship where you are not free to express your feelings and be yourself is a torture worse than any I can imagine. Sometimes couples learn in time how to communicate more effectively, sometimes it takes professional help, and sometimes it just never evolves at all. And more important than learning how to "talk," is learning how to "listen" to what your partner is saying.

It can be even more difficult when one partner is passive, while the other is aggressive. While opposites often attract, it is so important that a couple be on level playing fields when it comes to communication, basic principles, and how they define their roles within a committed relationship. It is after all, a "partnership" and not a competition.

And as far as learning "expensive lessons," many people, including myself, have paid that price not once...but MANY times. It's money you won't get back, but the invaluable lesson within is worth every single penny! ;)

I think we have both felt that we cannot just be ourselves with each other.

I am not all that fond of everything Dr. Phil has to say, but he does have some very good advice on occasion. One of his sayings is that your relationship should be your 'soft place to land'. By this, he means your relationship should be the place you feel most accepted, understood, and comfortable. It should be your refuge, not your battleground.

Settle for no less.

• Author

I do feel it is starting to get more and more difficult. If I end this relationship it will mean that she will end up very hurt and I will loose alot of friends that I hav made through her. There would be no way that I would be able to see them again. My partner will be very very heart broken, and this is something I really dont want to do to her, but I cant help feeling that I can and should be treated differently.

I dont see why she should really have to change the person who she is, this may mean that she ends up unhappy. We both have to be able to be ourselves and be able to support ourselves in a relationship and we should not have to constantly fight to defend ourselves and the persons who we are.

I am worried that if I stay in the relationship that the only reason I will be staying in it is to keep the friends I have made and for pure convenience - which I dont think are the right reasons. I have also gotten very close to one of the little kids in my partners family ( 3 years old ) - who I would really really miss....

Are these just consequences and facts that I would need to live up to ? Bite the bullet as such ?

W.

'Relationship doubts' says it all.

If you were happy and its exactly what you wanted you would have no doubts.

I have been in a relationship with a very agressive person who wanted his own way all the time, wanted to hang out with HIS family and friends most of the time and not much with mine.

Whenever he brought up a subject it was ok but when I brought up a subject or tried to voice something he would overreact and basically couldn't handle it.

I felt I had to walk on eggshells, I was scared to say that I was going out with a friend or that I didn't feel like going out with his or that I would like him to come to my friends party.

But I felt suffocated, unhappy and most importantly I felt I couldn't be myself and really I was angry at why I couldn't be myself.

I wanted us to be eachothers 'soft place to fall' but I felt like I was the enemy in his eyes everytime I disagreed or did my own thing.

And one day he did me a favour and dumped me. Why? Because I started to say no and I started to voice what I didn't like more often. Not long after that he said we were similar but different and that I was too set in my ways :)

More like I did not obey him anymore. He dumped me so fast I didn't even get the chance to tell him my needs were important too which was next on my list of claiming my rights in the relationship.

Needy aggressive men are much better in this case. You don't do what they want they dump you. Its swift and fast.

Now, in your case you will not get dumped because you are the passive man and the woman is needy and aggressive. Even if you voice your needs you will probably get all the crying, guilt trips and all that stuff that needy, aggressive, demanding girls do.

They will hang onto the relationship for dear life and still try to guilt you into feeling you are wrong, and how much they love you.

So you will have to do the dumping swift and fast. No contact and all that.

I would have dumped my guy too eventually. If I had voiced my needs and saw he didn't respect them or care about them I would have concluded he was selfish, inconsiderate and uncaring towards my needs and thats not love is it?

You deserve better. Every relationship should be a soft place to fall...for both people.

• Author
I wanted us to be eachothers 'soft place to fall' but I felt like I was the enemy in his eyes everytime I disagreed or did my own thing.

This really does hit the spot with how I feel at times.....even when I really do try to make an effort or go beyond the call of duty, something little will not be right and I will be made feel like if I am Satans Brother.

