partner's family

malibustacydoll

malibustacydoll

I was wondering how big of a deal it is for you to get along with your SO's family and the other way around? My boyfriend's family and I don't really get along. It isn't that we fight but it is that they are very cold. They are not interested in getting to know me despite my attempts to be friendly. They really just seem indifferent and don't care. I absolutely hate their personalities. I have to spend time at his house when we go there for holidays or visits and I absolutely hate it. It is so dead and cold and I feel like I am dead there. There is no life. I know in the future he wants to spend time with his family and I do not foresee it getting better. I know him and I come from different lifestyles but I think that may start coming up in the future to cause problems. I come from a rather poor family but despite the issues we have had my family has life and we are quite close and friendly. He comes from money yet his family is very cold and lacks personality and they are not people I want to be around.

Family is very important to me and my SO. He hangs out with my family a lot and they absolutely adore him. His family lives across the country but we see them as much as possible, I often e-mail with his mom as well. I dislike the idea of being a stranger to your SO's family.

Though they may not be perfect in your eyes, and you in theirs, it's really worth the effort. How does your SO feel about your views on this?

• Author
malibustacydoll

I really want to be close to his family. I feel like the problem is on their part though. He says that is just how they are, very distant. I always get along with adults and usually get along with them better than those my own age. (I guess I am an adult now, but a college student so it doesn't feel like it.) It is as if they have no care to get to know me. This bothers me and I take it personal. If I had a kid dating someone I would want to get to know them and everything about them. It is important to me, but if we end up moving away someday and see them only every now and then I guess that it would not matter then. I am not sure what to do though. I have to go to his house tomorrow for a few days-- and I am not looking forward to it at all!