Dont want to participate in room mate's birthday

My birthday was around 2-3 weeks back. Generally all my friends come with cake at midnight to celebrate. But no one showed up this time or wished me. Looks like all of them "forgot". I didn't believe their excuses since we know Facebook shows all reminders. Anyways, I was very hurt and stopped talking to them.

Now tomorrow it is my room mate's birthday. Her friends are going to show up at 12 am with cake. She was away on a trip during my birthday.

I don't want to be part of her birthday celebrations because it will remind me how no one showed up for mine and I am yet to get over what happened. I spent my birthday crying....

I want to go somewhere out and return after her friends have left.

Is this the right thing to do?

Sorry that happened :( aw that's sad. I can understand not wanting to be around that situation. If you do decide to step out though, shouldn't you tell your roommate why? If you step out without telling your roommate why, she might think you have an issue with her.

oh and happy belated birthday :)

• Like 4
  • Author

After I posted this I told my room mate what happened and she seems sympathetic. so I am thinking of staying back at home for her birthday.... I dunno... will see how I feel tomorrow evening...

• Like 2

That must be a local tradition. Never heard of cake at midnight. I know my friends generally won't do much planning unless I plan and ask them. Anyway, don't do to the roommate what was done to you if this is something that is a tradition where you live.

I wonder, do you feel they ignore or leave you out on other things? If it is just this I wouldn't worry too much. It sucks when it happens but it is not an indictment on you.

You know it bothered you when it happened to you, so be a good friend and don't do the same thing to her and slight her because of other people's actions.