Dead Silence Around Family

A bit troubled at the moment - I know the things I'd have to do, just doing them is the hard part.

I wouldn't be having this problem if the girl I like wasn't around family. I've thought over it and figured out that I don't like feeling vulnerable around family. So - going pass through risky stages around family becomes pretty difficult. Although, I am trying to break the habit - saying it doesn't matter, when I know it really, really doesn't matter.

About her:

She's conversationally shy, meaning that she won't start a conversation or even directly approach me. There would be times where I'd talk to her, but she'd only nod or answer very shortly. Although, when we're alone, she'd open up more. She becomes super quiet whenever she is around me, although I know she isn't the occasionally shy type - she's the active type; sports, talkative, basically the spunky girl around friends.

To top it all off, I'm also conversationally shy - but I'm a spunky guy, too. It's the dead silence that is the problem. I try talking to her, after going over it in my head, I'd talk to her. But, she'd always have her cellphone up - like she's trying to keep her attention to something else, so she'd avoid looking nervous (Since she's so quiet!). I sat right next to her once, as she tinkled with her cellphone. I manage to get a tiny smile out of her when I asked if she was "busy" with the phone. But, it's usually small talk and it doesn't go far from there, since I have to lead it. I usually kick myself, because it's usually after the small talk is done when I think of something to continue it. So basically, small talk, then silence - think reopening again to continue the small talk into a larger conversation is appropriate - even after already silence?

"Suck it up and go talk to her. Don't be a pansy flower!" I know this, but damn is it hard. It's like there's an invisible barrier stopping me. I want to break this habit, fast - since I only have two weeks left until I'm gone for a few months. Suppose I get through to her and continue to melt the ice over the week, getting communication with her as I'm gone would benefit a lot? Because, I have a really strong gut feel and logical thought that she digs me A LOT.

• Author

Sorry, man. I have a tendency to write in partial when thinking too much.

Her and I would shy away when we're around each other, when in a family environment. Although, we're both shy at the time, I usually break it and talk to her. But, it's only small talk - because I become nervous: because of family. Though, when we're alone, she'd open up and I wouldn't be so nevous - which means being myself and keep talking all the way.

Kissing her.. Sounds like a great idea, but the nerves get in the way. And, we never have a chance alone. I've already tried a bunch of times to get her to go on another date (she says yes, but we don't go out), but with so little time we get to see each other is wasted: because it's always around family.

Sure, the family knows about us two. When we're around each other, I get this pressure around them - like they're expecting me to automatically chat her up and make the deal. Then she feels all nervous, since she's super quiet around me.