Why Am I Attracted to Free-Spirits?

I came from a wealthy conservative family with a great upbringing and great parents.

I like to have a good time, but I don't do any drugs. I am a fun, pretty wild guy, and I wouldn't consider myself a complete uptight conservative guy at all.

Recently, I have found that I am attracted to free-spirit girls that are extremely socially liberal, and some may even be considered girls with no propriety, no tact, and no integrity. These girl's parents were hippies. One in particular comes off as a snide bitch to her friends and people she is close with. They don't seem like a good fit personality wise for me, but I am very sexually attracted to them.

Thoughts?

I think with a lot of people, what we're strongly attracted to at first isn't necessarily the most ideal fit for us in the long run. However, many of us take awhile to realize that, or don't at all, primarily because it's hard to apply logical thoughts to an attraction.

I came from a wealthy conservative family with a great upbringing and great parents.

I like to have a good time, but I don't do any drugs. I am a fun, pretty wild guy, and I wouldn't consider myself a complete uptight conservative guy at all.

Recently, I have found that I am attracted to free-spirit girls that are extremely socially liberal, and some may even be considered girls with no propriety, no tact, and no integrity. These girl's parents were hippies. One in particular comes off as a snide bitch to her friends and people she is close with. They don't seem like a good fit personality wise for me, but I am very sexually attracted to them.

Thoughts?

probably the same reason women find bad boys so appealing.

people like this tend to be charismatic and charming to the opposite sex.

its got nothing to do with compatibility personality wise, people like this are a bit out of our comfort zone, a bit edgy, mysterious and dangerous. they arent like you, thats where the mystery comes in.

we feel most comfortable with people who are similar to us, but we're more intruiged by people who are very different.

Proper, conservative girls are boring. This is no different from girls being attracted to jerks. You say you like to party, therefore you are attracted to girls who are accepting of that lifestyle.

torranceshipman

Just remember it is ONLY a sexual attraction you are feeling...go for the roll in the hay but don't try to make a R out of it...

Growing up in a conservative family you were taught not to act out in various ways. This part of you became repressed and as a consequence you felt less whole. As an adult you try to be the wild, fun guy and are attracted to liberal women because somewhere in your subconscious you want to reconnect with your repressed self and regain the feeling of being whole.

Thoughts?

Given the bevahoir of many conservatives, I cannot imagine what the trouble is.

Jersey Shortie

Probably because it's the opposite of what you are.

I am more if an artisitc free spirit type. I do enjoy politics and debate. But I am pretty much a marshmellow, girly, sometimes silly, etc. etct... I am highly attracted to very intelligent men that are not artistic or party types. I like how they have strength in areas I don't. Although sometimes these types are the most sensitive and I often get my feelings hurt.

Because they are crazy and you can't hold onto them. "Free-Spirits" usually have major mental or emotional problems and are unable or unwilling to form long lasting or intimate relationships. Have fun with them, but don't expect anything more other than a good time.

Untouchable_Fire

Thoughts?

I feel you man! I had the same issue.

I think this happens because you feel constrained at times by expectations or whatever, and these girls don't have that so it seems attractive.

I've kind of moved away from the more hardcore liberal people in my life. They tend to be extremely selfish and lack what we normal people call morals.

• Author

I don't feel ambivalent about what to do, but sometimes these girl's attitudes and moral fiber just runs against the grain of who I am. It makes holding on to a friendship even hard. I know not to pursue a real relationship, but it really pushes my buttons when it comes to a primitive sexual attraction feeling.

You're right. It does seem there is something wrong emotionally with one of these girls. She grew up with an extremely domineering father who has anti-social tendencies. There was physical abuse in the household. I'm not sure if she was on the receiving end though.

Saying that "proper" and conservative girls are boring is a generalization. I had sex with a girl who worked very high up in John McCain's presidential campaign. She loved cocaine and kinky sex. On the outside she was quiet and "proper" as one poster said, but when the lights went down and the door closed she turned into a tiger.

Edited by Tiz

I've kind of moved away from the more hardcore liberal people in my life. They tend to be extremely selfish and lack what we normal people call morals.

As it sucks to generalize, most liberals I've had or have in my life tend to lack integrity and are often selfish/self-absorbed. It doesn't hurt to be associated with them, just don't always rely on them when you need a helping hand or someone reliable.

Back to the OP, I think it's only natural to be attracted to the raw excitement these types offer. I think deep down we know they are not long-term material and that they live for the moment. Kind of like how someone else worded it to girls being attracted to bad-boys.

I don't feel ambivalent about what to do, but sometimes these girl's attitudes and moral fiber just runs against the grain of who I am. It makes holding on to a friendship even hard. I know not to pursue a real relationship, but it really pushes my buttons when it comes to a primitive sexual attraction feeling.

Where there you go, that's your answer. We're not living in the 19th century dude.

Primal sexual attraction is the way to go, whilst playing around at least.

I would suggest if you're finding a life long partner though they you find a sensible girl. Not a boring one, but a spontaneous one that's fun and interesting, good in bed, but still has the right values. In other words someone with a good balance.

There are girls like that out there. Just need to take some time to find one.

• Author
Given the bevahoir of many conservatives, I cannot imagine what the trouble is.

I'm not referring to political conservatism at all.