upset over people who are different than me

I'm not sure if this is the right place to write about this issue, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try.

I got into an argument with my friend tonight. Basically, I was getting aggravated because most of my friends won't do things that I consider fun, like horse-back riding, waverunning, sports... etc. They enjoy shopping, eating out, hanging out...

I was trying to figure myself out - why was I getting upset over this? I know everyone is different and I should respect other people's interests, even if they are different than mine. I started thinking about the past. I realized that other types of people usually got me annoyed. For example, it gets me annoyed when people get dressed up on a regular weekday or are extremely into the current fashious (I'm not like that).

Thats when it dawned on me that it gets me annoyed when people are different than me. Basically, I want to know if its normal to feel this way, and how to change.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

If they were truly your friends then they would make time to do the things you like doing too. If not, then why not find a different or extra circle of friends that do enjoy these things? I am sure there are clubs that offer these activities. Why not go along?

If you still enjoy the company of these friends, I say: LOOK for the BEST in them. See them as they are, accept them as they are, and remind yourself that no one is going to be just like you (even though it would be nice!)

I feel/have felt v. similarly and while there is no magic way to erase your feelings of annoyance, do your best to see the BEST in them. Recognize the things you like in them. And then get out there and find some new friends to add to your life, ones that enjoy the same types of outdoor activities that you do. There are all kinds of outdoors clubs you can join. Make new friends, but keep the old. As you grow and expand, it is natural to want to find friends who have similar interests and enjoy what you do. There is nothing wrong with being annoyed. In fact, it could be an indication that you need to find more like-minded people in your life, ones who are truly a reflection of YOU.

Best of luck. :)

thanks guys.

I like my friends- they're really nice people, good hearted etc... its just that they're too serious and never do anything fun. But you're right - I should try to look for the best in them, and find new friends too.

Sometimes I feel that my family (my older brother and sister live at home too, and we're all really close) are my best friends. We relate more than I do with any of my friends. Since we had the same upbringing, we just understand each other and relate in practically every way.

natnat, you're v. lucky to have that!! I know it's becoming like that w/ my brother too. The older we get, the more we appreciate each other. :)