Call ex on his birthday?

pseudofemme

My ex boyfriend's birthday is next week. We've spoken twice since we broke up a few months ago, and it was by phone, because he lives two states away. He called me both times. I have not called him.

The break up went well, we are on good terms, but I really don't like talking to him. It brings back too many memories when I hear his voice, and I always end up saying something I regret while we're on the phone. We've agreed to be "just friends" and don't have any no-contact rules, but I'm trying to give him the hint (by not calling) that I don't really want him in my life anymore. So I worry that if I call this time, we'll start talking regularly again... (this happened with his ex, and he ended up falling back in love with her--I definitely DON'T want that to happen with me).

On the other hand, I know he'd appreciate it if I wished him a happy birthday... and I don't want to come off as insensitive by not calling.

Any advice?

[quote=pseudofemme;935903

The break up went well, we are on good terms, but I really don't like talking to him. It brings back too many memories when I hear his voice, and I always end up saying something I regret while we're on the phone.

Only call him if you feel comfortable with it, if it brings back too many memories or you feel as if you could start up the painful relationship again -- don't. Perhaps and email or a text message would work to let him know everything is good between you, but again, it would still open up contact. Make sure you can handle a phone call, if you can't, just don't call him.

If you do, it may be better the day before, or after his birthday, as it may bring back painful memories for him too, and you wouldn't want to put a dampner on it.

In the end it's up to you and how you feel you would cope with the situation.

i don't think long distance relationships work out but thats just me well thats my belief anyway...i'm young and inexperience..the choice is yours to make.