Friends stood me up on my B-Day and stuck me with the bill. What do I do now?

baltimoregirl42

baltimoregirl42

Here's the situation:

I recently moved from the east coast to California. About 6 of my friends fromthe east coast moved to the same general area about 3 months before I did. My birthday happened recently and in honor of that a guy that I have been seeing for about 2 months decided to throw me a party at an upscale club in the area. He asked me who I wanted to invite and thier emails. He sent out inviations informing everyone that if we got roughly 20 people to attend it would cost $x amount per person and so he needed to know ASAP to be sure he reserved enough table and liquor. He sent out these invitations to about 20 people, we had about 18 people RSVP back that they would be attending. Based on that #, my guy reserved 2 tables and 2 bottles and paid up front for everything as he was required to. My 6 friends were among the ones who said that they would be there.

Well, the big night came and everyone was excellent about giving my guy $ at the door, and they settled in for a funnight of drinking and dancing. I was very excited about seeing my friends from home who I hadn't seen but once since I moved. I talked to my other friends who were there and told them that I couldn't wait for them to meet my old friends, they were so much fun, etc.

Around midnight those 6 still hadn't shown up and I was getting nervous, so I called them and tex messaged them to make sure everything was okay. No one answered their phones and no one text messaged me back. Eventually last call rolled around and they still hadn't shown. So, as you can imagine, my guy got screwed on the bill. Screwed out of approximately $300. I felt horrible. Not only had I talked these "friends" up (as we have been friends for years) but I was humiliated. This guy went out of his way to throw me a party, organize it, etc, and he got shorted by MY so-called friends.

The next day came and went without any phone calls or text messages from any of them. I called one of them (the one I was closest with) and told him that I was hurt, embarassed, and stuck with the bill. He told me that they didn't show because "we were all tired". I told him that I felt extremely uncomfortable calling him about this, but that I felt obligated to pay for them now and, quite frankly, I don't have an extra $300. I asked if they could help us out with the bill. He basically told me to f**k off and that it wasn't his problem (keep in mind I know for a fact that he is well-off financially and he can afford it). He even asked me, "Why didnt you just get more $ from the people who showed up?" Well, I told him, because no one ever told me you guys weren't going to show!

The nest day I got an angry email from him telling me that I had a lot of nerve calling him, that I never made an effort to hang out with them since I moved, etc. Hello???!!! Inviting you out WAS my effort to hang out. And none of them ever called me to hang out either.

So here I am: hurt, angry, humiliated, and about to be out $300 because of them.

What I want to know is, did I handle this the right way? Was what they did really that bad/rude or am I overreacting? Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I personally think it is pretty crappy for thos so-called 6 friends to do this to you.

I think you had every right to call the one up you felt closest too to find an answer to what happened and to tell him that because of lack of respect you are stuck with a bill..

These so-called friends aren't your friends. A true friend would have contacted you one way or another that they couldn't make it. It's weird that 6 of them stood you up--I wonder if they planned this?

Maybe you thought they were close friends to you but apparently they didnt' feel you were a close friend to them.

I have friends whom I don't see often and don't have frequent contact with but when we make plans we keep in touch about every aspect of it.

Those 6 are imature, selfish, self-centered and you dont need those kinds of friends...

I am upset just reading your post... Ugh.. Some people need to be smacked upside the head....

• Like 1

Chalk it it to lifes wonderful experiences...

What have your learned ??

You need to pick your friends better.. friends don't f*** other friends out of a bar/food tab like that...

Nothing you can do.. let it go and NEVER speak with them again

this dosn't offer much consolation, but at least you know their true colours! Your boyfriends a sweetheart, and your friends are all cows! They atucally sound like this girl that i used to be friends with... She just didn't get any better, so i kinda dumped her!

• Author
baltimoregirl42

This is all very true. At least now I know. I'm just hurt and upset. And out $300 I don't have :(

I actually did email the one guy the next day (after I got his email) just explaining my reasons for being so upset when I called him the day before. It wasn't a mean email, it just basically said that I was hurt and embarassed, and I thought our friendship was worth more then that. He never responded, so I guess that answers that. Ugh.