My bestfriend and the girl he's seeing

confusedfriend

confusedfriend

This is my first time posting on this forum, so sorry if its out of place or silly sounding. This is long, I am sorry. I needed to explain this as best I could because I feel like a bystander who needs to stop a train wreak from happening.

My friend was in a LDR for about three years. He always hated being in a long distance relationship, but loved his ex, and did not want to hurt her.

This summer, the ex was really busy with work for about a month and a half, and in that time, my friend met a new girl. I do not really know if he told the new girl about his ex, when I ask about this he tells me to piss off. I think he probably mentioned his ex (who he was dating at the time), to the new girl, maybe once or twice.

His ex visited him about a month ago and she knew something was wrong. She started asking me if I knew anything, but I kept my mouth shut. Eventually she figured it out for herself, that my friend was losing interest in her, and investing himself in this new girl.

So she dumped him on the spot and cried to me about it for a while (we had a decent friendship, and I guess she wanted to talk to one of his friends). For a while she kept asking for him back, and he would not have it. He started seeing the new girl, and the ex backed off.

My problem is this:

I found out my friend is still having phone sex and internet sex with his ex. He told me he is still attracted to her. He does not want a relationship, but she says she does not either, so he thinks it is okay. BUT he is also casually dating the new girl he left his ex for. The new girl seems very shy and quiet, he mentioned to me how she gets depressed easily. They have been casually dating since he broke up with his ex. He told me they are not exclusive yet, it has not been discussed, so he is just going to let things happen. If him and the new girl end up serious he will stop fooling around with his ex.

I feel like I've stood by and seen too much messed up **** happen. His ex is obviously trying to get him back, and the new girl has no clue about my buddy fooling around. Should I intervene? When I talked to him last about this he did not seem to understand the severity of the situation. He says he loves his ex but doesnt want a relationship with her, and as for the new girl he'll let things happen if they happen... is he doing the right thing? I do not know. I also suggested to my friend that maybe this new girl is a rebound, even though he could have his ex back if he wanted, it seems like this new girl is just something to keep him from getting lonely. Any suggestions?