Making friends from scratch

I've always had a problem with making friends. Back when I was still in high school it was more due to the fact that I just didn't reach out to people. I was comfortable in the space that I was in and didn't necessarily want to meet new people. Even when people made an effort to reach out and try to be better friends, I just kind of shut them down. I was completely fine with that back then, mostly because my social life revolved around my ex-girlfriend, but she decided to end our relationship about a year ago.

Since then I feel like she's basically replaced what we used to have with a new best friend and boyfriend who share similar interests. I've tried and succeeded in making new friends, but I don't share the type of bond with any of them that I used to have in the past. We just don't share enough of the same interests. I feel like this is the main reason I can't completely get over my ex. I am just so envious of the social situation that she is in right now.

Like I said, I have a few different groups of friends and I see each of them at least every other week. I have tried to take advantage of the situation I'm in and meet other people and girls through them, but they're almost like cliques at this point. Nobody in nobody out. I feel like the only option I have is to go off and make new friends from scratch. Can anybody offer me any kind of suggestions or help with how I can accomplish my goal of meeting new people and forming some lasting relationships?

• 2 weeks later...
sickoflove11

I don't have many suggestions because I'm in a similar situation. We have to stop comparing ourselves to others first off. I understand it's hard, and you see your ex in her new social situation and envy that. I envy many other peoples social lives but thinking about that only makes it worse.

If I were you, I would still try to enjoy the moments with the friends you do have, unless they are toxic friendships. If they are then I have learned to just cut them completely. It's better to be alone and focus on yourself first, then it will be easier to meet people in the long run.

I wouldn't recommend finding a new gf until you are comfortably with yourself and make your own friends first. But that's just my suggestion from my own experience.

Best of luck.

todreaminblue

just be open friendly ...smile.....say hello a lot....introduce yourself in public places....talk to people at checkouts....in shops..talk to wait staff, counter staff,shop assistants who dotn appear to be too busy.......smile at everyone....get used to doing that ...then join groups you are interested in.....deb