However recently I feel she knows that I am not happy and I can see she is trying to make more of an effort to be nicer. Maybe the best way to find out is for me to just be myself and see if she accepts this, and if not then well the truth will be clear for both of us ?

Regards,

W

My bf tried to make some effort at some point but really he was going against his essence and couldn't keep it up. Really they cannot change because their actions are some kind of protective/defensive behaviours that stem from protective thoughts that stem from inner insecurities and fears.

Until they realize this about themselves and become more secure in themselves and develop trust they will never truly change.

Its like they are trying to enforce some kind of loyalty from you by being aggressive and when you comply its some kind of assurance to them that you love them but its never ever enough.

But you can always try, at least you will know you tried everything and then you will have no regrets.

Sometimes I wish I had the chance to try, maybe I could have got through to him but he didn't give me that chance.

Now I don't think it wouldn't have made a difference because people like this need counselling. The fears and insecurities run very deep in controlling/aggressive/very insecure people.

Correcting a spelling mistake :)

would have not wouldn't have

'Now I don't think it would have made a difference because people like this need counselling. The fears and insecurities run very deep in controlling/aggressive/very insecure people.'

• Author

You are very right. Somehow there is something in me that wants to try and make it work but I feel i would be forcing it to work. I am definetly the passive one in this relationship...I have had my share of insecurities to, but I just shutdown and become a closet case,( not necessarily good or healthy either ) while my partner sure knows how to express her feelings, unfortunatly in not the most pleasant or caring way.

I know I have a certain insecurity, a fear of being alone, but I dont think I should be feeding this fear by staying in a relationship that I do not feel happy in. (Knowing your weaknesses is one thing but actually fighting them and overcoming them is another.. )

And I have proven to myself in the past that their is ladies out there who are interested in me and who have been affectionate to me.... ( why I left them, i do not know at times ) ... at least there is ladies out there who I know will be happy, and I will be able to see that they are happy.

And at the end of the day we dont have that much in common....

Cheers,

W.

We are pretty much the same :)

But we have REALIZED we shut down and become closet cases and next time round we will try not to do that.

Being passive is unhealthy too. Relationships also teach you a lot about yourself if you dare to look at your part in it all.

Everybody is insecure and has fears but not everybody has the same level of them nor does it affect people in the same way.

Its better to find someone on similar levels who is also _aware_ that they have them and how they make them react or behave. And most importantly are also willing to improve on them for their own sake and for a better relationship.

I do also have to mention that I was made to feel like the daughter of satan. Your Satans brother comment just stuck in my head cos it hit the nail right on the head. Does that make you my uncle? :)

Good luck with your path to self-improvement and quest for a more balanced, healthy and happy relationship.

I dont see why she should really have to change the person who she is

Why ever not? I am not at all in agreement with this 'people shouldn't change themselves' stuff; at least not the way it's used here. It is correct in your case - you shouldn't have to stifle your views and walk around on eggshells but people who are aggressive, unkind, or have other such flaws should change themselves if they possibly can. And often they can.

I agree that your GF probably has deep-seated personality issues that would take a lot of therapy to change, but her behaviour is not acceptable and therefore it is changeworthy.

Having said that, I still think you should leave. Tell her why and suggest she get therapy and maybe she'll eventually be able to behave in a way that is conducive to having a relationship.

• Author

I do believe we should all be given the opportunity to change, noone is perfect and especially in realtionships compromise is very important...and as important as it is to love one partners positves it is also important to be able to accept and understand their negatives and help them with there negatives.

Even tonight I have decided not to go to her parents and to meet with a friend, and she now does want to be picked up from work, and she has made me feel like I hate her family, hate her, and , well I should basically go to hell.

This is what frustrates me. Her family has had the whole flower / chocolate /wine treatment from me, I think I actually help out more in the house than all the male members put together, wash dishes, help with hoovering, help with the little members, help with odd-jobs around the house, give family members lifts in the car,and then when once or twice in the week I want some time to myself, I am the worst guy in the world - and its not like I am even stopping her from seeing her family as much as she wants.

