Attracted to co-worker who is 5 years older?

Superdude87

Hey you guys! I just wanted to get some advice about a situation I'm currently in. There is a girl I work with that I am very attracted to and it may be wishful thinking but I think it's a mutual feeling. She's not typically the kind of girl I find myself attracted to, but I can't deny it. The only problem is she is five years older than me (I'm only 20 while she is 25). The age thing doesn't intimidate me so much, it's just the fact that she is so much more experienced and educated than me. She has already graduated with a bachelors degree in English, soon to go back in order to get her masters. I, on the other hand, am attending community college for some general courses and just a few basic ideas about a career path.

Now, I consider myself pretty mature for my age but I'm not above laughing at stupid jokes, acting retarded with my friends and generally being a kid every now and then. The problem is, I feel like I couldn't have an intellectual conversation with this girl on her level. She is extremely intelligent and obviously with an extra five years under her belt she very well ought to be. I doubt I could hold up in a conversation about current politics, religion, or anything like that...i just don't know about that kinda stuff! Mabye I'm worrying too much, but I feel like if I ever tried to initiate anything with her as far as seeing each other outside of work it would only expose me for the kid I really am.

And like I said, I do consider myself mature compared to others my age but I don't know alot about things that "normal" people do. I know that sounds confusing, but for example going out to a bar or something. I never drank throughout high school, so I don't know stuff about drinking...which may sound weird but its a major social thing that I feel awkward because of. Like, I don't know what certain drinks are, what's good what's bad, etc. I spent most of my high school playing in a few bands (played guitar and was really into music), working out/lifting weights, and working some part time jobs. No crazy partying, no crazy stories, but that's not really how I am anyway.

I wish I wasn't attracted to her the way I am, but I can't really help it. It seems like she shares the attraction at least physically, but I'm really not sure. So I'm a little confused on what to do. On one hand, it seems simple: I like her, we should hang out and spend time together but obviously the age difference and her superiorintellect are a bit intimidating and I don't want to appear just some ignorant kid...even if I am one :].

So...any advice ? Should I just go for it and see how things go? Thanks

I had a crush on an older woman and eventually got up the courage to ask her out. She turned me down but felt great that I did not worry about her any more. And later when she asked about it in general conversation I told her about my relief and I don't think she liked that.

Never hide who you are to someone you're interested in. Just be yourself and ask her out. If she likes you, she will accept.

Please, please don't try to act more mature or knowledgeable for her benefit. When she figures you out, she'll be more upset with a fraud.

Like the old saying goes...Never sh*t where you eat....or mix business with pleasure. From what I have seen (from my ex hubby and his second ex wife) and heard, is always bad.