"Work" for Friends

Shining One

On occasion, I'll do some work for friends at a discounted rate, often for free with certain friends. I've run into an issue recently and I haven't decided if I should say anything about it. This involves two friends who are not within my inner circle.

A friend asked me to wall mount his TV, run the cables through the wall, and terminate both ends with appropriate wall plates. I quoted him an hourly rate and he accepted. I told him everything we would need and he ordered them himself. When I showed up, the space was prepared and he helped me with the work. It took less than an hour and he bought us lunch. I ended up not charging him since everything was so quick and painless.

His girlfriend admired his new TV setup and asked me to do the same at her place. I quoted her the same hourly price, which she accepted. In her case, I provided all of the parts and did all of the work myself. Furthermore, her mounting job was considerably more complex and she changed her mind halfway through, thus causing more work. I was there for the better part of seven hours. I charged her for the parts and the time.

Now, onto the problem. While she was happy with the work, she apparently was not happy with the cost. She's been badmouthing my "unfairness" to some of our other friends. While I don't count on this as a major source of income, I do value my reputation. I'm not sure how to address this or if I even should. What do you guys think?

Ouch. I feel your predicament.

I'd do something...but I'm not sure what. Do you think your friends would take her at her word and doubt you? Do you tell your friends your side of the story? I assume your friends are telling you what she's out of concern rather than spite??

Was the woman aware that the job may take a number of hours?

• Like 1

If this has anything at all to do with your career/business/profession then certainly you need to do something. (If it is your 'reputation' as a friend who's good at helping people install stuff -- read, 'pride/vanity' -- then you can proceed, if that's important to you.)

First, I'd speak with the girlfriend directly, and explain exactly what and how you've explained it here, with all the pertinent details: just the facts, and matter-of-factly. Also, remind her that you did quote her a price for her job AFTER you'd done the for-free installation -- so, she had absolutely no reason to think or expect that hers would be at no charge. Ask her to stop bad-mouthing you, and to please go back to those to whom she's already given wrong/misleading information about you and fix it.

And, also do your own damage control -- explain the truth of situation to those whom you know have the wrong version, and to whomever else brings it up with you in the future.

Best of luck.

• Like 3
  • Author
Do you think your friends would take her at her word and doubt you?
I'm fairly positive most would take my side, especially those who I've done work for in the past.
Do you tell your friends your side of the story?
Yes. I've explained the situation to those who brought this to my attention.
I assume your friends are telling you what she's out of concern rather than spite??
Yes, they were bringing it to my attention out of concern.
Was the woman aware that the job may take a number of hours?
Yes. I actually came over a week before doing the work and estimated the number of hours. I also showed her the cost of the parts.
  • Author
(If it is your 'reputation' as a friend who's good at helping people install stuff -- read, 'pride/vanity' -- then you can proceed, if that's important to you.)
It's certainly more of a pride issue. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to technology setups, which is why so many of my friends have asked me to set theirs up over the years.
First, I'd speak with the girlfriend directly, and explain exactly what and how you've explained it here, with all the pertinent details: just the facts, and matter-of-factly. Also, remind her that you did quote her a price for her job AFTER you'd done the for-free installation -- so, she had absolutely no reason to think or expect that hers would be at no charge.
I thought I had explained everything clearly before I started the work and again after I gave her the invoice. It's worth another shot though. I'll ask her directly what her concerns are.
Ask her to stop bad-mouthing you, and to please go back to those to whom she's already given wrong/misleading information about you and fix it.
This sounds like the right approach. I'll give this a try. I'll also explain to her that if her setup had been as simple as her boyfriend's, I would have charged her the same (free) plus the cost of parts, which would also have been much lower.
And, also do your own damage control -- explain the truth of situation to those whom you know have the wrong version, and to whomever else brings it up with you in the future.
I've already been doing this and everyone seems to be understanding.

Did you provide her with an itemized bill? I think she had unrealistic expectations here of getting free or cheaper work, but I'd make it a policy to provide an itemized bill, even to friends and relatives, for complete transparency.

As Ronni_W advised, I'd contact her and tell her that you were clear about your billing rate and had purchased the parts out of your own pocket. She probably would have paid the same rate or even more had she hired someone else. There's no reason to argue, but your choice to do unpaid work for a particular friend is your own business, not hers.

I thought I had explained everything clearly before I started the work and again after I gave her the invoice.

To be honest -- based on what you posted here, you DID clearly explain everything to her before you started the work :).

SHE is the one who took liberties of assumption based on another event out of your life but which had nothing at all to do with her, not directly or indirectly.

That's on her, not on you.

(If you ALSO explained it again upon invoicing...well...then maybe this one just isn't too very bright? :eek:.)

• Author
Did you provide her with an itemized bill? I think she had unrealistic expectations here of getting free or cheaper work' date=' but I'd make it a policy to provide an itemized bill, even to friends and relatives, for complete transparency.[/quote']I have the same policy. I occasionally do consulting professionally, so I have an invoice template with embedded spreadsheets. I use the same template for these jobs with friends. In her case, it lists the hours with a description of what I did during those hours. The second section lists all of the parts individually with their costs. I hate people/organizations that just give a final number without a separation of costs, so I make it a policy to never do that.