Fine line between pickup line and a funny joke

irc333

I was wondering, is there a fine line between a pick up line and a funny joke?

I was listening to some movie preview, and I overheard it, and some guy who was chatting up a woman said, "How much does a polar bear weigh?"

And he said, "Enough to break the ice"

I seriously smiled at that one. But every thread I ever heard a woman respond to ANY pick up line, even funny ones were stupid, and deemed a guy a looser for trying.

Perhaps there's a certain classification of pick up lines that are "Creepy" because they can be sexual or vulgar in nature THOSE I can understand to be off-putting.

But I have heard of pick up lines that make me laugh, and personally if it doesn't make a woman laugh, it makes me wonder about her sense of humor.

But you have to admit, there are some funny TASTEFUL lines out there, right?

And I know some women probably laugh on the inside, but perhaps keeps it to herself? I don't know.

Personally, I find that using a blatant pick up line is the joke. For example, I could use a pick up line and the girl and I will both start laughing because I don't actually think it'll work, just doing it so she knows my intentions. I would then introduce myself after the ice has been broken.

I think it is all relative, whether a girl takes it well or not. I wouldn't use any lines but if I were to, it would be really lame and said in a playful way.

The problem with a pickup line is that it's a line. They don't work because women (unless they are extremely naive or not very bright) know that you've used in before and will use it again. Pickups lines demonstrate that the person using it is not very bright and not funny. A spontaneous joke or clever comment, OTH, demonstrates that you're clever, which most women find attractive.