Once a week for 30 minutes I go to see my mother, and If I am 15 min late, I am again the worst and most uncaring guy in the world.

I literally have to nearly watch every move I make, and this is really stressfull.....

Then I might her ask her why she is so annoyed, and she gets even more annoyed for me asking the question and questioning if she really likes me ?!!!

Stressfull to say the least....

W

Dude, I don't think the signs could be any more clearer. You have gotten some awesome advice from this thread, so what are you waiting for? The more you stay with her, the more she breaks you down.

Yes, it is hard to leave someone when you share the same friends and genuinely like their family members, etc but a lot of us are in that boat A LOT. The sooner you put the relationship out of it's misery the sooner you can heal and move on. It's going to hurt no matter what path you choose. If you choose to stay, you're hurt in the longrun. If you leave, you have a chance to be who you really are with someone who will love you back the same way.

Take from this experience and learn from it. Relationships aren't easy and always have consequences but we learn from them and it helps us develop a sense of self and what we will and will not tolerate in a partner. You now know what you DON'T want in a partner so the flip side of that is what you do want in a person. So go out and find her!! In the meantime, heal your heart and you'll thank yourself in the future.

• Author

Thanks for the tips and good advice. Relationships sure can be tough....... She knows now that I have doubts and basically all night last night we have been discussing it, and alot more talking will need to be done today.

I feel happy that I have taken the first step in actually talking about it with her, that has taken alot of the stress away. I know now for definet that its not only my own happiness that is important but also hers.

She wants to give it a second chance and she is willing to change...... I do believe in second chances.... I think its worth considering... I think I will know by tonight how I feel about the situation.....however even if she does change...i question if she will just end up bottling her feelings and will just be unhappy...and if anthing I wonder if bottling her feelings will only make her temper worse and make her unhappy to.

Love is a rough and tough ride....

W

It can be very difficult for people to change something like this on their own. She may benefit from an anger management course or some counselling if she genuinely wants to change. Be warned, though, that it is typical for abusive people to swear remorse and vow they will change - and it lasts for a short while and then they go back to the same old patterns. This is called the 'honeymoon' phase. Read about the 'Cycle of Abuse' on the following link and know the signs. http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/Abuser/dynamics.htm

• Author

The link does sound very familiar. Thanks for posting it. No matter what the outcome is i think I have come to terms with one very important fact and that is that I have accepted that this relationship may not work, and that I must make sure I dont hang on for the wrong reasons, insecurity, convenience, money etc....

W.

• 5 months later...
adamwestern

And it seems like i am at my wits end, cause she feels like i do...that she can't always come to me with her issues or feelings in this relationship and together we walk down the path called "EGGSHELLS" but it is hard to listen to someone who won't give you that same atention, i used to, but the more i listened the more i had to repress my feelings, the more i repressed, the worse and unhappy i got, it's madness and now we are 4 months away from 2years and i wonder if this foundation can be fixed can it be built on?she pissed anytime i want to express my unhappiness, i have heard everything "are you done" "Cry me a river" and i really feel that is her insecurity coming out, and the only difference from her to me is that i can admit my mistakes i can tell you openly why i do some things and how i am knowledgeable about what changes need to happen and openly apologize without a fight, but not her and i see that in my parents, you try so hard to make somebody happy and the more you do the, themore they tell you how this or that isn't right, and its nagging as if life wasn't hard enought...there has been some huge turbulent fights, three times it got physical, twice by me and once by her and i just dont want to quit, but i know what my parents have and that is the same thing i grew up seeing, it's a sick cycle, i want to be able to still look at her 20yrs down the road and say we still did it and laugh,and things have gotten better, better in the sense that it has gone into remission for another couple months and then back to the same heartache, same dissapointments, etc...i see potential still, crazy huh? only god knows, but something has to give...and i am really just trying to be me now and do my part and communicate to the best of my ability and i think that will show over time based off of her reactions what step i take next....good luck and it's good to know that i am not the only one